5.0 out of 5 stars delicious read!!
Published on 24 May 2012 by Chanatkins

2.0 out of 5 stars will pass the time...
Published 4 months ago by Fiona

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious read!!, 24 May 2012
I am not normally an avid reader of 'chick lit' fiction, however I have been pleasantly surprised with this novel, and would definitely read more of Amy's books because of it. I read it in a few days, and kept going back to it any chance I had, so it is certainly a story that hooks you in. I loved the character of Eve, and was soon drawn into her world, which is turned upside down by the unexpected arrival of her long lost love Ethan. There are many surprises and twists in this book, and also many laugh out loud moments. I found the relationship between Eve and her sister Daisy very poignant and complex, and beautifully written. I came to love and care about all of the characters in the story, they are all flawed in their own way, but with good intentions, and seem like the kind of people you would enjoy having dinner and wine with!! the way it is split into four parts, for each contestants supper in the competition, separates the book nicely, and each chapter leaves you hanging on wanting to know what will happen next. From someone who does not pick up chick lit books very often, I can really reccommend this book, it will make you smile!

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious reading!, 10 May 2012
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Eve is happily living in London with her boyfriend Joe, who she got together with after the disappearance of Ethan, the love of her life. She's opening a café and everything seems to be going well. When Joe begs her to take part in a supper club for a local newspaper, she reluctantly agrees but doesn't realise it's going to change her life completely. When she opens the door to her first guest, she's shocked to find Ethan standing there. What is he doing back in London, and why exactly did he run away 3 years ago never to be heard from again? Join Eve, Maggie, Ethan and Andrew for four evening's of delicious food, and a few surprise revelations along the way too!

The book dives straight in with the first meal at Eve's home, and I enjoyed that there wasn't too much setting up and it got straight into the action. Instead, Bratley choses to tell the backstory between Joe and Eve deciding to take part in the supper club, and then Eve and Ethan's relationship through little flashback throughout the first few chapters, and it was fun to read. It flitted back and forth rather easily, and I loved how I was left in suspense in parts because something would happen, and then it would jump back to another flashback, and I'd be left wondering what happened, which was fantastic! The book is written in the first person from Eve's point of view, so the flashback type of narrative works really well, and it really allows us to get into the mind of Eve and understand her reactions and why she does what she does in the book.

The dinner party part of the book was really fun to read. The book is split into 4 parts - one for each of the dinner parties and the story with Eve, Ethan and Joe progresses around these. Bratley writes the dinner parties with humour, but also manages to throw in some amazing descriptions of the food being cooked, the drinks being drunk and the homes of the people involved too. Some bits made me laugh out loud, especially poor old Andrew, and I really enjoyed getting to the know the 3 other contestants alongside Eve. They were all very different, and that's why the book worked so well, because they each bought something to it, and I liked how Bratley really set these people up as their own characters as well, not just there for the purposes of the supper club. My favourite was certainly Andrew, you can't help but feel sorry for the guy and you know his heart is in the right place!

So, why did I have to knock half a star off this otherwise fantastic book? Well, without spoiling it at all, it has to be because of the ending. I was left thinking "WHAT?!" because I just couldn't understand why it happened, and I was most displeased with the decisions made! Strangely though, The Saturday Supper Club is one one of those books where the ending is completely obvious from the beginning, which I really liked but it did leave me disappointed when it did conclude in a way I wasn't happy with! However, despite this little niggle for me, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the book and zoomed through it in a couple of days because it was fantastic. I loved the writing, the plot and the characters, and the addition of some delicious sounding suppers didn't hurt either! It's a novel twist on a tried and tested telly format, but it worked really well, and Bratley has written a wonderful book that you'll want to devour in one sitting! Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book!, 30 May 2012
Kim The Book Worm (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Started it Sunday night, couldn't put it down and finished it Monday night. Think that says it all really!

Eve's world was completely shattered three years ago when boyfriend Ethan disappeared out of her life with no reason or explanation. After a long time of hurt, her heart was finally repaired and she got together with childhood friend Joe who she is very comfortable with, very happy with and who loves her with all his heart.

Joe is a freelance journalist and when an article was due to be written about a Saturday Supper Club experience and one of the contestants dropped out Joe asks Eve whether she would stand in. She reluctantly agrees and is the first to host the guests. When her doorbell rings she is totally and utterly gobsmacked when the person standing on her doorstep is her long lost love Ethan!

After taking in the knowledge that he has reappeared in her life, Eve wants an explanation from Ethan. But is the Supper Club the right place to get it?

This book was absolutely tremendous and I really could not put it down. Eve and her sister Daisy lost their mom when both children were young girls and the way that writer Amy Batley writes about their emotions is outstanding. Having lost my own darling mom, not at an early age but later in life, I sat and sobbed when Amy described how Eve had been sat at her moms bedside as she was taken from them. They also cared so much about their dad who was trying to keep himself together and tried then to bring them up the best way a single dad possibly can. That all hit home I can tell you!

The confusion that Eve felt between her new love Joe and her old love Ethan was an amazing rollercoaster of feelings; the hurt that she originally felt when Ethan left her and yet the pleasure she felt again at having this man who was the love of her life in her eyes back in her life again after all this time combined with the guilt of should she tell Joe and if so, just exactly what should she tell him?

This book was excellently written and is a mixture of love, hurt, family, parenthood, sisterhood and friendship. I shed tears a number of times throughout! You had no idea at any point in the book what was going to happen next which kept it fresh, interesting, intriguing and needing to just keep on reading! I loved every minute of it! Even the bits that made me cry!

Difficult to believe that this is only the authors second novel as it really was in my humble opinion up to the standards of some of the best world class chick-lit writers around and her writing is totally outstanding hooking you right from the very first page. I will SO be checking out her first Novel and will be extremely excited to find out more about Amy Bratleys plans for the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, heart-warming and acutely observed. Do not file simply under "chick lit", 19 Jun 2012
Having read Amy Bratley's first book I have to say *hands up* I am not normally a chick-lit reader. But I really couldn't wait for her second novel after stumbling across her first; "The Girl's Guide To Home-making". I was totally drawn in by her wonderfully acute and brilliantly observed characterisation - and the fact that she sets her novels firmly in a London that any creative-leaning, vintage-appreciating young woman will immediately recognise! I loved the added thrill of knowing the exact drinking holes and cocktail corners of London that her brilliantly drawn characters frequent, as well as recognising the often laugh-out-loud familiar observations of friendship, family, life and love in a big city.

"The Saturday Supper Club" did not disappoint. There is a mystery that needs to be gradually unravelled (why DID Ethan leave Eve so suddenly and out of the blue?) and what will become of Eve's about-to-open cafe? The fact that the book takes the format of TV's "Come Dine With Me" transferred to a local rag's competition, you have the added hilarity Amy cleverly bringing together an assorted mix of characters for us to get to know, and to cringe along with as they get on with their drink-fuelled culinary evenings - each evening with it's own inevitable jeopardy and cliffhanger.

But there is a lot more to be unravelled in "The Saturday Supper Club"; the issues two sisters deal with after the death of their mother and subsequently the task of looking after their father, close friendships that can't stay the same forever, a sudden end to a relationship that needs to be explained, and the deeper darker secrets that lie just beneath all these - secrets we keep to protect the ones we love.

Thoroughly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars will pass the time..., 24 Jun 2014
If you want a quick book to read on holiday or such then this will probably do. Can't say it sets the literary world alight, or sets any standards for strong women in literature either. It's the usual story of a woman happy with her boyfriend till scummy ex turns up out of the blue. He says he still loves her, she believes him. This is then followed by much self obsessed ramblings by the "heroine" aka wet hankie ("he was my soul mate ,the love of my life, so it's ok I'm a cheating, lying silly billy. Oh I'm so CONFUSED!! Poor me). Huge plot twist!!!!- turns out scummy ex left wet hankie because he shagged her sister and is the father of her child. (what a dick, right?!). This results in wet hankie not only destroying her good relationship, but also blowing her family apart.... To be honest I wouldn't care so much about the plot if the end wasn't so crap. I spent the whole book waiting for her to grow a pair and tell the scumbag to take a hike and after the Jeremy Kyle-like twist I was sure it was going to happen. Sadly not. She choose to get back with the scumbag and throw her self respect out the window.The end.

5.0 out of 5 stars modern chick lit with a tasty twist, 19 May 2012
After reading Amy Bratleys first novel I was keen to get started on this next book and she did not disappoint. The characters once again so believable, both likable and flawed. She writes with a real honesty and always a trace of humour that makes her books so relatable. In this case the decisions Eve has to make are some we have probably all had to confront in some way and all the family jealousys and insecurities and complications that crop up in life are dealt with brilliantly. The ending was not predictable as it so often can be and it is very hard to put this book down. I would recommend this as a great read to anyone and again I will be looking out for anymore that come along. As with her first book there are sprinklings of food and drink references that mean a well stocked fridge and wine rack would go hand in hand whilst enjoying this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not 100% sure about this one, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Saturday Supper Club (Kindle Edition)
I quite enjoy watching Come Dine With Me as now and again you come across a marvellous feckless character who makes you snort with laughter. Perhaps part of my disappointment with this book is that none of the characters were like that. They were all a bit too "normal". There was not much humour and I feel this book could have done with more humour.

Our main character Eve, who is apparently in her 20s, comes across as about 18. She's a likeable enough girl but frets away about things so often and so regularly that I just wanted to shake her. (Shaking the Kindle doesn't work by the way - nor does saying "For heaven's sake woman ... get a grip!) I also started wondering why, in the 2000s she worries away about marriage proposals - I mean, it's not set in the 1950s so what's that about?

Eve's sister Daisy is a bit ghastly. And I think if she'd had more of a role in the book then perhaps that would have provided the humour ...

The other thing that intruded on my reading was the way the author moved the characters around. It was like reading unnecessary stage directions ... I just wanted to read the story. A bit of editing would have helped tremendously.

The story was OK, the characters were reasonably well drawn, overall it was an OK read, but not one that I will read again.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read for a lazy summer weekend, 21 May 2012
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I still haven't read Amy Bratley's debut novel, The Girl's Guide to Homemaking, which has had some amazing reviews but I had been looking forward to reading this book as from the back cover blurb it had a Come Dine With Me feel about it which is one of my TV guilty pleasures.

When Eve's boyfriend Joe rings her up to ask her to fill in as a contestant in a Saturday Supper Club contest that the newspaper he's working for is running, she reluctantly agrees even though she's to be the first host and only has a day to get her menu sorted!

Eve gets the shock of her life when she opens the door to her first guest Ethan, her ex-boyfriend who left with no explanation three years ago. She doesn't have much time to deal with her emotions before the rest of her guests arrives, Maggie, Andrew and photographer Paul. Instead she heads to the kitchen to try and compose herself and a few glasses of wine certainly help but doesn't help with her cooking!

At the end of the evening she still hasn't managed to speak to Ethan alone so she's as confused as ever but his appearance has re-opened old wounds that she thought had healed. When she tells her friends and family that Ethan showed up at the supper club, they advise her to tell Joe that Ethan was one of the contestants and not to go to the remaining three dinner parties.

However, Eve's emotions get the better of her and she wants to find out from Ethan what had happened to make him leave so suddenly. Throughout the remaining three dinner parties, we get to learn a little bit about the lives of the other three participants and we also get to see flashbacks that help to explain a little more about the events that led up to Ethan's disappearance.

The book was written with plenty of comedic moments throughout including Eve's disastrous fish stew with its missing ingredients, Maggie's attempts to get them belly dancing after a few drinks and Andrew's disastrous dinner party in his front garden!

So how does it all turn out for Eve and co, I'm not going to spoil it for you so you'll have to read the book for yourself. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, even if the ending was pretty predictable from quite early on, and got through it no time at all so would have no hesitation in recommending to others.

1.0 out of 5 stars very boring., 13 Feb 2013
I've only got to page 80, and don't think that I want to read any further. I feel that I want to give Eve a smack and tell her to act her age and get a life. I might give it another try when have nothing else to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 25 Dec 2012
I liked the writing style but I didn't really warm to the main character eve. Would read another bratley book but hopefully I will get into the story quicker.

However there is plenty of story line and twists and turns. All in all not a bad read.

The Saturday Supper Club