Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 19 August 2012
I'd thoroughly recommend this film. Clever, witty, and genuinely suspenseful, with sold characters and a plot that, well, stretches credibility a bit but gets away with it. My only complaint was that I wished I'd watched the original with subtitles as the overdubbed English version I sat through seemed a bit clumsy. If you like intelligent thrillers with intelligent actors putting a plot through its paces then this is for you. It's not Wallender po faced suicidal Scandinavian crime, and I was laughing out loud at some of the outlandish scenes, but I never felt it was totally taking the p. In a way, the humour reminded me a bit of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, this being a Norwegian version. For me, this is up there with the French version of Tell No One Tell No-One (Ne Le Dis A Personne) [DVD] which, if you haven't seen it, you damn well should. Get this now before the Hollywood version comes out which will, no doubt, fall short of this production.
on 21 August 2012
A cracking piece of film from the Norwegians and almost exactly what I had in my head when I read the book. There are a few minor deviations from the book, most of which are shrewd editorial choices. However, the last twist in the book is changed in a way that doesn't satisfy as much as the original. Also, little nuggets of information that explain why certain things happen are omitted. That said, I imagine most of these omissions would be invisible to someone who had not read the book.

The story is absolutely cracking and full of twists and intriguing characters and bizarre survival scenes. The story involves high tech industrial espionage / ultra hostile takeover, ex special forces Dutch, art theft, love triangles, alternative plumbing, novel dog obedience classes and, oh yeah, some Human Resource headhunting.

One particularly gory scene in the book was thankfully sanitised for the film in a sensible way.

The cinematography is really atmospheric and I think (for what it's worth) that the original Norwegian is better if you don't mind subtitles as the American dubbed version is quite cheesy in places - a bit 'Enter-the-Dragonesque' or droopy moustached, "I've come to clean your pool" type stuff.

I wish I'd seen this at the cinema now. Here's hoping they'll start making the Harry Hole stories into films too!
on 29 June 2012
Well Well Well...I went to see this movie cold at cinema a few Months back & was pleasantly surprised by the plot/character development & twists it contained...A great Thriller starring an Art thief who bites off more than her can chew....as a result he's forced to take extreme measures to ensure his own survival at the hands of an ex-army-special forces fella...I shook my head in disbelief at the twists & turns the movie took as the Hunter became the hunted...One of the best Euro Thrillers i've ever seen & is a must watch movie..I'll be getting my dvd copy when it's released in August ;))
on 29 August 2012
Were do i start with headhunters,id never heard of the film or the writer of the film before, i only bought on the very positive reviews i had read.
i love foreign films(generelly horror though), so subtitles i dont mind at all.
i absolutly loved every minute of this film from start to finish,when it actually finished i wanted more!!!
the acting, the characters especially the lead were top draw,the story twisting and turning in all directions was breathtaking.
foreign movie making at its finest, i would go as far as saying this is in my top 5 films of all time,the only non horror lol
go buy this film and enjoy every second of it,,you wont regret it,even if you dont watch foreign films give it a go!
5/5 a must own and watch!
It is unusual for me to give a film five stars, but this film 'Headhunters' deserves it. It had me on the edge of my seat for much of the film. Warning, what you see is not what you get.

Roger Brown, a handsome professional man who looks for the right person for the right job. He is clever, smart and short. It seems his 5ft 6 in stature is his emotional bugaboo. He has a statuesque blonde wife, high life that requires lots of money, and at the edge he is afraid he will lose it all. Into his life comes Clas Greve, a man who is certainly not what he seems. This Norwegian thriller gives all of us a lot of information in-between the thrills and action, but not enough so that we really know what is happening. Just when I thought I had it figured out,wham, another slider.

The chase scenes between Clas and Brown all through Norway, leaves us breathless. For Jo Nesbo fans, this is one for the books, literally. The humdrum scenes we are used to are nothing compared to this Norwegian film. The storyline, the characters are so well drawn, that the director, Morton Tyldum, did not have to look for cheap tricks. The film has it all, and in the end we are rooting for Roger Brown.

Recommended. prisrob 04-15-13
on 4 July 2012
One of the other reviewers described Headhunters as implausible but excellent and that sums up my opinion as well.

The story is about a corporate recruitment "headhunter" who has a sideline as an art thief to finance the expensive lifestyle he has with his gorgeous wife. He is deeply insecure about his wife's affections for him, convinced that she is only with him for the lifestyle he provides.

He hears of a piece of art that, if he can steal and sell, will mean he will never have to worry about money again. However, as soon as he starts to put this plan into effect things start to go wrong in a big way, and he ends up fighting for his life. This results in some great scenes and a few gruesome ones also. There is also plenty of black humour.

There are plenty of twists and turns in the plot, some quite implausible but the fast moving pace means you don't get much time to think about them. The ending is tied up a bit too neatly for my liking also.

Still, "Headhunters" is a very enjoyable thriller.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 January 2013
Overall this is an enjoyable little film. It suffers from not making it clear that the central character of the burglar is quick thinking and imaginative. The chase scenes are fairly exciting but at some point it becomes unbelievable. It is heartless assassin stuff.

Where the King of this genre is The Day Of The Jackal [DVD] [2003], as well as the connection with real life events in France at that time, that film is also beautifully paced. Plenty of room for the viewer to get to know the assassin. Can we really condemn this professional man for his killings? He only kills when he is threatened, after all. The rich woman in bed is a masterpiece of duelling sympathies. A film I watch many times.

The Headhunters is nowhere near this level. The film propels itself from one chase scene to another. They are often ingenious action sequences but ultimately the film is perilously close to comic book with some unbelievable twists. A one shot film.
on 25 September 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed the novel, Head Hunters by Jo Nesbo. I was curious as to how the book would be translated into film as much of the discovery was in the main character's head. The director did what I consider to be a great job in relating the discovery process to the audience.

Even though this was at odds to how the novel unfolded, I really can't see how one crucial scene (not included) could have been done anyway. I will not spoil anything for future viewers. I think it was an extremely well done version of the novel and wish American directors took as much care to preserve the writer's integrity. Great job and kudos to this film crew.

I also deeply appreciate the English soundtrack. I know purists think it's better to read subtitles but really, I read the book. I don't want to read the movie. I wish all European and Scandinavian videos were dubbed. There is so much more I would be able to enjoy.
VINE VOICEon 25 May 2012
I am writing a review about a product that is yet to be released on DVD, after recently seeing said film.

Through the opening credits, Roger Brown, our hero or antihero depending on your viewpoint, does a voiceover that explains the five rules of art theft. He then proceeds with a poised wit to demonstrate his manipulative gifts by bending a client to his will while extracting the information he needs to steal a valuable lithograph of Edvard Munch's The Brooch.

Roger Brown seems to have everything, a trophy wife he fears losing and a girlfriend that is only on the scene for his apparent pleasure. Roger has a fancy home with all the mod cons and likes the finer things in life, along with this his wife who is very high maintenance and hence he lives way beyond his means. His job as a leading Headhunter, for recruitment agency hardly pays the bills, however, it does enable him to pick out `marks' and then rob them of valuable art work - the main source of his income!

Roger is not particularly likable and his vicious world of international commerce is unattractive. However, a malevolent fate comes up the Kattegat in the form of Clas Greve (leading Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) to pursue the complacent, antihero.
Greve is a handsome, wealthy, charismatic son of a Dutch father and a Norwegian mother, apparently between jobs, having recently worked for a major military contractor. Roger seeks him out for Pathfinder, a conglomerate run from Oslo, and sees him as a target for theft as he secretly owns a valuable Rubens that apparently came into the family's hands by way of Nazi confiscation during the Second World War.

What follows is `tour de force' of violence and dark humour. Where would be predator becomes prey, and nothing can be taken at face value. Add some James Bond like hair gel that can be tracked by GPS and you're onto a roller coaster ride!

A funny if not slightly unbelievable film, a film that has given me a whole new respect for the `out house'. Well worth seeing.
on 16 August 2012
I found this film excellent,a little slow to begin with then things start to happen, but the best thing about this low budget movie is although its basic language is Norwegian with English subtitles it has a secondary option of English language audio & for a person like myself who is a bit slow on reading the subtitles it makes it eminently watchable.