Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 8 May 2012
Firstly, let me say 'zombie' stories, aren't usually my thing. This came recommended to me, so i decided to give it a go. Truth be told, i'm glad i did. I decided to 'try before i buy', and used the 'sample' option. Needless to say, i was straight away buying the full version. I was hooked. The book was gripping, gory, action-packed. For anyone interested in 'zombie thrillers', this is the book for you. Even, if not, like me, give it a go. It is an easy to read book, which i found difficult to put down. To me, this is always the sign of a good book.

The author, for his first book, has done extremely well. I hope to read books in the future by this author, perhaps a sequel? I would have no hesitation in recommending this book to anybody. A good read. Well done.

X
on 2 November 2015
As your average zombie apocalypse novel it was a decent take on the idea somewhat different from the others of the overused genre. If you're looking for a deeply intense read look elsewhere. If you're looking to kill a few hours with some light fiction then take a shot. In short there are better zombie stories out there but there are far worse ones as well.
In a note to the author, try to make your characters a little deeper, the story would benefit no end.
on 28 January 2013
If you are a fan of the movie 'Dawn of the Dead' or a fan of the tv series 'The Walking Dead' then this is certainly a novel for you to read. I find it even more intriguing, being English, as it is set in England.

This novel is very exciting from the very beginning. If you imagine a bank robbery scene from 'The Sweeney' tv series, this is how the novel begins. However, a few chapters into the book and it completely changes into a horror/zombie type novel. It actually reminds me a little of 'From Dusk Till Dawn'. One moment it is a crime/thriller and the next it is some action-packed horror. I found this to be an exciting, fast-paced read with well written characters and a well thought-out plot.

Also, because of the turn of events, it forces characters to work together when they should be opposed to each other, i.e. bank robbers working with civilians and the police, etc. This adds another layer of tension amid the main story.

Some could say a negative about this novel is that similar stories have been written, but if you are interested in this type of story I would urge people to read it.

I also like the fact that the author, Gary Richardson, has written a couple of pages at the end explaining where the idea came from for the novel and how it became a part of his life.
on 11 February 2014
The authors notes detail how Purple Haze evolved from Zombie chats that a group of friends had back in the day and to be honest, that is how it reads.

It's a bog standard zombie story picking out the traditional themes that will be familiar to fans of The Walking Dead, etc.

Writing is fine - basic but readable. Characters are 'cardboard cut-outs' and considering how they are thrown together, there is little tension between them. As is the norm, the cause of the outbreak is never explained and the ending is sudden.

Nothing really wrong with the book, but offers nothing new.
on 15 May 2012
For a first book this is an excellent read. I must admit I am not usually a fan of the genre but I am always interested in trying new authors.
The test of a good book for me is how often I put it down. In this case, as infrequently as possible! It kept me riveted, cheering for the heroes - even though some of them started the book as bank robbers and murderers!
The basic plot, a bank robbery in a small town, expands to encompass a disaster of unknown proportions, potentially encompassing the whole of humanity. Through twists and turns, a small group of survivors come to realise that they are in the minority and, with blood-curdling and sometimes excruciating detail, they battle their way through ever more desperate and overwhelming odds.
As unlikely as I find the premise of zombies and their need to attack anything living, I found the descriptions raised the hairs on the back of my neck on more than one occasion. It is a long time since this sort of horror story got my attention.
We are left at the end with the distinct impression that there is more to come from this ever-expanding story and I, for one, very much look forward to a sequel.
on 29 July 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked the characters very much and found the way that they dealt with their situation very real - the helplessness that you would naturally feel and the way that one particular character lost hope and just gave in. The heroes in these types of stories never just give in like you would when all hope seems to be gone and you say "okay, enough now. Just eat me and get it over with". Excellent story telling and I look forward to the next one

My only gripe would be the lack of a good editor. The grammar policewoman in me was crying out for someone to correct the numerous mistakes. I'd be happy to do it for free
on 2 August 2012
I downloaded this on my Kindle as it was rated highly (albeit only 8 ratings). But unfortunately I did not enjoy it at all. The very first thing that frustrated me was the lack of backgound research that had gone into it. PCSO's are not voluntary - you are thinking of Special Constables, PCSO's are Police Staff and do not have to power of arrest. These little inaccuracies always signal a badly written book because let's face it - The internet these days makes getting it right quite easy! Throughout I kept thinking I had downloaded someones GCSE homework. It was full of painful blocks of speech and really badly attempted character 'development'. I stuck with it because I never leave a book half read, and I'm glad I got to the end, beacuse the author explained he had originally written it as a kid. It shows!
on 7 June 2012
I highly recommend this book to anyone.
I bought it on kindle for the bargain price of £1.91 and enjoyed it so much i bought a 'proper' copy of the book as well!
A love letter to classic zombie apocalypse stories influenced by 20 years of sci-fi watching.
I really enjoyed the fact its set in Leyland and Preston too!
well worth a look x
on 26 April 2012
Well written and interesting book, set in my hometown. On the surface it appears to be a novel about a bank robbery gone wrong, but it all takes an unexpected turn with the appearance of a purple hued mist...
on 6 August 2012
Feel the need to write an actual review being as most of the 5 stars have only ever reviewed one book and all take the same tack which screams fake review. If you've never read a Zombie book before try one of the more well known and highly praised books.

The book was originally written when the author was in his teen's and it shows. The gore focuses on the same 2 or 3 aspects of the zombies appearance and is repeated constantly throughout. The ending is disappointing in that it feels rushed and one escape in particular is completely unbelievable. Mistakes all over which badly need the eye of an editor. Some parts simply don't make sense such as the state of the rescue centre when they first arrive and an ending taken from Dawn of the Dead.

All that aside the story itself is actually very good it's the execution in small parts through out the book and lack of attention to detail that let it down and remind you constantly that it's only a story. The build up isn't too slow and once it gets going I found it hard to put down. It's a shame the parts which aren't well thought out detract so much from the story like the need to get people picked off it felt as if you were doing it just for the sake of it and only because you hadn't killed someone in a while.