4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for beginners and budget photographers
Published on 12 Aug. 2012 by Keeley

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap underwater camera
Good value for the money but beware, the buttons are quite stiff to operate I guess due to the need for waterproofing and if you try to zoom or press any buttons while videoing you get an awful squeaking noise picked up by the microphone. Still camera ok in decent daylight but not fantastic otherwise.
Published 19 months ago by Mr S J Gale

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for beginners and budget photographers, 12 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Vivitar DVR950WHD 10.1MP Underwater HD Digital Camcorder Red (Waterproof up to 10 feet, 2.4" Screen, Li-Ion Battery) (Electronics)
I am a young amateur photographer, but I like good quality photos and pay attention to composition and focus. I use cameras for everyday use and nature photography. I have a Panasonic Lumix DSLR but I love snorkeling so I wanted to get an underwater camera, and I chose this one. I was prepared for much lower quality than my other camera, but I wanted to be able to get decent photos of underwater wildlife. I have found that this camera is not really ideal for this purpose, as it is not good for close-up images of small creatures, and fish swim too quickly to be photographed. However, for the low price I have decided to keep it for casual photography. In my opinion it is a better choice than similar, more expensive cameras before you reach the more professional underwater DSLRs. I would highly recommend it to beginners and people on a budget.

Pros:
-Cheap for an underwater camera.
-Genuinely waterproof. The battery compartment is the most common leak site in underwater cameras, and this one is double-sealed so water can seep through but is stopped by the second seal, ensuring the battery and SD card stay dry.
-Lightweight, while feeling like a substantial camera.
-It floats! There must be an air pocket inside the main body, because the camera floats to the surface if you let go. It comes with a yellow wrist-strap which, along with the brightly coloured casing, makes it easy to find if you let go in the sea.
-Takes very nice video, with decent sound capture.
-Takes good photos above water, so it isn't just for underwater settings. This makes it great to use in the rain.

Cons:
-The inside of the lens mists up in cold temperatures, especially in the sea. Rubbing the lens to warm it up helps, but it can make photos blurry.
-The screen is very dark underwater, so it's hard to tell what the camera's pointing at. Personally, this is my biggest difficulty with the camera as I'm nit-picky with my photo composition.
-The battery power seems to deplete over a short time, even when not turned on. I make sure to put mine on charge at least an hour before going out.
-The tight seals around the buttons make it very difficult to push them underwater. I turn the camera on and change settings above water, so I don't have to struggle pressing them underwater.
-Underwater photo quality is not brilliant, and it's almost impossible to catch moving subjects. However, for the price, it is more than acceptable for casual photography.

Tips:
-When taking the camera out of water to take more photos, wipe the lens first to remove water droplets. If you don't, you'll get blurry patches on your photos.
-Take note of differences in temperature, like when putting the camera into cold water. Try to remove any mist before taking photos, otherwise they'll be blurry.
-If you're going somewhere on a rainy day, take this camera along even if you have a better quality 'above water' one. This camera is perfect for use in rain or snow.
-The camera is set to video when it turns on, so remember to get the right setting every time before taking photos. I recommend changing settings as needed before putting it underwater, because of the dark screen and stiff buttons.
-The focus of this camera is quite far away, so it's pretty useless for getting close-up photos. I recommend keeping 1 metre (3 feet) minimum distance between the camera and subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera!, 4 Oct. 2012
I bought this camera so i could take it on holiday and use it in the sea and pool! It was amazing! The camera quality is great above and below the water and even when zooming in! However, do not go from hot straight to cold as the lense will mist up a bit inside making the photos a but blurry! But dont let this put you off, you wont be dissappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars camcorder, 24 Dec. 2012
Mr. K. Dawson - See all my reviews
super bit of kit for the money.
easy to use , bought as a first camcorder for my grand daughter.
she loves it ,only nine years old but becoming a budding film maker.
does every thing it says on the tin!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera, 28 Feb. 2013
This is the second camera of this type we have purchased. I broke the first one when banging it on some coral in the Maldives and water got in it.
It takes really good underwater video & picyures

4.0 out of 5 stars Camcorder, 15 Feb. 2013
Good VFM but zoom could be better. Image quality okay but viewfinder quality is not so good. Underwater case would be useful for greater depths.

4.0 out of 5 stars my grandson was very pleased with this camera, 12 Jan. 2013
bought for my 11yr old grandson to take to florida in february so he has not used it underwater yet. He did use it over xmas and it was fine

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap as Chips and Great fun., 21 May 2013
A. Culver (UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking at second hand under water cameras 7.1Mp for £10 less than this then realised that I can buy this for an extra tenner and it'd do video.

I was impressed that it arrived with a bit of charge - that you can have a bit of a play with it before you plug it in.

It zooms in and out and probably has some other functionality other than that but Wow. I'm sold. The first day I stuck a stick in it and took it to a swimming lesson. in a 7m wide pool, it was clear as a clear thing right across the pool.

The children swam underwater to the camera and it auto focussed all the way - BARGAIN. the stick slot is protected by a dodgey clasp but it does its job (so far) and I've No real complaints.

I wear glasses so wasn't going underwater with it so the view finder was obscured by the reflections of the surface of the pool - but that's my fault, if I'd had goggles, it'd have been fine.

I brought it home and stuck the USB cable (supplied) into my machine and the other end in the camera and BLAM, the files were available. I haven't yet had the manual out of its plastic bag. It's simple and does the job - I'm more than happy.

the view finder seems perfectly adequate to see what you're pointing at but the whole thing takes quite a while to start up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 14 Jun. 2013
Works well, sturdy and my 8 year old son loves it, looks good. The buttons are all a bit stiff but I expect that is due to the waterproofing. Don't forget to buy a memory card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value & item as described, 6 July 2014
5* Seller. Superfast dispatch & delivery. Great value
& item as described. Thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars Vivitar underwater camcorder., 8 Sept. 2013
Geoffrey Douglas Fisher "G.D.Fisher" (cholsey oxon) - See all my reviews
purchased for my brother inlaw, he seems pleased no complaints, a very good service as usual, many thanks, to all concerned.