4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome router - Works with BT Infinity well (manual setup required).
I'd consider myself a computer expert, and I love this router. It looks awesome, it has an awesome name (Dark Knight), it is rock sold, provides extremely reliable wireless connectivity (only one dropped ping to Google in 2 days), and a shed load of advanced options out of the box for even the most demanding users. You can also install custom firmware (e.g. Merlin's) and...
Published 21 months ago by PaleBlueDot

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Firmware Updates if You Desire a Strong Signal!
The other reviews will cover the majority of the information you need, but an important thing to note - since the end of last year Asus have changed their radio drivers for ones that are nowhere near as powerful as the old stock firmware. Sadly you need to upgrade to the newer firmware in order to apply the security updates that are needed, so you're stuck with a router...
Published 2 months ago by Mr. James Connors

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 440 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with BT infinity and much better range and stability than the HomeHub4, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Personal Computers)
My house has solid brick walls throughout and very thick solid wood floors. Previously with the BT HH4 my wireless printers would take ages to print or refuse to work, streaming HD media on the TVs would judder and my iPhone would regularly lose connection in the bedrooms and garden.

With the Asus Router there are no such problems, my iPhone is getting 2 bars where the HH4 was out of range and speeds of between 30 and 60Mbps depending on my location in the house/ garden despite the area being flooded with wireless signals from neighbouring properties. The HH4 never gave speeds of more than 35Mbps even at close range.

Another reviewer said the Quick start wizard didn't work with BT infinity but I had no problems.
Just followed the instructions as follows:
1. Plug the Assus router into the mains and turn on
2. Use the bundled Network cable to connect your computer to a LAN port on the router
3. When the LAN LED starts to blink use the network cable that came with your BT modem to connect it to the WAN port on the Asus router.
4. Open your web browser and follow the instructions

The quickstart wizard then asked me to enter the Routers 6 digit pin from its label, it then automatically detected my BT infinity and asked for a username and password.

As with any Non BT router the BT Infinity username you need to enter is bthomehub@btbroadband.com
A password is not needed for BT infinity but the Assus router does not support blank passwords so you can type anything into the password field e.g. "password", "Blank" or just a single letter.

When changing settings such as admin password and wireless key which most people will want to do, I found this router to have one of the best laid out interfaces I have seen by far. Everything is easy to find and straightforward.

When on its stand It is a fair bit taller than the BT HH4 especially with the 20cm antennas but I put this down to it being designed to work well rather than designed to fit through a letterbox.

The USB2 ports are ok for connecting a hard drive to but the transfer speed is a bit slow when you are used to USB3 however Asus make an app called AiCloud for iPhone and Android which lets you access the hard drive via a built in VPN from anywhere which is a useful feature to me.

No dropouts or lost connections after 3 weeks use so I would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best £100 I've spent in a while, 24 May 2013
Overall a great product.

Was previously using a Virgin Media Superhub to serve a three-bedroom semi-detached home, range was flaky (outdoors especially).

Bought this baby and it exceeded by expectations, range is excellent everywhere, I can surf right at the end of my garden with this one. I think the three antennas really help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router, 12 Mar 2013
When you get to know its quirks and flash it with a better firmware then it works great. Set up is easy. The setup wizard is there as soon as you launch a browser page. Streaming movies via the media hub works great. Only dropouts with large wireless Blueray .mkv streams to the Samsung TV was when copying files via to the same source external USB HDD at the same time as steaming the files. It's a limitation of the routers USB 2 bus and external HDD.

Both wireless and wired work flawlessly. No dropouts or connection issues. Wireless range and speeds on both frequencies are excellent.

It has loads of other features so just but it.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last full speed ahead, 1 Jan 2013
Got this to replace my BT Home Hub 3

And I can't tell you how glad I am that I did. Easy set up, dual band allows all my machines to connect (I have a dual band adapter for my machine) so run that over the 5khz.

Also it allows you set up guest accounts so friends can use the internet without having access to my intranet or having to give out my passwords etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, does what it says, 29 Dec 2012
I love this product, despite not actually reading what it was properly. I was after a new router to replace my netgear as it kept dropping out. Found this and thoroughly researched it (or so I thought). I must have missed the bit where it is not a modem/router. However, I kept the Netgear to use as the modem and connected this product to it for the broadband side, then connected all my peripherals to the Asus router (I use the router for Sky, PS3 and my Home Server and a Netgear switch for everything else to connect through).

It has given me greater control over the firewall, better mapping for connected items and much much better wifi signal.

My only gripe is that when you set items to a static IP address, it shows the MAC address for the name of the peripheral and not it's assigned name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Device, 28 Dec 2012
Tony Reeves (North Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Highly recommended. Best features for me are the built-in download features - no need to leave a computer turned on overnight for long downloads; the media/USB drive sharing - downloaded files are playable over your network/centralise media server/backup facility; the guest wifi mode - share your wifi and internet without exposing your network to others; the bandwidth shaping, allowing traffic management ensuring your network works optimally, although this is a little complex to set up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bee's knees, 21 Dec 2012
This router is absolutely stellar. I researched greatly before making this purchase, and found myself torn about how to proceed. There are certainly routers available in the £40-ish range, which would have been adequate. That is to say, they would have gotten the packets from point A to point B without much fuss. Being in IT however, I wanted more than a simple device; it needed to be both fun AND functional - something to play with on a rainy day. Also the gap in functionality between devices in the aforementioned price range and this one is significant.

The power contained in this package is considerable. Where to begin? Ample throughput for even a large family, a brilliant user interface with the option of upgradeable firmware, USB ports that can allow simple sharing of external disks or failover to a wireless dongle, exceptional range and connection stability, stylish and chic design. Absolutely faultless performance so far, even with a menagerie of wired and wireless devices in my house operating 24/7.

Top marks all around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 4 Dec 2012
Works fine with all my equipment. Like the fact that it is easy (although not 100% intuitive) to set up multiple wireless networks with different access. Would have been great if it would have been possible to limit the bandwidth for each network, although that is not really a problem for me. Apart from the not intuitive setup of more than one network for each of the two frequency bands, it was very easy and straight forward to install and configure.

The equipment is placed in the basement connected to a 100 mbit internet access and I have no problem with using the full bandwidth via the wireless router from my living room, but the distance between the router and the room is not too far. Two floors above, the signal drops a little, but still with at least 100 mbit capacity.

Furthermore, it's a good looking piece of hardware. Over all, I am very pleased with the router and would recommend it to anyone that similarly to me is looking for a router that provides very good wireless bandwidth and a simple configuration interface.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you use this on BT infinity fibre remember the password, 3 Dec 2012
Just got this and thought long and hard about ordering it. I read all the reviews and checked every way I could that it could be used plugged into the openreach infinity modem. It arrived in good time and I spent hours trying to get it to work and it just kept timing out looking for the configuration from BT broadband. I looked everywhere even contacted ASUS and got nowhere. I eventually found an obscure forum note saying that the username should be bthomehub@btbroadband and the password can be anything but not blank, I just put in password. Fired it up again and it connected and worked in seconds. The wireless works really very well even across the road outside the house. There is a much faster throughput on the network, my home network is much faster and the internet has risen from 58mbs to 65mbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus RT66, 20 Nov 2012
Finally got the features I wanted after ditching my Sky router in favour of this! VPN with dns at last! Great product. Does what it says on the box.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 440 | Next ›