5.0 out of 5 stars JESUS the meaning behind every Bible story.
This Children's Bible is an inspired work, from start to finish (although I'm a granddad, I loved it).
A clear understanding of both Old and New Testaments makes it child's play!

1) The illustrations by Jago are well adapted for young children; colourful, humorous, non-threatening, inviting.
2) David Suchet's voice on the 3CDs is perfect: the...
Published on 11 Jan 2011 by C HARLE

Published on 23 Dec 2007 by Mark Loughridge

5.0 out of 5 stars JESUS the meaning behind every Bible story., 11 Jan 2011
A clear understanding of both Old and New Testaments makes it child's play!

2) David Suchet's voice on the 3CDs is perfect: the intonation, the meaning given, all warms one's heart.
3) Sally Lloyd-Jones must be world-renowned for this work: it is a masterpiece. No matter what your beliefs, stop awhile and listen. Here is Good News.

The way Sally weaves Jesus into the Old Testament stories was the most inspiring element for me. Old became New, and suddenly made sense.
She also avoids genealogy lists, violence, and grown-up sins. This makes it more acceptable for younger readers.

I love the book. I love the 3 CD's. I highly recommend this work. Buy it as a present, for anyone: 3 year olds, grandfather, and everyone in-between. I'm going to send this De-Luxe version to my son who is 23. It is the best introduction to the Bible I've ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB! Highly recommended., 9 Nov 2010
Heidi Cochrane (UK) - See all my reviews
What a beautiful book! My son (just turned 4) absolutely loves it and I also love the way the stories are written and presented. We sometimes play the CD whilst playing with toys and at bed time, which settles him to sleep well. We have a few children's Bibles, but this one definitely is my favourite for a child aged 4+.

I have recommended this Bible to the toddler group I help run and we now give them out as gifts when the children turn 3 and leave for Nursery.

Can't recommend this highly enough. The price is great and box set is great quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite children's bible!, 10 April 2010
We LOVE this bible! We actually already had it when we saw the cds available and had to get the cds for all our car journeys and for around the house. We love it! Totally worth a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best child bible, 21 Feb 2011
This Bible is well written and illustrated. The way it points to Jesus throughout is wonderful. It has mad me think and my children love the stories.

Great buy and great service from amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Storybook Bible - a great choice!, 5 Feb 2011
Having been recommended to buy this by a friend, I can say that I am very happy I did! The stories are beautifully and clearly narrated with a strong Christ-centered application to each. The illustrations are lovely and some especially add to the story (e.g. the picture of the Tower of Babel being drawn from a birds-eye-view, showing how God was miles above even this big, huge tower!). It is not your typical children's Bible, either in the way it is written or in which stories are chosen, but I really enjoy reading it to my son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best children's bible I've ever seen, 13 Jun 2010
Andrea Mueller (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
I have the version that came with the book on CD which was really well done. My 5 year old loves it and will listen to it from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Storybook Bible, 7 Mar 2011
A wonderful book, with excellent pictures that children will love. The text is clear and the message is easy to understand. I enjoy reading this book to my child

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic early Bible, 23 Feb 2011
Janrach (Perth, Scotland) - See all my reviews
My 3 year old was given this for Xmas. I was keen to start reading it to her as although it is largely too advanced for her, the other children's bibles she had were too infantile.

My daughter enjoys this bible and looks forward to our reading it together at bedtime. (At last she is happy to leave the fairy stories to daytime reading and is always eager for this at night.) I love the way that Jesus is brought into the stories, particularly the Old Testament stories and as a Christian of many years the simplistic story telling regularly challenges me (as the adult) to remember some of the basics and to think about aspects of the Gospel and build up to it that I'd simply taken for granted and never considered in any depth.

I have read in some of the other reviews that there is some licence in the way the stories are told. I think that is inevitable - this Bible is aimed at children - but I do not think the licence is on serious doctrinal matters. It is simply in the method of portraying the story in a language which a young child will understand. For a young child to whom the adult Bible is simply not accessible I think the stories are pitched right.

With regard to the review saying that there is too much of a slant on the positive side of things and not on the negative side, ie we are all sinners, I have this to say. This book is aimed at children. My daughter is too young to comprehend what a fundamental effect sin has on our human lives. When she is old enough we will read my Bible together and we will discuss it. I think it is enough for now that she learns that in the very beginning man disobeyed God and lost his close relationship with Him and that everything has fallen apart since then but that God loved us so much, despite ourselves, that He sent "the Great Rescuer" to bring us back to Him, if we would just acknowledge and accept it.

I know the stories are pitched just right even for her and a relatively basic understanding. We always look to see what tomorrow's story will be. A couple of weeks ago Daniel was the story the following night. Being 3 she can't read, there are no lions in the first pages of the story and yet just from the picture of a man praying she guessed it was Daniel. We're only on our second read through of this Bible at the moment but she's clearly taking in more than I realised!

I hope that one day my daughter will want to read my Bible and come to know God with a more mature understanding. But in the meantime, I am so happy that there is a Bible for children with enough depth to stimulate interest and a desire to read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea - let down by the drawings and some inaccuracies, 23 Dec 2007
Mark Loughridge (Letterkenny, Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As I pastor I've just finished preaching an overview of the bible - I'm passionate about getting people to see the big picture. So I was really excited to see this for children. The idea is superb, the tying every story to Jesus is magnificent. Our 4 year old daughter has started seeing the connections already. And that excites me. I love how it fits every story in with the plot-line of the bible.

However I have a couple of caveats.

Since children get so much from imagery I was really disappointed with the artwork. The quality is great, but the content very poor, and underscores misconceptions of the bible, actually making the bible look less believable. Noah's ark is shown balancing precariously on the pinnacle of the mountain, as well as being that silly shape that it is often drawn - nothing like the proportions given in the bible. Jericho is a five house town - not much of a conquest there. Goliath is make to look like a gruesome ogre of fairytale proportions. The people of Israel coming to the Red Sea look like a small Sunday school outing rather than 1.5 million people making the exodus. I could go on. For me, the pictures undermine the very thing the words are seeking to do - they push the stories into the realm of fairy tales.

(A far better set of illustrations are by Gail Schoonmaker in the The Big Picture Story Bible written by David Helm.)

The other caveat is that sometimes Lloyd-Jones is a little loose to the story, making up things that aren't in the passage. For example - Jesus being bathed in a golden light at his baptism, there being three wise men, Jesus winking at the boy who brought the 5 loaves and saying "watch this" and others. It's little things like she says Jacob had to wait 7 years to marry Rachel instead of just a week, like God creating by saying "Hello Light", like using "Papa" for Father - a word which doesn't carry the same connotations as Abba. Like the feeding of the '5000 people', rather than 5000 men, plus a lot more women and children. Like Jesus playing games with children. Like Zacchaeus being so small that he had to take a flying leap to get up into his chair for breakfast.

In one sense they're small things, and it is in the style of other children's books. And therein lies the problem - the bible isn't another children's book. It's true in every detail - so when it comes to a Children's version of the Bible, it should be true in every detail. We owe that to our kids.

I'd prefer not to have to edit the story as I tell it. Growing up, we had the Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos read to us. Time and time again when we thought she was stretching the text, when we looked up our bibles we found she was exactly right. Since we read it so many times, a vast quantity of accurate bible knowledge was imbibed. That's what I look for in a children's bible.

Having said all that - the links to Jesus often make you stop and praise God for Jesus. We've read it following on from the aforementioned Big Picture Story Bible - which I would heartily recommend. And that's probably the best way - read it along with other children's bibles and correct it as you go.

Looking forward to the revised edition of this potentially tremendous asset.

EDIT - Just to be clear - BUY THIS, but note the caveats!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 20 July 2012
Me and my 11 week old love this book!! The story is so preciously interpreted and written and the pictures are so colourful and beautifully illustrated. We bought the CDs also and can't wait to start listening to them in the car. A must have for any parents wishing to introduce the bible to their children :-)