5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Prokofiev Symphony No 5 recordings
Marin Alsop conducts a very powerful and atmospheric performance of this large easily accessible symphony. The Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra easily copes with the demands of the music and Marin Alsops' view of it. A great disc.
Published 4 months ago by J. L. Vosser

2.0 out of 5 stars Cod-Shostakovich
I bought this on the strength of excellent reviews in the music press - I am not adding it to my Russian shelves to go alongside my Shostakoviches, Stravinskys and Myaskovskys
The Symphony just makes me want to dig out a Shostakovich - it is like something he may have written on a not very good day.
The Year 1941 leaves me cold - it reminds me of film music,...
Published 13 months ago by Philip Chadwick

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Prokofiev Symphony No 5 recordings, 27 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Prokofiev from Brazil, 13 Jun 2012
Steve (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5/ The Year 1941 (Naxos: 8.573029) (Audio CD)
This release crept out in the late Spring schedules; no great fanfares. Even the presentation doesn't exactly shout out to be noticed; you could easily overlook this CD whilst looking for a Prokofiev 5.

Don't. This is an outstanding new recording of Prokofiev's most popular symphony. From the very opening, this is clearly an orchestra of the first class. Not only is the playing very fine, it is totally committed. This is one of those rare releases where there is the electricity of a live performance, although it is in fact a studio recording, made in the excellent acoustics of the Sala Sao Paulo, Brazil. Marin Alsop has a fine track record of recordings for Naxos, with the R.S.N.O., Bournemouth and Baltimore Symphony Orchestras (although I do not entirely share the adulation given to the accounts of the last three Dvorak symphonies, which sound rather ordinary to me). Alsop has clearly thought out her approach to Prokofiev 5 and allows detail to emerge; an example is the plaintive woodwind figure in the second movement, taken slower than is usual. The final movement has an underlying drive, although it's not taken particularly quickly, and has an unusually fatalistic final blow.

Naxos has done it again; a brilliant combination of orchestra and conductor, recorded in excellent sound (every bit as good as the fine BIS recordings from this orchestra and hall), plenty of depth, space and range. Wonderful stuff. And the even better news is that this team is recording the whole Prokofiev symphonic cycle; we badly need a really fine recording of Prokofiev's greatest symphony, the Sixth; my favourite performance, Mravinsky and the Leningrad Phil., suffers from all sorts of recording problems.

So, don't hesitate.

No matter how many Prokofiev Fifths you have, you must hear this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prokofiev, 17 Nov 2013
Rene (Stevenage, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a recording conducted by Marin Alsop who I greatly admire. I wasn't disappointed. Marin Alsop is the principal conductor of the São Paulo Symphony Orchestra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 8 May 2013
i can't compare this recording with others as I've not heard any others. I bought this because I like Prokofiev and I heard a snatch of the symphony on the radio. My expectations have been well met.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cod-Shostakovich, 8 Mar 2013
Philip Chadwick - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Year 1941 leaves me cold - it reminds me of film music, something is missing
Straight down to the charity shop I'm afraid - didn't even rip it!

ARRAY(0xa6e1960c)

Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5/ The Year 1941 (Naxos: 8.573029)
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5/ The Year 1941 (Naxos: 8.573029) by São Paulo State Symphony (OSESP) (Audio CD - 2012)