5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product
Published on 21 Nov. 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars I just can't get it to work!
Published on 1 Feb. 2013 by Bournemouth Laura

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Tape to PC Super USB Cassette-to-MP3 Converter Capture Audio Music Player with Headphones (Electronics)
The item arrived well within the stated estimate (considering it was coming from the other side of the world). It was a simple plug in and go and my on-board software found the device immediately instead of me having to install the supplied software. I have at last been able to listen to my old tapes again and am in the process of converting them all to CD. I am extremely pleased with the product and the results.

1.0 out of 5 stars I just can't get it to work!, 1 Feb. 2013
I have found this product really frustrating! It arrived well within the promised time but the cable was faulty so to begin with it wouldn't work at all. With a new cable the tape played but when I tried to record all I got was the sounds in the room! Followed the instructions on the disc but at present it's beaten me. I plan to ask a friend to help me but I have to say I'm disappointed as I had really looked forward to getting my extensive collection of music onto my ipod. I admit to being a bit of a technophobe but reading reviews from others I thought I'd manage to do it myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing gadget, does exactly what it's supposed to, 20 Jan. 2013
P. Lindquist (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
UPDATE: March 2013.

Despite initial concerns about how long this machine would last, it has successfully copied 173 cassettes (60 and 90 minute durations) without a single problem. I'm revising the star rating from 4 to 5.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I have hundreds of tapes so I decided to get one of these gadgets.

Installation was very straightforward on both my computers - one runs Vista the other runs on Windows 7 64bit.

You can record a single side at a time or have the machine loop the tape continuously. I thought, great, I'll set it to loop the tape. Not a good idea, because you have to be able to catch and stop the recording before it begins playing side A for the second time. So whilst it is a little more hassle it makes life a lot easier afterwards if you just have it play a single side then stop, turn the tape over and play/record side B.

The only other problem I experienced was with the finished recording. Despite spending hours fiddling with preferences in my sound, recording, microphone, etc settings on both computers, there was a loud buzzing sound throughout the entire recording. The simplest way to resolve this is with the supplied software called Audacity. When you've finished the recording select "Noise Removal" from the Effects menu. Follow the dialog box instructions and, hey presto! a nice clean recording.

If you have never used Audacity to create MP3 files you will have to download some files. When you select "Export as MP3" from the file menu Audacity will give you a link to the download. Follow the link. (the files are free) as also is the excellent Audacity software itself.

The machine itself looks and feels a little tacky but at this price what can you expect. I've already transferred well over 50 cassettes to mp3, and I figure if I have to buy another 1 or 2 of these machines to complete all my tape transfers it's still worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 30 April 2013
Latenighter (South-East England) - See all my reviews
At first, my laptop couldn't register this player with or without the disk supplied. A couple of days later I thought I'd have another try, put the disk in and it loaded straight away. I didn't get the dialogue boxes described in the instructions though so haven't managed to load any of my tapes into my laptop. When I tried just using the player to listen to a tape using the earphones provided, the music sounded distorted, possibly slightly slow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tape converter, 18 Feb. 2013
When listening to tapes played via USB, the sound is regularly broken up; I believe that the recorded sound may be OK, but I was too annoyed to check extensively, but having broken sound while monitoring is a no-no.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 29 Mar. 2013
For some time my daughter has wanted her audio tapes to be transferred to MP3. I researched various means - other than using cables to reach from my CD/Cassette player into the computer. Most recently I considered the more direct means offered by the small cassette players to computer converters coming into the market. Here I found the reviews on Amazon very helpful. In the end I decided to try this one. After all, I considered if it wasn't very expensive and if it didn't work, not much would be lost.

I have to say I am delighted with it and although there is no getting around the time factor as it goes into the computer in real-time, it is pretty straightforward. Just a minor hiccup in that to export the finished recording as an MP3 with the music software 'Audacity', you have to find - lame_enc.dll.. However, I found that in a folder marked 'Lame for Audacity' in 'Programs'. It may be different for others, depending on whether you use WinXP or something else.

In addition to putting the contents of the tapes onto the computer and converting them to MP3, I've also discovered how Audacity can, if required, enhance or change the recording. I was rather dismayed at having to listen to what I consider monotonous 'trance' or 'techno' for 45 mins at a time, however, other than listening through the supplied earphones to know when to press 'record' and choosing not to listen whilst the music played, it is possible to actually see from the sound waves, how it is progressing, Should you decide to make a cup of tea and so end up missing the finish, you can highlight and delete the flat-line which shows when the recording has finished.

I don't know how long this little item will last, but so far I am very pleased with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incomprehensible!, 7 Mar. 2013
Being quite a tech-savvy person I wasn't put off by previous poor reviews. However, I thoroughly regret having bought this piece of equipment. The software is difficult to operate and 2 minutes into recording there is suddenly background noise that wasn't on the original. It's driving me insane! Don't buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Customer Service, 24 Jan. 2013
Excellent customer service. I purchased an item that I was unable to use purely because I'm not very good at using electrical equipment or following instructions. When I contacted the Seller 'Hossen' I was replied to immediately, the reply was polite and courteous and the offer they made me was agreeable. I would recommend them as a reputable company to do business with. Tape to PC Super USB Cassette-to-MP3 Converter Capture Audio Music Player with Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, it just works, 9 July 2014
W. Sheppard "will" (London) - See all my reviews
I plugged it into my laptop which is running Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) and it immediately appeared in the sound settings as an input device "USB PnP Audio Device Analogue Stereo".

The hardware volume control has a large range.

I can finally listen to my old box of cassette tapes.

3.0 out of 5 stars good equipment but complicated instructions, 27 Aug. 2013
The cassette is good quality but when recording a tape onto mp3 it treats the whole tape as one track. You can then edit by inserting breaks to separate the tracks but this does not look like a straightforward process. I failed so far but will get there in the end. The instructions are good but aimed at someone more computer literate than me.