5.0 out of 5 stars Sand and Snow
This was in good condition and an outstanding album.

Really enjoying it and so glad that I bought it and getting fun out of listening to a great band.
Published 16 months ago by M Eighteen

3.0 out of 5 stars Check you what you purchase carefully -
The Disk of music is brilliant - what you should expect from "A Silent Film". 5 Stars.

But - be aware - there is a deluxe version of this album which has 14 tracks on it; this disk only has 11.
Nowhere on on this advert did it identify the track list .
Now both albums are available via iTunes at £7.99 - however I'm old fashioned and like disks...
Published 9 months ago by Iain M

5.0 out of 5 stars Sand and Snow, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
This was in good condition and an outstanding album.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Underrated' - Definitely not an over-used word in the case of 'A Silent Film', 16 July 2013
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
Without over exaggeration or unnecessary flattery, this band is pretty much unheard of. If you're lucky, your friends might recognize one of the tracks from their debut album ('you will leave a mark' from The City That Sleeps) as it was featured in a popular sky advert years ago and got some radio play. However apart from that, unless you have some pretty awesome friends, this band is very much a hidden gem within the indie/alternative rock world.

Some evolution has definitely occurred within A Silent Film's style since their first album release in 2008. The consistent use of piano is still present but this time is accompanied by a lot more guitar and some great synth effects (synth was pretty much non-existent in the 1st album). I felt that the mix-match of these was done perfectly and they all compliment one another nicely.

I bought the album on the strength of its two singles, 'Danny, Dakota & The Wishing Well' and 'Harbour Lights' both of which are great tracks in their own right. The 1st is a fast-paced power house of synth-rock, with catchy lyrics in a story-type fashion and a huge chorus; this track should honestly make The Killers jealous. The Second is a much slower, laid back track, very romantic with one of the best love-related metaphors I've ever heard within a song. These two have remained my favourites after the many playthroughs of the album but honestly there isn't a single song that I would deem to be boring or not good.

Overall, 'Sand & Snow' despite going pretty much un-noticed upon its release, in my opinion was one of the best albums of 2012. If you want catchy, unique lyrics being delivered through beautiful crisp vocals, a nice selection of instruments, varied track styles and a feeling of increased appreciation every time it gets played, this is an album for you. If you put The Killers, Snow Patrol and Keane into a blender you're getting close to the sound you can expect.

Unfortunately (for the UK), despite being an English band, A Silent Film loved the US so much after touring there that they decided to make it their place of residence! Enjoy them while you can America, who knows how long they'll stay around for :P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of my Playlist, 7 Mar 2014
Carol M. Frost "CInderella" (Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
Great Alternative/Pop/Rock sound. Reminds of Snow Patrol, The Killers, DfC.
The lyrics are poetic and the singer's voice is very smooth.
I love that this band has genuine talent and doesn't rely on 'canned' gimmicks.
After seeing them in concert, I was impressed that the live sound very much matched their recordings.
I am anxiously awaiting the next recording from these guys, as well as another opportunity to see a great live show!

5.0 out of 5 stars A band that are going places..., 13 July 2012
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
A band that are going places... Their debut album sounded amazing with epic and sweeping soundscapes. This new opus is much more pop, but they do it so well. Bringing to mind the interesting lilt of Guillemotts mixed with the dark edge of Puressence, there are few bands doing indie rock better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album from a band that is still a hidden gem, 7 Mar 2014
Chris Marshall (Westerville, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
I only recently had the opportunity to hear A Silent Film live at the end of their last American tour and they are absolutely amazing. I find it astonishing that they haven't hit it big yet but am selfishly happy they haven't as it's still possible to see and hear them in small venues. This album is extraordinary, every song different yet memorable. It's the top of the playlist at our house and in the car. Can't wait for the next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid!, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
This cd is not even close to what some bands experience as being a "sophmore slump" - the music and lyrics are solid from start to finish. I bought this cd over a year ago, and have yet to go one day without listening to at least one track in one form or another. I came across this band simply by chance, and became an instant fan - none of their music has yet to disappoint me. I highly recommend this cd, and if not already owned, I highly recommend their first cd "The City that Sleeps" - just to prove my point that these boys can create a huge range of awesome music. I also recommend catching one of their shows - not only are these lads extremely talented musicians, they are also very friendly and will make sure to talk with you after their show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album - played daily, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
I first heard this band several years ago on Alt Nation and it was love at first listen. This album is great from start to finish. Their music helped me get through some tough times and maybe that is why my favorite song is Reaching the Potential but in all honesty it's really hard to chose a favorite song on Sand & Snow. There is nothing I don't love about these Lads - the sound, the lyrics, Robert's buttery smooth voice and AMAZING live band. Can't wait to hear new music by these talented musicians!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ear Candy!, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
I anxiously waited for the release of this CD after having "The City That Sleeps on repeat for many months. They did not disappoint! I have played it so many times now my entire family knows all the songs as well! I have seen this band live several times and I am very much looking forward to their next tour and release of their third album.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT ALBUM, 7 Mar 2014
Cindy Miller (Canton, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
Couldn't believe my luck when I discovered this band.. Sand & Snow is one of my favorite albums, definitely on my top five. It is absolutely perfect in every way... lyrics, vocals and instrumentally outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime!, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sand & Snow (Audio CD)
I had first seen A Silent Film back when they opened for Civil Twilight. From the moment they left the stage I knew they were going to be a new favorite of mine. Little did I know that 3 years later they would STILL be my favorite band! This album is so fantastic and varied. Groups that produce an album that sounds like it's on repeat bore me to tears and ASF is definitely NOT one of them! My favorite songs are Wrecking Ball, Anastasia and Thousand Mile Race.

Simply put: they are great - you won't regret getting this album. And if you get the chance, seeing them live will blow. your. mind.

Sand & Snow
Sand & Snow by Silent Film (Audio CD - 2012)