5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait ????
Published 17 months ago by spindr64

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
I got this to replace a 20 router that was dropping connection and had file poor network transfer speeds. I'm using Virgin Media superhub in modem mode.

Pro's:
The unit looks great. It's got a ton of great functions. It's fast on wireless devices when you're close up to it.

Con's:
My wireless coverage is not improved at all. Infact it's...
Published 6 months ago by Mr. R. E. Maskell

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait ????, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Accessory)
I got one of these because I had a Virgin Media (not so) Super Hub. I also had another router servicing the lounge area of the house and a repeater from that in the kitchen to reach the back of the house and my bedroom above. It's a large house and this was the only way to get wireless service all around the house. So I switched the super hub into modem mode, disconnected the other router and repeater then connected the Asus.

It was simple to set up. The user interface is intuitive and delivers plenty of power and options to suit most users. The first thing I noticed was a much improved internet speed. I think this is down to the super hub only having to be a modem. I then checked range. The Asus is positioned in the front of the house in my office. I went to the furthest point away upstairs and tried connecting my iPhone 5 and iPad. Both had a full signal which was unheard of before. The speed that both devices flew around the internet was nothing like I had experienced with my previous setup.

I then put it to a bigger test. I started downloading a 6Gb file on my PC, connected my Apple TV and started streaming a HD movie trailer, connected my iPhone 5 and iPad and my wife's iPad Mini and got them all streaming movie trailers. This would be enough to put any ISP through its paces. All devices worked perfectly at the same time with no lag.

I must say that this is probably the best purchase I have made in a long time. I only wished I had done it months, even years before (had it been available then).

The way I look at it is that I pay a significant amount of money for a 60Mb internet service and for what is really a comparatively small outlay now get to benefit the full 60Mb.

So if you want the advice of a technology and gadget junky, stop messing about and get one of these. By the way, I never write reviews!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome router - Works with BT Infinity well (manual setup required)., 28 Jan 2013
PaleBlueDot - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'd consider myself a computer expert, and I love this router. It looks awesome, it has an awesome name (Dark Knight), it is rock sold, provides extremely reliable wireless connectivity (only one dropped ping to Google in 2 days), and a shed load of advanced options out of the box for even the most demanding users. You can also install custom firmware (e.g. Merlin's) and turn on telnet and directly access the Linux shell. Yet, the defaults are sensible so it's good for beginners too.

So why only 4 stars? Well, it refused to work with BT Infinity using it's "Quick Internet Setup" wizard. This is disappointing given BT is the UK's biggest ISP. However, it DOES WORK with BT Infinity - you just need to set up the connection manually, and I'll post the details here in case anybody else has the same issue...

Cancel the Quick Internet Setup Wizard. Goto WAN (on the left). WAN Connection Type = PPPoE. Enable WAN = Yes. Enable NAT = Yes. Get WAN IP automatically = Yes. Connect to DNS Server automatically = Yes. User Name = bthomehub@btbroadband.com. Password = Doesn't matter what you put here, but it must be SOMETHING (I used "notset"), and this is what caused me the headaches as I'd left it blank like it is in the Home Hub 3 you get from BT. Leave everything else alone. Apply... and you'll connect.

EDIT AFTER OWNING FOR 4 MONTHS: This router has been flawless. It has not needed restarting once. My BT Infinity connection was down for several days while BT performed scheduled work at my local cabinet. But that didn't matter too much because I simply activated tethering on my Android phone and plugged the phone into one of the router's USB ports. Seconds later my entire network is connected to the internet again via 3G. How truly awesome is that? I've also used its "guest WiFi" facility where you can set up temporary (you set an expiry date/time) additional WiFi networks with their own names and passwords so you can give any guests you have staying over WiFi access without revealing your own WiFi password. You can optionally enable or disable local LAN access for the guest WiFi networks (i.e. give them just internet access, or full network access too).

Feel free to ask technical questions in the comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Range!!!!!, 27 Jun 2012
I got this router to replace my Linksys E4200 V2. That particular router was fine but I couldn't get a wifi signal on my iPhone in the main bedroom upstairs. It would randomly disconnect. I had a similar problem with an Apple Airport Extreme. The only router that I actually could get signal in that room was from a Netgear WNDR3700. The signal was however low and sometimes web pages would fail to load.
After reading a few reviews I decided to splash out on this Asus flagship router.
I have had it running for two weeks now. It came with the latest firmware already installed so must be a new batch. Performance wise I have had zero issues. Where other routers were struggling with signal, this one is giving me full bars on my iPhone! I have had no lag or disconnects at all. I have not had to reboot the router either. This is really a set and forget device, exactly how a router should be.
If I have to find fault with it I would say it runs warmer to the touch then all my previous routers. Secondly when you go into the web GUI to make adjustments things aren't as polished as they should be. I am on the latest firmware but if I click on firmware update it always claims there is new firmware available when in reality there isn't. In sure Asus will fix it in an update soon though.
If you want a router purely for range I doubt you will find anything better than this. For that reason alone in going to rate this 5 out of 5. I would say range and stability are the two most important things for me when considering a router and this delivers outstanding performance on both counts.
Closing this review I highly recommend this Asus. I have had no lockups, I have had no need to reboot the router. It has simply been 100% stable. If Asus fix the setup GUI it would be perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my this is awesome., 20 Oct 2013
Ok so I have a large house with multiple items on wifi. A fair few I fact.

I also have a netgear wifi extender which was originally connected to the standard Virgin Media Superhub 2 router. For some reason the router would lock up and hang. Thus needing a complete reboot. Plus making the devices hang and not load any websites or apps.

So had a little read and decided that the majority of issues are due to poor wifi routers. Decided on the router just because I didn't want another Belkin router.

Once I wired and set everything correctly I could instantly notice the increase range without the wifi extender. Also once the extender was connected I could move it a bit further away getting much better coverage. Now with everything connected to the router there's no hangs or having to do a reboot.

So it's definitely worth the money. Found it fairly easy to set up. I'm not a noob but needed to get used to where the settings were.

It looks good and is a remarkable improvement on the standard routers given away with broadband services.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of Beauty, 4 Sep 2012
I've just signed up for BT Infinity after 5 years of being with 'Be', my favourite ISP by far, however, no fibre planned for at least a year. So before I get connected and rather than using the standard BT Home Hub 3 which apparently is a decent bit of kit, I thought I'd upgrade my trusty Netgear DG834GT (tweaked to perfection) to a decent Router. I decided I would stay with what I knew and after reading some great reviews I went for the Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. It was simple to set up and easy to get online but I wasn't impressed with the size, build quality or the range of the wireless so I looked around again. I almost went for the RT-N56U but thought 'what the hell', may as well go for the flagship and ended up with the RT-N66U.

First thing I noticed was how much smaller and heavier the RT-N66U was when compared to the Netgear, it's solid and just looks so beautiful , I have it sitting on my bedside drawers near the wall so the antennas can be folded down the back. Again very simple to set up and get online, a matter of minutes from unpacking to surfing. The GUI is simple and intuitive takes no time at all to set up the wireless networks. I just think the guest networks are great, you can even time restrict any network so if you have kids they can only browse while your up and about to supervise them. Can't wait to try it on BT Infinity, at the moment I'm just running it off my DG834GT set as a modem on a ADSL+2 line at 18Mbps

The range is fantastic the 5G has much more penetrative power than the WNDR4500 so now even my neighbour can share on her own dedicated network. I live in a 200 year old house and the external walls are 3' thick, even with that I can now sit at the other end of my garden 40 feet away.

I have tried the TomatoUSB firmware and find it a little over fussy for my liking, I think once they have a very stable version I may go back but for the moment I'll stick with the official firmware.

In the words of Janus Johansen (another reviewer of the RT-N66U), " I'm super impressed ", and so glad I decided to buy this equipment.

Update Sept 16th 2012:

With BT Infinity now installed it did take a little while to get the RT-N66U to sync with BT's server, mainly I think because of the order I power cycled the units. I tried rebooting the modem first and then the RT-N66U but it wouldn't sync. Eventually having defaulted the settings on the RT-N66U, rebooting both modem and router at the same time, using the set up wizard, it synced up. Obviously the range doesn't change neither does the RT-N66U control the UL/DL Speed but I am synced at 75Mb Down and 17Mb Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Superhub upgrade, 9 Mar 2013
Got a 60 meg Virgin broadband connection, and while this was fine in the same room as the 'super' hub it quickly dropped off in other rooms - down to 1 or 2 in the kitchen which is 40 foot and 1 wall away, and nothing at all in some of the rooms upstairs.

This has solved all the issues - its got a super strong signal (now 40-50 in kitchen) and was a 2 min job to set up

Not cheap but well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Answer to my Problems !, 31 Oct 2012
M. Chaplin (Surrey) - See all my reviews
At last ! I have bought a router that fixes all my networking issues ! Am so pleased I payed the extra for this outstanding - and very syylish , little black box ! Have gone through 3 other "N" routers from major brands and have always suffered with network dropout , rebuffering Audio, IP Conflicts and constant dropping of network devices such as security cameras - So after reading the good reviews , thought I'd take a punt on a good brand - but one less known for Networking products - And am so glad I did ! Installed in 5 mins , and instantly , all my cameras came on line , the wireless signal to my Kitchen had leaped from 26% to 79% - was amazed. The antennas really do a great job of boosting the signal. The software setup is very easy and works a treat ! Can honestly say , after 3 other "good" routers , this for me , has been the clear winner and am very glad I purchased it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with Virgin Media, 18 Sep 2012
If your on the 100Mb Virgin Media Service, and not getting full speed. It probley down to your old router.
Put your VM Superhub into modem mode, and plug this unit into the superhub, and watch your VM service fly.
Getting 103Mb on the 100Mb service, cant wait till my service goes to 120Mb. Easy to setup, took all of 10mins.

After using for a few days now, this has to be the BEST router I have used on a Home network. I have used Linksys, Netgear, Zyxel, and Belkin, and none come close to the speed and features.

Great for Gaming on PC and Console.

I have added a 32GB USB memory stick, so this gives me a small shared network area.

If your in two minds what router to get, this will be the one to go for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blistering performance and loads of features make this a top notch router, 26 Sep 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The stock TalkTalk wireless router that I currently use has always been mediocre at best. Its main letdown is its wireless coverage which is very poor to the point where only devices downstairs (where the router is located) can see the wireless network, anything upstairs has no wireless coverage at all.

So with the Asus RT-N66U I had very high hopes that this could give me both the performance and coverage boost I was looking for. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed, this router simply blew away my bog standard TalkTalk router in every department.

The 3 huge antennas are both adjustable and detachable, allowing maximum flexibility to fine tune wireless performance, giving 3 MIMO streams with a theoretical wireless speed of up to 900Mbps. I had no way of accurately measuring the exact throughput speed I was getting, instead I put it through scenarios that my previous router used to struggle with (or simply not do!).

So I positioned my laptop as far away from the Asus RT-N66U as possible, the upstairs bedroom, which was the furthest distance away within the house, plus this introduced obstacles such as walls and ceilings. With my previous router I got no wireless signal whatsoever from this location, so I was immediately encouraged to see a full strength signal from the RT-N66U.

I then started copying large (5Gb+) MKV files to my media server which was on the same wireless network, something my previous router couldn't do due to lack of coverage. Copying speeds were nothing short of phenomenal, 5Gb files were copied in a few minutes as if on a hardwired Ethernet network. In fact I repeated these tests a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and every time the file copies were blistering fast.

I then tried watching a 1080P HD streamed movie wirelessly and was amazed at the smoothness of the playback, and even on fast moving action scenes the movies played back beautifully smooth, on a par with any Cat5e network.

Given that this router is also packed with features such as a VPN server (not just the VPN passthrough that many routers have), 2 USB ports for hosting HD storage or for use as a print server, USB 3G dongle support and support for up to 6 wireless networks, this router provides every feature a home user could ever want.

This is without doubt the fastest wireless router I've ever used, absolutely fantastic performance and, coupled with a superb set of built-in features, makes the Asus RT-N66U a must buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Replaced Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) With This Asus RT-N66U, 10 Mar 2013
Mr. N. Webber (Stirling, Stirlingshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
Hi

As the title says, I moved from a Netgear WNDR4500 to this router. There was nothing wrong with the Netgear, and my only reason for moving was to get the VPN server functionality offered by the Asus. I owned the Netgear for about a year before I changed.

The VPN server (PTPP with MPPE encryption only) works very well. I access it from a couple of Android devices as well as from work all reliably, and at decent speeds without issues.

The router is let down in a number of area's compared to the WNDR4500:

- When I add firewall rules on the Asus, it takes eon's to apply the changes (seemingly rebooting the router). On the netgear, this was instant
- Editing firewall rules is not possible, one must delete and re-create
- 5GHz wireless is very unreliable, with anoying disconnects, especially when doing sustained transfers (watching films, copying big files). This is the case from 2 different 5GHz devices (both tripple-stream, 40MHz channels). Same clients on the Netgear were rock-solid - zero disconnects. On the Asus, if I were to watch a 2-hour film, I might loose wireless 3/4 times! Likewise, it is near impossible to copy big files (10GB+) around due to disconnects half way though.

- There is no difference in real-world speeds from what I have seen between the WNDR4500 and the Asus (for large file copies, 18Mbytes/sec on 2.4GHz and 26Mbytes/sec on 5GHz - note megabytes, not megabits!)

In conclusion, The only reason to choose the Asus over the Netgear is if you want/need the VPN functionality, and are happy to live on 2.4GHz (5GHz being all but unusable). I have disabled the 5GHz part of this router and put up with reduced throughputs for the sake of getting the VPN server functionality that this router offers. I guess the WNDR4500 is a wee bit more expensive also.

Should ASUS ever pull their fingers out and sort out the 5GHz functionality, this would become an excellent router, as it stands, it gets just 3 stars. If the VPN functionality were not so useful, I would have returned it rather than ebaying my WNDR4500 as I did.

Update 20/05/14: The reliability issues with WiFi were sorted via a number of firmware updates. Should not have had to deal with these issues, but this is often the norm with Asus products. I have upgraded to the Asus RT-AC68U and that had a whole load of wifi issues that were eventually fixed by firmware updates as well. N66U gets an additional star taking it to 4*, but it will never get 5* due to launch issues and subsequent slow resolution (~6 months) that I should never have had to put up with.

Nigel