5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait ????
I got one of these because I had a Virgin Media (not so) Super Hub. I also had another router servicing the lounge area of the house and a repeater from that in the kitchen to reach the back of the house and my bedroom above. It's a large house and this was the only way to get wireless service all around the house. So I switched the super hub into modem mode, disconnected...
Published 14 months ago by spindr64

3.0 out of 5 stars Replaced Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) With This Asus RT-N66U
Hi

As the title says, I moved from a Netgear WNDR4500 to this router. There was nothing wrong with the Netgear, and my only reason for moving was to get the VPN server functionality offered by the Asus. I owned the Netgear for about a year before I changed.

The VPN server (PTPP with MPPE encryption only) works very well. I access it from a couple of...
Published 13 months ago by Mr. N. Webber

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty unit and awful support!, 3 Dec 2013
D. Raybould "daveraybould" (Cheltenham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Accessory)
Before someone accuses me of being a rep for Draytek, let me explain. I wanted to setup a fast(er) wireless network for my children to stream videos, play games etc. I didn't really want to run CAT5 or CAT6 cables and this seemed to be the perfect router. I could not see the point of an AC protocol unit as nothing in my home is on AC, 90% is n protocol.

The unit was smaller than I expected as were the antennae but that was a good thing. I connected it all and the logged into the setup screen...well I tried and I sat there for ages trying to load the GUI. I stopped the browser and it loaded some of the screen. I reset the router and waited for it to reboot. I tried the GUI - nothing again. I tried another browser...nothing, another browser....nothing! I finally managed to get a setup screen but it insisted on an admin password and then the wireless setup. I tried to just go manual but it insisted on the admin. Okay I thought let's do as it suggests. It took me about 7 attempts to complete what should be a simple process. It just kept hanging and driving me mad. Well about 1 hour later I finally managed to get to the home screen. It then insisted on security for the wireless and an hour later I completed that. Well I thought I had but it just rebooted and suddenly it was all back at default!! I finally managed to get into the wireless security again but it did not remember any of my settings. All I wanted was to update the firmware as I knew support (if you can ever reach them) would suggest that step first. Finally I did manage to update the firmware but....no change! It would take an eternity to load the GUI and clearly there was a fault somewhere.

When I did get it working the speeds were amazing but after 10 minutes it would drop the connection. I would lose both wired and wireless so it seemed to lose the connection to my cable router. I would reboot (nothing else worked) and then it would work again. Sadly 10 minutes later it dropped the connection.

Asus support is simply awful and I am a big user of Asus motherboards with probably 20 or so over the years. Their motherboards are far more reliable thankfully whereas the router is poor. Admittedly it appears I have a faulty unit but having read some of the less favourable reviews it seems I am not alone.

I am going to add another Draytek, this time the 2920n. It is not as fast as the Asus but it is far more reliable and I need the peace of mind.

I will not be returning to Asus routers until they sort a lot of these issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Performant as Other Reviews Suggest, 17 Mar 2013
Easy set up, good interface, looks good - I use it as my primary router now, with the O2 router now only acting as a bridge to the internet. The 2 main issues I have with this are;
1) The wireless signal does not seem great. I've tried it in various positions throughout the house - I would have hoped better for the 3 antennae. It doesn't seem any better than the cheap O2 thomson v5 router.
2) The download master fails to live up to its promise - it invariably fails to successfully download many NZBs. I've had to resort again to my SABnzdb+ on my Mac. This completely defeats the purpose of having the downloading as close to the router as possible and the hope of having a central, router attached, disk, serving the whole house, looks far away. I may have to shell out on that NAS after all. This alone is almost enough reason to return it. I'll struggle with it for a bit before deciding..........
Also note it's missing a couple of features that would be really handy;
- that it does not have a DSL modem built in, so if you're with BT, O2 etc., you'll have to interface externally using an additional modem.
- the router doesn't support Mac/HFS formatted disks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus Dual band wireless RT N66U, 13 Mar 2013
Mr. R. Nicol - See all my reviews
Please do not make the same mistake as me - I returned this item as it does not have a built in modem,. It can only be used with a separate stand alone modem which means you'll need 2 x power supplies etc Make sure when you are shoppping, that your purchased unit states that it has a modem if you need broadband.
This unit is designed for sharing files e,g between 2 x PCs on your own home network at high speeds, but if you have a modem, you can also hook this in.
The description says that the unit is wall mountable. This can be done, but there is no kit supplied to do this. Admittedly, a couple of large flat head screws would do the job - there are a couple of upside down T shaped slots on the back of the unit which are for the supplied desk stand, but these would suffice to mount the unit discreetly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router, 28 April 2013
Mr. L. Croucher (Solihull, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got the router recently to replace my Linksys EA4500, as like many people I read all the "this router is wicked" reviews.

My take on all the wicked reviews is that none of them have a problem with the router, as when you get issues with the router you need to be prepared to get nowhere, at all, as all the online support routes completely miss out networking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product, unreliable in every way, 13 Jan 2013
I purchased this product because of the fantastic reviews on Amazon and other websites, however after having used the product first hand I now realise what a big mistake this was. The negative reviews on Amazon are actually very accurate on this product. I have spent over 3 hours on two days trying to get this product to work all without no luck.

Initial set-up and connectivity of the product is so simple it seems its going to fit in perfectly, however, you soon find making the odd changes here and there such as adding port ranges breaks the device. Once I added the port ranges it stopped sending any data so it was impossible to surf the internet, after closer examination of the routing tables all seems fine and correct but the product still fails to deliver. I was forced to reset the device on numerous occasions to factory defaults and retry the set-up process ensuring I watched every step to try and determine the cause which breaks the device and its impossible as the unit just stops when it feels like it, there is no single change which causes it to break.

I also updated the product to the latest firmware hoping this may resolve any of the performance and reliability issues and this was no help either. One minute the product works great and provides wonderful fast browsing speeds and within minutes everything will stop or it may even get you thinking its working fine but when you issue a router reboot just to be certain you find it actually doesn't work and you are back to step one.

I would strongly recommend once the product is working and set-up you reboot it at least 3 times to ensure it still functions without a problem otherwise you could find a week down the line when you reboot it or a power cut occurs you will have no functioning broadband and will be required to reset the device to factory defaults and start over.

The product does offer amazing browsing speeds, the responses when it is working are worth the money but the biggest issue is down to reliability, the product is so flaky you would always be worried about it breaking when you don't want it too and then spending hours trying to get it to work again. I was not even able to test the VPN connectivity on the device as it kept dropping the broadband yet clearly showing in the interface all is connected and working.

I feel this product could truly be fantastic but needs a lot more work to ensure its reliable. For now I guess I have to stick to my Draytek 2820 which is business class and very reliable, though performance is not always the best at least it is reliable and when it crashes a reboot ensures you are actually back on-line unlike this Asus RT-N66U.

So my final word of advice stay clear of this product if you are looking for something with performance that is reliable, however if you are happy to allocate a good amount of time problem solving issues when you least expect to, then you should be fine with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars No PPPoA support, 23 Dec 2012
BLC (York, UK) - See all my reviews
Trying to use this with a tplink 8817 modem and it just doesn't pick up the adsl connection, reason being my ISP, ADSL24 requires PPPoA which this router does not support. Either my ISP is quite unique in requiring PPPoA or this router has a serious ommission. My netgear DG834 which is 8 years old has it, my TPlink modem has it so why hasn't a 100+ top of the range router not got it?

Annoying to say the least, its getting sent back, and I can only give it one star. The search begins again. Anyone know and 900 routers that support PPPoA?

3.0 out of 5 stars No ADSL !, 16 Nov 2013
Amongst all the description details I failed to notice that it is not a ADSLmodem. At this price in 2013 surely all routers should have ADSL built in. Who wants to duplicate devices ?

2.0 out of 5 stars Under performed, 3 Nov 2012
Sending this back due to problems.
On the plus side it was so easy to set up although being a techie this wouldn't have been an issue anyway.

Got this to replace my virgin supplied router Netgear WNR2000 as this has Gigabit ports.
Wifi was actually no better than the netgear, poor reception in the kitchen and upstairs bedroom.
Has some very nice features too but to be honest I got no better performance speed wise.
I do have a gigabit switch though.

The Problem I had was when I attached anything to the USB ports.
Tried flash drives portable hard drives etc and every time i did this the router would cut off the wifi signal and sometimes the lan signal. Once removed all was working again.
I tried different file formats fat32 ntfs etc but still had issues.

Not sure whether it was just a faulty router but seeing the minimal if any performance improvements I will look for another product.

3.0 out of 5 stars ASUS RT - N66U- 900 Mbps Dual Band Wieless N Router., 13 Jun 2013
I bought this product on the back of good reviews. It was easy to install and looks good. However I am disappointed at the range generated, although an improvement on my previous configuration I usually get on 3 bars out of 5 in the house. The device also gets warm which is slightly off putting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good router / features but not cannot handle the speed of my broadband connection, 18 Feb 2013
It's a good router, great wireless coverage and performance but if you are signed up to BT's fiber to the home broadband then you will not be able to get the most out of the broadband. For example, I have a 330 Mbit/s broadband package and this router maxes out at 210Mbit/s. Hopefully this is something that can be resolved by a simple firmware update. To summaries, If you want internet speeds quicker that 210Mbit/s (which will be very common in the comming year or so), then avoid this router.

ARRAY(0xa2cdc168)