4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome router - Works with BT Infinity well (manual setup required).
I'd consider myself a computer expert, and I love this router. It looks awesome, it has an awesome name (Dark Knight), it is rock sold, provides extremely reliable wireless connectivity (only one dropped ping to Google in 2 days), and a shed load of advanced options out of the box for even the most demanding users. You can also install custom firmware (e.g. Merlin's) and...
Published on 28 Jan. 2013 by PaleBlueDot

1.0 out of 5 stars After 4 months it has failed
This was my first review

"After months of dropouts and general aggro with our 4 year old Netgear MiMo, we decided to go for a new router to see if it fixed our problem. I did some research about the AC wifi and settled on the Asus RT-AC66u.
We have two PC's and a printer connected via cable, a net book, two tablets, two phones and a smart TV on wifi. This...
Published 6 months ago by Mr. C. F. Floyd

‹ Previous | 127 28 2957 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast and reliable, 19 Sept. 2013
Make sure you have the latest firmware and you will be laughing, this allows specific parental control, vast coverage and reliable connections. GUI is very easy to use and very informative

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain awesome - Merlin firmware transforms the device, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Personal Computers)
Used this for Sky Fiber and now with Virgin Fiber. Excellent N-WiFi speeds for internal copying and 1Gbps internal wired connections. Merlin firmware is a boon and works brilliantly.

On my MacBook Pro 17" late 20122 I get around 250Mbps+ bandwidth when copying files around. Wired I get around 820Mbps (Mac to Mac). It has the simple click firewall software built-in, handles MER for Sky authentication and also set MAC address for WAN port / clone MAC. The remote access features are pretty good. Gaming wise, just found the ports for the games and it was easy to setup the port forwarding. NAS remote access was straight forward. Overall extremely happy with this device. QoS and other features seem to work well for the most part. Box wise, must admit, it does look pretty cool but more importantly it has solid reliability and performance all around. Once I set the box I dont need to touch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit, 17 Sept. 2013
C. J. Elliott (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
Very easy auto configuration, reliable, excellent wi-fi range, doesn't get too hot. I thought that it was going to be blisteringly fast, but I can't really detect any great speed change, but that might be because of what I'm doing with it, my Lan speed or my configuration

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Knight Ri$e$!, 10 Sept. 2013
Wow what can I say that has not already been said about this amazing piece of kit Well I will start with this - for years I have been using Asus products, mainly IT Components such as Motherboards, Graphics Card, etc. But never even considered to use their Network devices, apart from the odd good and extreme looking Router which took my fancy and until recently I used Cisco/LinkSys for my Networking needs - I just switched to Fibre optic so need a Router that would cope with all my needs (ADSL2+ just could not cut it any-more) - for example we have 4 Children and a total of 6 people in the house, 2 of us are Adult, 2 are teenagers with smartphones, Laptops and Tablets. I also have 2 smaller children who use Laptops, Desktops and gaming devices (we have 3 Desktops, 3 Laptops, at least 2 Tablets and around 3 Servers (2 NAS Servers) in the house hold but I do work from home (with my own workshop) so that is the main reason and I run a very busy IT Consulting Company - I also build, repair PC's so I needed a Router that would work in conjunction with all this and my already needy Workshop/Business needs.

Since purchasing and switching on 3rd July 2013 I have had not one problem, no resets to do, no Wi-Fi Drop outs no Wired Lag or anything to tell you about here that would say anything bad about this device. I have actually added all my other Network Devices pretty much in less than an hour and it was all first set-up with every device connected and running smoothly, if a little faster than expected!

I can say from experience (and from my IT Engineering Background) too that I wholeheartedly recommend this device, it has a simple GUI to use and set-up via Desktop, Laptop, Tablet or Smartphone. Without going into too much complicated network details VPN and Port-through services are also very easy to set-up and use. I do a little gaming, but my kids mostly (Ahem) and they have reported no problems, we have had LAN Parties, HD Video streaming is great and our Satelitte box is connected with all the features of Catch Up TV Connected too. Tested this to the full, so all I can summarise to say is go and purchase now - you will not regret it one bit!

5 Stars and a thorough recommendation from me - endorsed by an experienced IT Engineer with 10 years of experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great range, 8 Sept. 2013
A powerful piece of kit.
Connected it to my free Plusnet router with the cable provided and I can now connect to the internet all over the house. Router is in the office in the loft and I still get full power in the basement four floors beneath.
I've also connected my Sonos speakers without any hassle.
LIke it.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 31 Aug. 2013
I have a old netgear router/modem, which I use in conjunction with the asus router, as the asus is a router only and not a modem router, watch out if you require a modem./router. I am very pleased with the asus router, which definitely has a stronger wireless range than the netgear, would recommend asus router

4.0 out of 5 stars New home router, 22 Aug. 2013
This is my new router for my apartment. I was expecting a way better improvement in coverage compared to my old TPLINK but.. it is better but not by far. However i still have not used any of the special settings in the firmware and maybe if i change them it will be better.

Overall good product maybe a little overpriced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Aug. 2013
Mr. J. P. Grove "jamesgrove" (Halesowen, UK) - See all my reviews
I have owned several routers from home products to business class routers. Recently a Netgear R6300. After months of frustration and a complete lack of support from Netgear I sold it and downgraded to a Asus RT-N66U and I am so glad I did, it's wall mountable or can sit or stand on your desktop, it's a compact package and very well designed. More importantly the firmware is well supported by Asus and a host of others on the Internet, a large family of users means there's no lack of support, the manual is very poor so expect to ask questions on the smallnetworkbuilder website for help. I picked one up just under 100 pounds while on offer, this is a great package and easy to setup, the dual 2.4 and 5ghz bands work very well but may need the settings tweaking to gain the maximum speed from the wireless network, the gigabit ports make a large wired family network run at full speed with no bottle necks even with large scale access. Forget the draft AC1700 for the time being its too unreliable buy one of these you do get an awful lot for your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars very impressive kit, 15 Aug. 2013
I live in a 1890's mid terrace, lots of brick walls and 2 chimney systems, internet arrives in the front of the house...tv, blu-ray and PS3 are in the back. I also occasionally work from home and connected to my work's desktop. To date access to internet was been patchy.

Have one configured as a router connected to BT Infinity, seeing excellent range and speed...have a second configured as media bridge. Based on previous reviews was concerned that config would be complex...but was plug and play.

Next job is to configure the USB storage

Disappointed with the functionality of the media bridge, no USB functionality, no guest accounts, and the 5GHz connection is dedicated to the media bridge connection. Will raise with Asus Support, how have, to date, been helpful and efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes places other routers cannot go, 12 Aug. 2013
I bought this router because I wirelessly stream TV in an apartment with concrete walls. My old router could only reach some of the rooms and the feed would be constantly buffering.
This router has completely resolved the issue. Strong, fast signal in all rooms with little buffering.
Setup took me less than 5 minutes. So simple.
Nice work, Asus!