4.0 out of 5 stars $100 startup
Published on 18 Sep 2012 by SSP

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is more for inspiration
First, I want to make clear that this book is good and worth your interest. However if you are looking for the 100$ plan or some other exact tips, then you should look somewhere else or look for the v2 of this book.

Couple notes about the book:
Published 23 months ago by J-Xel

4.0 out of 5 stars $100 startup, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: The $100 Startup: Fire Your Boss, Do What You Love and Work Better to Live More (Kindle Edition)
Most business books tell you to do something, or act now etc. That's great and I agree, but many of us (like me) who read these types of books are logical brain type of people who aren't too creative and find it difficult to connect the dots and create a business opportunity out of problems that are staring us in the face. This book is great because it is full of EXAMPLES, which is always what is lacking in most business books. I thought this was an excellent book because of that angle that it took. I would highly recommend it over many "established" business book authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical handbook and very good motivational tool, 27 Jun 2012
I have read Tim Ferris' "4-hr work week" book. Was good, ver inspirational. "$100 start-up" is the next step. Very practical, easy to follow advice on how to get your little business going. It blends helpfull tips with snapshot of experiences form others who made it already.
If you have the fire in you, this book will help you turn it into a very rewarding way of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, very inspirational, 6 Aug 2012
dave "Davebettuk" (LONDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
business looks like a very scary concept for people in suits. This book breaks it down and opens the world to many possibilities to anyone who has an idea, determination and as the title suggests a not so large sum to start out. Read this book from page to page with pure enjoyment and its a fantastic read. Highly recommend anyone who is looking to start out and needs some inspiration

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is more for inspiration, 25 Jan 2013

Couple notes about the book:
- The author uses the book to promote either his other ventures (travel hacking) or partners/collaborators, which is cool, as I got excited about travel hacking through this book
- The advises are more to inspire, as the rules/ways of creating successful business varies a lot from area to area
- The author however does give some good to-dos or guidelines to create a attractive offer and how to sell it.

2.0 out of 5 stars So so, 11 Jun 2014
Found this book rather disappointing which is a shame because the author and his particular story intrigued me.
The book didn't really contain much depth whatsoever which is great for those who don't want to feel as though they're trying process advanced calculus when they're only just okay with basic maths. I just felt that the stories of the entrepreneurs within the book were here, there and everywhere but with little insight.

It felt a bit like being taken on a 'been here, done that' whip dash tour by a guide who hasn't really stopped to ask anyone for questions at any point. The book failed to grab me nor make me feel any real sense of get up and go...perhaps this is because other books (even newspaper articles!) had done a much better job. I think my main source of dissatisfaction came from the fact that I really really wanted to like it and the author still intrigues me, but it was a bit like new artists that pop up all the time...some stand out more than others and have that natural charisma and others just blend and eventually become forgettable. A bit like this book. Except it's hard to forget that I paid more for it than it was worth.

For a book that was meant to help keep me going on my commute to a job that I hated (I have since left but not because of anything within the book. Actually I finished 'bothering to read' the book months before my resignation), it often became passed up in favour of the free London newspaper. Pity really...

5.0 out of 5 stars You can do it, 25 May 2012
C. Nabb "cpn" (London) - See all my reviews
I found this to be an excellent book.

It's joined up from beginning to end loaded with great advice and it's a very easy and entertaining read.

Like many other books on this subject it's not going to tell you exactly how to create your own business because no book can but it does set out some simple steps you can take. These steps are backed up by many stories from people who have been there, done it and created good income businesses doing what they love.

I think that a number of people are going to find this book to simplified and say that there is not enough detailed information but in my opinion there really doesn't need to be anything more. What's here is more then enough to create your business, the only thing missing is the imagination and the effort from the reader. If you are lazy and want it all done for you this, like all the others, isn't the book for you. If you are willing to put in the hours and think differently you will get a lot from this book.

As I wrote at the beginning of the review this is an excellent book and as with Chris's previous book it's filled with inspiration to help you along your way.

Well done Chris.

5.0 out of 5 stars Demystifies the art and science of entrepreneurship, 21 Jun 2012
Mr. T. Allen - See all my reviews
Before opening this book, I had absolutely no knowledge of how to run my own business and make a living on my own terms. Having read it twice and bought 2 more copies for friends, I now have a strong grasp of how little I actually need to know in order to do these things. The basics are exactly that: create something with value, have a way to get paid, and find the first customer. Why it was never explained in such simple terms, with real life examples of the people and the exact figures involved, until now - I have no idea.

The book, of course, goes into a good level of detail about these points, and covers the 'why' as much as the 'how'. Anyone who would like to make ends meet through what they're passionate about and skilled in, but has no idea where to start, should be reading this book right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely useful and as always inspirational!, 26 May 2012
I have read a lot of business and self help books over the years and still found Chris' approach in the $100 Start Up refreshing, inspiring and definitely useful! Whilst the many case studies give great opportunity to apply different marketing approaches to one's own business, I also highlighted plenty of pages with check lists and questions to answer directly for myself. I thought Chris uses some great analogies to explain marketing concepts and also smiled regularly at some funnier parts in his writing. It is fast and easy to read, chunked into relevant topics and chapters, and definitely inspired me to apply some of his thoughts to projects I am working on. Not all businesses described might have been started with just $100 but the biggest point is that they have started somewhere, with very little, often unexpectedly so. Thus if you are umming and ahhing about whether to go for your business idea or not, this book will give you a great reality check.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recently Finished - Could Not Put It Down, 30 July 2012
I have recently finished reading this book on my Kindle and once I started I could not put it down.

I have started several businesses myself with the aim of starting them on a budget so this book was right up my street and it did not disappoint.

It was great to read about other peoples experiences of starting a business and hearing how they did it without spending hardly any money to get things up and running.

If you are thinking about starting a business, especially an online business then you need to give this book a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives you the boost you need to get started!, 26 May 2012
This is an excellent book for those people who are considering setting up their own business but don't think they can afford to. While not all the examples started with $100 most of them did and the rest started with less than $1000. Considering what $100 in pounds these days then that's not bad going.

The book provides lots of great examples - all of which are people who started with little and made excellent profits - and keep on making them. There are some useful checklists and worksheets throughout the book to take you through the start up process and despite the title uses examples from all over the world so this book is relevant to everyone.

For this price I'd definitely say buy it. It's an interesting book which you can dip into when you need to, with all the worksheets also available on line.