5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific book - can't wait for his account of the Americas
I bought this book after hearing Alastair Humphreys give a talk on his adventures, when I was awestruck by his courage, fortitude and zest for life. The book gives a real insight into what ordinary people he met on his journey were like. We all have images of war torn nations and terrorism thrown at us on a daily basis - but this book serves to remind that there are a...
Published on 28 Dec 2006 by W. May

3.0 out of 5 stars a great adventure.
I'm pleased I've read Alastairs book but just wish he had put as much love and enthusiasm into writing about every country he past though as he did the African ones.
I would have like to feel I was riding with him rather than just the a brief glimpse of some of the countries. All I really know is I don't ever want to visit Africa.
Published 7 months ago by Barbara

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 15 Nov 2011
A great read and inspirational. reading this book gave me the confidence organize my own adventure.much more than just an account of an increabible journey

5.0 out of 5 stars a Journey for both the eyes and the soul, 15 Nov 2011
D. Beachley (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
Having read a number of bicycle touring books, I would argue that Humphrey's account is one of the best. He not only takes you along for the ride, but also shares the doubts and inner struggles that accompany everyone who solo tours into the unknown. His stories on finding joy among the simplist of peoples, and his yearning to return to them and the spartan life of the road after living in an occasional oasis of relative luxury in a nice hotel or other similar accommodations reveals alot about the soul of this man and what it takes to tackle such an arduous but rewarding journey. Absolutely great reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration in words, 14 Nov 2011
After hearing about Alastair's epic 4 year bike ride around the world i was fascinated that it was possible, so to then find he did it for so little (about £4 a day) caught my attention.

The book tells his story of the journey with the highs and lows all included and unlike so many other books that are just travelogues telling you the same as you get in any guide book Alastair tells of his adventure from his point of view. We hear of the insights he has that this is hard, or good , or plain scary - Brilliant.

I love some of the description too and recommend the second instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, funny, inspiring, 10 July 2014
One of the best adventure/travel books I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book. I read it in a couple of ..., 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: Moods of Future Joys: Around the World by Bike - Part 1 (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic book. I read it in a couple of days on holiday and felt so inspired. What an incredible adventure. In fact I enjoyed it so much I ended up reading bits out loud to my partner. Very highly recommended! !

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read, 8 Dec 2006
Jonny BB (macc, england) - See all my reviews
it took me a train ride! i was so hooked ive read it twice since i received it (about two weeks ago). what alastair achieved really is an amazing feat. it takes some imagining to even comprehend such a small portion of his epic journey. congratulations on completing it, but also on writing such a fantastic book. could the hardest bit have been knowing what to put in and what you could possibly leave out?

4.0 out of 5 stars Smashing read, 4 Dec 2006
D. Hockey - See all my reviews
I've just spent the last week or so reading "Moods of future joys", excellent stuff. I was quite suprised by just how good this book actually is. I've read a few travel novels (Bill Bryson always stands out) but this certainly is one of the best I've read.

Alastair Humphreys tells of an amazing journey of self-discovery. It has some incredibly funny parts ("Simba is very, very fast" springs to mind) as well as some sad tales. This overall is an amazing record of a small portion of an incredible four years.

The only downside is that it'll leave you wanting more, for which there certainly is.I cannot wait for the next part to come out, spell-binding stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring fix for adventure seekers and addicts, 19 Sep 2014
A wonderful book of adventure and life on the road that inspires and makes great journeys seem achievable by all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Sep 2014
J. Campbell "JodieRC" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Great read of an incredible journey. Inspirational stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 20 Sep 2014
Brilliantly written book about an epic adventure.

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›