5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly good, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
Having discovered Anthony Phillips' music relatively late, I thought I would take the plunge with this latest album, which has proven to be excellent. If I had a criticism it is to echo the comments of one reviewer who felt that the individual pieces are too short. The effect of this is to provide relatively little space for the development of a given theme - but conversely, this is a two-CD work with a lot of shorter pieces, and I suspect that Ant achieves his development sequentially.

That aside, this is simply a beautiful work. Each short piece is perfectly crafted. The musicianship and scoring of the work is superlative. The sheer quality of execution takes this into a different league, compared to other moderns such as Karl Jenkins. It is the sign of a great work that you get to the end of the second CD and find yourself wanting more.

If you like your instrumental music gentle, thoughtful, melodic and uplifting, then go buy this CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 14 Jun 2012
Andy (UK Wickwar) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
This i believe is a beautiful album, very well performed and constructed. It is more of a classical piece of work than a rock one, however, there is some great acoustic guitars thrown in. My only chritisism is that some of the songs could have been expanded more as they could offer so much more. Hope it gets the positive attention it deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seventh heaven exists., 8 Sep 2012
M. Cantin "markan4" (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
This record might sound as a film score at the first listening. But it appears clear after the next listenings, that we are in presence of a " classic", and an inspired work as well, something that we dont sse often nowadays. Some records are evaluated positively with the time, even if the critics are bad following the release. Life is too short, don't wait after the time, enjoy seventh heaven right now! I'm particularty impressed with novelty in ancient music, Ant and Skeet are exploiting avenues in which Loreena McKennit would never think of exploring, and they are doing it with a great prodigy. I'm also ravished by a couple of tunes in the "Gershwin style" or the "Tarka" style. Ant is also revisiting one of his oldies from "back to the pavilion" " à la Segovia".
Great release.

Cet album résonne comme de la musique de film à la 1ère écoute. Mais il apparait clair après les écoutes subséquentes, que nous sommes en présence d'un "classique et d'une oeuvre inspirée, une chose que l'on n'entend pas souvent de nos jours. Certains albums sont ré-évalués positivement avec le temps, même si la critique est mauvaise juste après la sortie du Cd. N'attendez pas après le temps, la vie est trop courte, appréciez maintenant cette musique. Je suis particulièrement impressionné avec la nouveauté dans "L'ancienne musique". Anthony et Andrew Skeet, exploitent prodigieusement des avenues dans lesquelles même Loreena McKennit ne penserait pas à explorer. Je suis également ravi d'une couples de morceaux livrés à la sauce "Gerswinn" ( un style demeuré inexploré depuis l'ère Gershwinn), et aussi dans le style " Tarka". Anthony revisite également un de ses anciennes compositions en provenance de l'album "back to the pavilion", à la sauce " Ségovia".
Excellent produit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 13 May 2012
M. L. Maclean "Zimmerman" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
This wonderful CD has not left my CD player since I received it in the post last week. Having heard some of the tracks on Classic FM I couldn't wait to hear the whole work. It is a stunning collection of pieces beautifully rendered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music beyond belief, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
This beautiful work by Anthony Philips and Andrew Skeet appeared in my Amazon recomendations (thanks Amazon, Boy ! do you know what I like). I really don't have the intellect nor the time to write a review worthy of this stunning work. I was moved to ask (almost from the off) who are these people ? (even though I am well aware who "Ant" is, from my Genesis days). But I will say this - this album proves that real, genuine classical music with real Divinity in it doesn't have to come from dead Greats from the past. Just listen to the samples and I assure you - this really is AS GOOD AS IT SOUNDS. Buy it .. .. and tell 'em you heard it first from ME.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Album - One of his best, 25 Sep 2013
David Matthews (CHIPPENHAM, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
Unlike many of the other reviewers, I have been aware of Anthony Phillips for a number of years and believe him to be one of the best kept secrets in British Music. Seventh Heaven is a remarkable album fusing different styles of classical music from Opera to 12 string guitar. This is by far one of his best albums since The Geese & The Ghost.

Several reviewers have commented that the pieces are slightly too short but I would disagree as each piece when listened to as part of the album as a whole, rather than as individual pieces flows naturally from one to the next. From start to finish this just such a beautiful album.

Whilst this is not an album for the die hard prog rock fan (his music rarely is), it is an album of delightful and absorbing instrumental music. Don't be afraid, dip your toes in the water and be taken on a journey of discovery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
Having gotten into Ant's work rather late in life (I'm 38 years Genesis fan) I'm enjoying a lot of his work, although not all of it. I procrastinated for some time over this as I already had a number of his albums. The reviews were pretty good although they also were for Pathways and Promenades which I really don't like!
So I took a punt and was delighted by the whole double CD. Some of the tracks I recognised from Field Day but with different arrangements they were wonderful. Overall, I think this is a must for all Ant's fans. It's melodic, moving and very pleasant. I've given it 4 stars which would have been 4 1/2 if I could as I just think it lacks direction and as Field Day and Geese and the Ghost are worthy of 5 stars this can only have 4.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Eighth Heaven, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
I've never written a review before, but had to for this album.
I've been a long time fan of Anthony Phillips and this association with Andrew Skeet is terrific.
The pieces all sound as though written for television and indeed, I've heard bits on different programmes.
But don't let that put you off! They are lovely and some pieces simply want you to press the replay button.
But the album also works well as a whole and has seldom been off my cd or mp3 player since I got it.
Whilst coming round from anaesthetic after a recent op, guess what I listened to?
A double album for a great price and a genuinely good listen from trusted composers and musicians.
You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bridge between classical and easy listening, 14 Jan 2013
Keith Cummings (Leyton, London, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
Beautiful melodic/symphonic music. It washes over you and gives you a lovely calm feeling. I found it quite similar to Mike Oldfield's Music of the Spheres in it's emotional impact.

5.0 out of 5 stars seventh heaven, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Seventh Heaven (Audio CD)
A great double album at a sensible price. Perfect for listening at home or on the move. Anthony Phillips at his best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seventh Heaven