5.0 out of 5 stars DARK SOULS....AMAZING AMAZING AMAZNIG!!!
I cannot put this game down it looks spectacular on the pc, although you can make the experience better by using the 'Dsfix by Durante' which is the internal rendering resolution fix.
I think it is very much needed because Dark Souls port for PC has a fixed rendering resolution of 1024x720 and the Dsfix helps unlock this.

This is not an easy game for the...
Published 24 months ago by M. J. Islam

3.0 out of 5 stars Playing this game takes more time and patience than I have
Published 24 months ago by Smallarchangel

5.0 out of 5 stars DARK SOULS....AMAZING AMAZING AMAZNIG!!!, 23 Sep 2012
M. J. Islam (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC DVD) (Computer Game)

This is not an easy game for the average gamer it demands attention and concentration.

It is so addictive and heavy in depth!

There is something about its vast world that draws you in, an excellent action RPG that raises the standards!

If your into dark lovecraftian horror, crazy monsters in a fantasy 'lord of the rings' type world, swords, dragons and magic then this is for YOU!

An excellent game which looks amazing with the Dsfix applied, don't pass this one up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique gaming experience, a true challenge and a beautiful story, 30 July 2014
Dark Souls is one of these games that'll be carved in the story of gaming. This masterpiece is a true challenge for anyone who calls themselves a gamer.

I'm sure all of you must have read the Plot of Dark Souls somewhere, so let me cover what you should take from that plot:
In Dark Souls you start as a nobody, you're an undead, the lowest kind of creature in the land of the Gods, Lodran, but at some point you're given a chance to change that. Where you start the game you have no hope, all you can do is to sit and wait for the end of the World, but an unknown Knight gives you the key to escape that place and in his last words he asks you to carry his mission: to keep the flame of life alive.
But there's no such thing as a generic story in Dark Souls
At every single place of this game you'll be remembered of one thing for sure -you're in DANGER-, every corner has a trap or enemies waiting to ambush you, and don't think that, like many other games, there'll be lots of weak enemies you can simply one-shot with your sword and barely take any damage, in Dark Souls EVERY SINGLE enemy is a challenge, if you try to be the too brave you'll die, if you hesitate you'll die, if you're not careful you'll die, if you underestimate the situation you'll die and even if you do all those things YOU'LL STILL DIE.
But honestly, it's exactly because this game is so hard, because it punishes you so much, that the feeling of beating every enemy is so rewarding. The one thing I personally really respect in Dark Souls is the fact that it won't go easy on you, you'll really have to try your best in this game, enemies are extremely intimidating and you'll lose over and over again but I swear you'll feel like a real hero in the end, because even though you started powerless and with no objectives you faced all the unfair challenges imposed on you and WON.

Now, if you're really attentive to the details of the Lore Dark Souls becomes a lot more enjoyable. The narrator of the game only speaks at the beginning, the rest of the World story is something you must figure by yourself. Be wary that it's not an easy thing to do at all! Dark Souls Lore has minimalistic details so you'll have to pay attention to item descriptions and talk with the NPCs to actually understand what's going on. In fact, no one actually knows the whole story, you'll meet many mysterious characters that'll talk about mysterious events and all we can only speculate about, but from what you learn you'll realize how rich the lore is (caution: Prepare to Cry).

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Experience, 24 Mar 2013
I've clocked many, many hours on this game and still am only half way. The 'die and replay' aspect makes the game tough at times but also makes sure that you think out your every move and it makes the game more real and more fun. The experience and atmosphere are fantastic and unlike any game I've ever played.

Gameplay is fantastic when played with an X-box controller (which I bought specifically for this game) and the story/boss/level aspect is captivating and never bores. If you're a graphics junkie, this isn't the game to get your fix from, but the graphics aren't bad - they're just not state of the art.

The fact that it is hard, without any difficulty settings, makes it only so much more rewarding when you finally are able to beat that boss or that level that you have been struggling on. However, I've never had to try more than about 15 times, whereas a typical boss would take you 5 tries.

The multiplayer aspect is also a lot of fun, plus this version comes with a nice artwork book, a poster and some postcards. An amazing buy for the overall price.

Very happy customer indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, some minor flaws and VERY HARD, 4 Feb 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly I'd like to say I'm really enjoying this game. The diversity and choice of play-style allow you to play as a character who you can metamorphose over time into anything you'd like him to be. The game itself is very brutal, punishing and forces you to learn quickly or die (and then ragequit most likely). A kind word of warning is this might be one of the most difficult and challenging games you can play. It's designed so you play cautiously but designed so that you're almost expected to die during the game.

You find yourself start in an undead asylum, or starting area where you're able to learn how to play and get some basic equipment. You go right into the deep end of the game, encountering a boss almost straight away, although it's highly recommended to run and gather better equipment before taking him on. Unfortunately, all of the hints tell you about xbox controls (see bottom paragraph) meaning when I originally started, I didn't know how to do everything or completely what my character could do. This wasn't helped by the fact that I had completely gone through my first playthrough (a fair way of the game to get used to it) without even touching magic. Nonetheless, after my 5th attempt I felled the boss and went to firelink shrine (the home or base if there ever was one)

From firelink shrine, you find yourself able to level up at bonfires (checkpoints) as well as the ability to roam wherever you'd like to. Although most of these areas are very hard or impossible to do at this stage of the game, you do have the option of going into the skeleton graveyard (to catacombs), up a lift to the undead parish, up some stairs to the undead burg, down some stairs and a lift to new londo ruins and even (via an easter egg) back to the undead asylum. Of all these, it's recommended that you go to the undead burg, especially if new. That said, it isn't unheard of to see people make it past the other areas from the start too.

In each area, you encounter enemies and in almost all areas there are also bosses. A lot of areas also have mini-bosses, which aren't bosses but do not respawn. You also have the ability to roam freely and do whatever you would like although your original quest is to ring the two bells of awakening. Once that is done, you unlock a new area (Sens fortress) and a nice reward (although I'll keep the reward a surprise). You also can encounter different NPCs and they all are unique while having varying roles. Some you can save and meet in firelink shrine, and they can give you rewards or help, while others sell you goods, upgrade weapons and armour or can be summoned to fight for you. Once you progress through the game, sometimes the NPCs can even go hollow (or die and become undead) and become hostile to you. One piece of advice is to never willingly kill or attack an NPC unless you are aware of the consequences and are happy to do so. They don't respawn and often are very powerful, meaning they will remain hostile until you absolve your sins. If you manage to kill them, anything you may have been able to obtain from them is lost permanently (so if you kill a merchant obviously you can never buy off him again). This all leads to a greater enhanced experience where you have free choices about anything within the game.

I've read many complaints about the port, about the resolution and other problems within the game. Although I've experienced minor frustrations at the port, it really isn't hard to just go on the menu (end, 3*right, enter, key settings) and check the controls every so often at the start to see what keybinds there are, and I've learned you could even play this game without a mouse (just keyboard or controller; many complaints about the mouse being hard to control although I find it fairly straightforward). Unfortunately, when interacting with anything xbox controls will still display, although these no longer bother me. Many other people have complained about the screen resolution, and I play on a 1920*1080 which is widescreen (but never default resolution on any game I've played). I found the game had a variety of resolutions you could play at, and within 2 minutes had the game running full-screen for me.

Graphically, I found the game very intensive and really interesting. The motion blur, landscapes and monsters all looked really awesome and definitely made more use of my nvidia geforce gtx560ti than most other games would. All of these elements come together into a game that I enjoy and most others would also I imagine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this game!!, 3 Sep 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Dark Souls is a fantastic game for anyone looking for a challenge. It is an incredibly difficult and demanding game but very rewarding and highly addictive. It is not really one for casual gamers but is a must for any RPG fan.

The prepare to die edition is a port from the original console release and so the developers recommend playing it with a gamepad. You can use a keyboard/mouse if you prefer but this could prove difficult as the game is definately made for a pad. Buying one of these is useful as it will allow you to use your existing xbox pad with the pc:
Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for PC USB Black

A lot of the reviews here mention a problem with a 30fps cap and low resolution but personally, I have had no issues with this. I am currently running it at 60Hz 1920x1080 so maybe it has already been patched.
The problematic areas for low frame rate on the console version (ie. blighttown) are no longer an issue and run far more smoothly on the pc. This will probably depend on how powerful your system is but it runs very well on both my desktop and far less powerful laptop with no lag at all.

The addition of the dlc to the prepare to die edition adds hours to the game and provides some backstory and new features such as pvp arenas without altering the feel of the original content or unbalancing the game.

In conclusion, playing the Prepare to Die edition on a powerful system with a gamepad will give you the best Dark Souls experience you can find and is well worth doing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Playing this game takes more time and patience than I have, 23 Sep 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
...and that's saying something. I have no problem with exploring, dungeon-trawling, even level-grinding; in fact, I'm the kind of gamer who feels compelled to cover every square foot of ground and take my time doing it. I'm no stranger to spending 300+ hours on a good game - but I don't expect to spend all of that in one area, repeating myself endlessly in some sort of hellish gaming deja-vu scenario. It's torture.

Prepare To Die? I was. I just wasn't prepared for the necessity of re-doing the same stretch of game-world, killing exactly the same enemies, 10, 20 times over whenever I did; only to get a few feet further on the next go. How is mindless repetition fun? It's not. Not for me at least!

For the sake of balance, however, I know there are many people who love the game, so perhaps it is just a case of playstyle; I just wish I had known how much repetition was involved before I bought it.
Also it is worth noting, I have had no technical issues at all - such port limitations as there are can be readily fixed, and if you play with a controller movement and combat are intuitive and straightforward. Such considerations are not what should give the potential buyer pause.

1.0 out of 5 stars Laziest port ever!, 26 Dec 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I uninstalled this game about 45 minutes after installing it so I cannot really comment of the longevity, complexity, enjoyment factor or such. But what I can say is that this feels like the laziest port from a console game ever. There are no warnings on the box, saying 'we ported this from the xbox 360 and couldn't be bothered to change things for you PC users, like the button naming'. You'll have to find out yourself what A, X, B, etc. are on the keyboard. This is really frustrating as it keeps saying press A to do this and that and of course you have to recall that q = a, right mouse = b, etc. Longer with the game would have cemented that in my memory I admit but it's not what I expect from a final product version. Before someone leaps in and says well a console controller linked to your pc will work, I agree but I don't expect to buy console controllers for my PC just because a software developer is too lazy to convert the controls. The packaging also doesn't indicate that this is a necessity. What else can I say, erm, 3rd person perpective only, jerky camera, no difficulty setting, no mouse settings (overly sensitive in my opinion), poor resolution and frame rate (apparently) although these last two things don't really bother me. It is a real shame that the company that ported the game over didn't take the opportunity to improve the game or at least make it a viable PC title. All in all a total waste of money, avoid at all costs unless you are a super fan of the series and will be able to ignore the sizeable list of annoying features!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy PC version, 12 Feb 2013
Great game, hideous port - needs a lot of independent patches to work properly, hope the second is better adapted for PC

3.0 out of 5 stars As a first timer., 9 Sep 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
i waited until the PC port of this game to finally play it, i can say this review will not be bias or fan boy based. It's a good game but tough as nail's, not in a sense like unfair hard, if you make a mistake it is your fault, not the games. Much fun and a decent challenge really getting into it, Sadly i should have picked up the console version as this games FPS is locked at 30fps and the texture fix does not work with my current card which is a shame, Over all this game is great but the poor port does not do it any justice, The game is 4.5/5 the port is 2/5

1.0 out of 5 stars It's being called the worst PC port ever, and sadly it's not surprising at all!, 5 Sep 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I'm more than a little surprised by this game. I watched a review the other day that claimed the terrible controls were "understandable" since in his opinion the game was always meant to be played with a controller. It was a cop-out so bad, part of me wondered if he'd been paid for it. To say that the absolutely heinous keyboard and mouse controls are "understandable" is to ignore the outright laziness of the port.

Believe me, as a PC gamer first and foremost, I've seen many a port - some good, some bad - but this has horrified me. I don't usually take to sites to warn people of how bad a port is because, honestly, a lot of mistakes can be shrugged off in certain circumstances. Games like Mass Effect 2/3 only use 1 button for interacting and sprinting, and Sleeping Dogs is much the same as a consequence of the design for a platform with few buttons to use. These things we can forgive, provided they don't interfere too much and the game is good, and in the case of Mass Effect 2/3 and Sleeping Dogs, the games are great and that flaw becomes so minor in the scheme of things.

But Dark Souls is a terrible TERRIBLE port! More than dozen times online I've caught sight of someone claiming it's the worst port to PC ever, and I can see why many would say that. Personally, I prefer the level of focus and control available on PC, that's one of the main reasons I'm a PC gamer, and so I have I've waited ages for this game to become available on PC. You really need that level of control on a game like DARK SOULS!

But after the long wait, even if I only count the months since the PC version was announced, I have to wonder what the HELL the developers were doing in all that time.

Here I have this incredible game, that is hard as all hell but keeps drawing me back despite my frustrations. And now I'm hobbled by controls that give you less focused control than on a game pad. The movement is horrendous and seriously clumsy. To make matters worse, the instructions in-game haven't been edited for PC, leaving you confused as to how to do things if you aren't using a controller (since "hold down right thumbstick to..." doesn't work for keyboard and mouse) and the menu is no help with that, listing the vague action term beside your assigned keyboard key rather than the controller equivalent.

And on top of that, the screen sizes have been made for the most obscure monitor sizes imaginable and you will need to download a mod made by another gamer just to make it work. Said mod also ups the graphics from DirectX 9 to DX11, something else that the developers haven't done. That the game had to be fixed by a modder outside of the game company really makes you wonder what DID the developers do in all the time since the PC version was announced?!

The game also sports the Games For Windows Live program, which you will have to log into to play. This problem remains even on Steam versions of the game, so those people will have to log on to 2 different forms of DRM to play, but when leveled against everything else, the DRM isn't much of a problem.

I have to say, I'm horrified. I was looking forward to this game since I tried it's predecessor once years ago. Honestly, it'll be hard to get angry about any port-bugs in future games after this monstrosity. It'll just come down to "well, at least it isn't Dark Souls!"

Some people have suggested that if you buy a wired xbox controller, you can play the game happily, but the fact is THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the PC version of the game and the console version is a few hours of extra gameplay that will be available on the console versions in a few months. So really, if you wanted to play with a controller, you'd be better off just playing the console version.

In my opinion, the developers have done a huge disservice to a great game, its fans and any potential new customers. They have showed how lazy a company can be when making a game available to PC gamers and left many with the impression that they were simply trying to open up a new source of revenue with no thought of the people who would buy. The game itself IS good, buried under layers and layers of crap, which is what other reviewers are commenting on when they praise it.

So, honestly, if you're thinking of buying this game for PC, DON'T!! Buy the console version if you're happy enough with that. If you already have it, then just wait for the DLC to become available on consoles to avoid major disappointment! And I say none of this lightly.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC DVD)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC DVD) by Namco Bandai (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
13.79