5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba 1TB external hard drive
Amazing product. Very easy to use. I have a Macbook pro and was worried that I would have to reconfigure it to use it. BUT plugged it straight in and started backing up with time machine. I use it once every week to back up files. So far all is working fine. Doesn't get to hot after being left plugged in for a few hours. Good product.
Published on 25 Oct. 2012 by Graphic Design Student Hannah

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent price for 1TB, but poor read/write speed.
Despite the USB3 connectivity, the drive barely exceeds USB2 speeds. The price is good for 1TB but I should have looked deeper for the actual specs.

Keep an eye out
Published 12 months ago by Kofi Anan-bread

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba 1TB external hard drive, 25 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Toshiba PX1804E-1J0K 1TB Stor.E Edition USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive with 1 Year Data Recovery Service - Black (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 May 2014
This is my second Toshiba drive. My first was getting a bit full so decided to go for the 1T drive. It is so easy, just plug in and away you go

5.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer speeds over both usb 2 and 3, cool, quiet but with an extra bright operation led, 30 Aug. 2014
I bought this to use as storage with my home entertainment pc. I have 2 ssd's running in the pc and wanted something that would work almost as fast as them. I read good reports about the Toshiba PX1804E-1J0K 1TB Stor.E Edition USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Harddrive and as Amazon had a special offer on these, it wasn't a hard decision to make.

So what is it like? Well the drive itself is cased in aluminium, great for heat dissipation, with a textured black plastic top and bottom. I'm not sure if they're stuck on over aluminium as well, but the drive runs super cool, even over a couple of hours continuous use. Small and unobtrusive, except for the large white led on the side which lights up steady when connected and flashes when reading/writing. Turn your lights off, close the curtains and blinds and you could read a book with it. I would seriously suggest putting it somewhere where its not going to be a distraction in a darkened room.

This thing is fast! The transfer speeds are nothing short of amazing. I transferred a 1gb .iso file from my Sandisk ssd in 13 seconds while the same image file extracted to files and folders took 22 seconds. On paper this is fast enough to stream 4k video with 7.1 digital surround sound so I'll be looking forward to testing this when I can persuade my fie that we need a 4k tv.

These transfer speeds are pretty special but I appreciate that most of the potential customer base for this drive will be using this on a usb 2.0 connection, at least until they upgrade to usb on their pc/laptop. But again, there are no real problems with this. The same .iso transferred in 28 seconds and files in 36 seconds. I think I could live with speeds like these if I had no access to a usb 3.0 port.

Toshiba offers a free 1 year data recovery service along with its standard warranty for this drive. Here's hoping I never need to use it. Given that a lot of external hard drives tend to fail in their first few months of use, this does offer a little piece of mind should your drive fail and you need your files recovered.

In conclusion, a very fast little drive marred only by the big blinding white light. If Toshiba were to change this to, say, a pinpoint blue or green super bright led (see the HTC One (M8) notification lights) and I would gladly buy at least another one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent price for 1TB, but poor read/write speed., 10 Jun. 2014

Keep an eye out

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Hard Drive!!!, 15 May 2014
This is best 1TB Portable Hard drive on the market. Cant believe Toshiba have included the Data Recovery software and still offering such a low price. My last hard Drive broke and to recover the data i was quoted £400 - couldnt believe how expensive it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!, 22 Sept. 2013
Love it!
Was a bit hesitant about the product as there was not much reviews online but no worries there.
Brilliant product! Easy to use and looks good as well.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars External hard drive, 20 Jun. 2014
Good value for money. Plug and play, take anywhere. Excellent for a back up storage or to take away when travelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive performance, 19 Sept. 2014
I needed another External HDD and this one caught my eye. I liked the fact that it came with a Years Free retrieval if the unit fails. I also have a Touro 1TB Drive and I was getting a bit fed up with the pedestrian performance of that drive on my Windows 7 Laptop. There is virtually no lag with the Toshiba Drive in Windows Explorer. The files and folders open up instantly unlike the Touro which would take a few seconds every time to kick into action. It's a very solid case as well - slightly bigger than the Touro but that is a plus in my view - the more solid the better. I would certainly buy another if and when I require more storage space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good deal, 27 July 2013
SnowDog (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Using this to back up my NAS, when doing upgrades and stuff on that (just in case...) and so far seems like good kit.
Solid build and comes with a bundled copy of Nero which is a nice bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, useful storage device. suitable for backups etc. cant be beat for quality, 17 Jan. 2015
This is a superb storage or back up device, it has a good quick transfer rate and also is compatible with USB 3.0. It seems fairly sturdy but i wouldnt like to drop it all the same. the case allows for it to keep cool and you should not have any problems with it over heating. i currently use it for backing up my computer and it comes with suitable software to allow me to do this weekly with simply setting a time and it does it automatically. it also looks very stylish and attractive, with a small light on the side which illuminates when it is active, this is quite bright but is not a issue since i can simply face it away from me.