5.0 out of 5 stars An album which contains gems of O'Sullivan songs, 9 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Southpaw (Audio CD)
This is the 5th album O'Sullivan released in the 70s. His wells of inspiration didn't seem to dry up even after writing so many highly original and unforgettable songs. This album starts with the characteristic intro song followed by 'You got me going', and 'Tomorrow Today' immediately made an impression on me by the striking freshness of a new kind of lyricism, quite different from the songs in the previous albums. 'I remember once','That's where I belong', and 'My love and I' share the same nostalgic yearning. Another memorable song 'Miss my love today' with the hauntingly atmospheric electric piano accompaniment confirms that Gilbert O'Sullivan has pushed a boundary of his artistry further into a new realm.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Gilbert's best!, 12 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Southpaw (Audio CD)
Southpaw was released in 1977, with music in Britain undergoing some radical changes and Gilbert's popularity fading from the heights achieved in the early 70's. However, this album is packed full of fabulous melodies, great hooks, touching lyrics and infectuous musicianship and it is a mystery why it didn't yield several hit singles and put Mr O'Sullivan firmly back in the public eye.

Both sides (in the old days, kids, the music was divided between each side of the disc and you had to turn it over!) start with a short and catchy intro, as was Gilbert's habit, and the first track proper is one of Gilbert's hardest rockers, You Got Me Going. This is followed by a pair of excellent wistful songs, No Telling Why (unusually sung from the point of view of a man who has stolen another man's wife) and Tomorrow Today, returns to rock with The Best Fun I Ever Had, and ends with a strange but haunting "social commentary" song I Remember Once. Rock also kicks off side 2 with I Of Course Replied, and is followed by a pair of truly classic songs, up there with the best - That's Where I Belong and My Love And I (which delivers one of my favourite lyrics "Whatever happened to our world, where making love meant holding hands"). The set switches back to upbeat rock with If I Can't Have You All To Myself, and ends with the organ-driven song Miss My Love Today, which was chosen as the single.

If you only know Gilbert O'Sullivan from his numerous "Greatest Hits" packages you would be very pleasantly surprised if you listened to some of his albums, as there's a wealth of hidden classics. Just as the Beatles "1" can in no way tell the story of the greatest band in history, so "The Berry Vest" and its ilk cannot truly convey Gilbert's songcraft. He has continued to record and release some excellent music since his heyday in the 70's and retains a very loyal and devoted fanbase - you will understand why if you give this album a chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilbert does it again!, 2 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Southpaw (Audio CD)
What can you say about this man? Fantastic singer/songwriter still has what it takes to get you humming or singing along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Southpaw (DeLuxe) (MP3 Download)
Have most of his albums but somehow missed this one but its an absolute cracker If you like Gilbert don't miss this one !

(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: southpaw LP (Vinyl)

(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Southpaw (Japon) (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilbert Is Great, 7 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Southpaw (Audio CD)
Gilbert O Sullivan is one of my Heroes. He's a great Singer/Songwriter and this Album is full of good songs. All 12 tracks are good(Even the Intros!) and Southpaw shows him as a "Left Hand" Composer. It came in good condition and it was a good price!!If you love Gilbert youll lovethis, OK?

Southpaw
Southpaw by Gilbert O'Sullivan (Audio CD - 2012)