5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait ????
Published 14 months ago by spindr64

3.0 out of 5 stars Replaced Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) With This Asus RT-N66U
Hi

As the title says, I moved from a Netgear WNDR4500 to this router. There was nothing wrong with the Netgear, and my only reason for moving was to get the VPN server functionality offered by the Asus. I owned the Netgear for about a year before I changed.

The VPN server (PTPP with MPPE encryption only) works very well. I access it from a couple of...
Published 13 months ago by Mr. N. Webber

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait ????, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Accessory)
I got one of these because I had a Virgin Media (not so) Super Hub. I also had another router servicing the lounge area of the house and a repeater from that in the kitchen to reach the back of the house and my bedroom above. It's a large house and this was the only way to get wireless service all around the house. So I switched the super hub into modem mode, disconnected the other router and repeater then connected the Asus.

It was simple to set up. The user interface is intuitive and delivers plenty of power and options to suit most users. The first thing I noticed was a much improved internet speed. I think this is down to the super hub only having to be a modem. I then checked range. The Asus is positioned in the front of the house in my office. I went to the furthest point away upstairs and tried connecting my iPhone 5 and iPad. Both had a full signal which was unheard of before. The speed that both devices flew around the internet was nothing like I had experienced with my previous setup.

I then put it to a bigger test. I started downloading a 6Gb file on my PC, connected my Apple TV and started streaming a HD movie trailer, connected my iPhone 5 and iPad and my wife's iPad Mini and got them all streaming movie trailers. This would be enough to put any ISP through its paces. All devices worked perfectly at the same time with no lag.

I must say that this is probably the best purchase I have made in a long time. I only wished I had done it months, even years before (had it been available then).

The way I look at it is that I pay a significant amount of money for a 60Mb internet service and for what is really a comparatively small outlay now get to benefit the full 60Mb.

So if you want the advice of a technology and gadget junky, stop messing about and get one of these. By the way, I never write reviews!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome router - Works with BT Infinity well (manual setup required)., 28 Jan 2013
I'd consider myself a computer expert, and I love this router. It looks awesome, it has an awesome name (Dark Knight), it is rock sold, provides extremely reliable wireless connectivity (only one dropped ping to Google in 2 days), and a shed load of advanced options out of the box for even the most demanding users. You can also install custom firmware (e.g. Merlin's) and turn on telnet and directly access the Linux shell. Yet, the defaults are sensible so it's good for beginners too.

So why only 4 stars? Well, it refused to work with BT Infinity using it's "Quick Internet Setup" wizard. This is disappointing given BT is the UK's biggest ISP. However, it DOES WORK with BT Infinity - you just need to set up the connection manually, and I'll post the details here in case anybody else has the same issue...

Cancel the Quick Internet Setup Wizard. Goto WAN (on the left). WAN Connection Type = PPPoE. Enable WAN = Yes. Enable NAT = Yes. Get WAN IP automatically = Yes. Connect to DNS Server automatically = Yes. User Name = bthomehub@btbroadband.com. Password = Doesn't matter what you put here, but it must be SOMETHING (I used "notset"), and this is what caused me the headaches as I'd left it blank like it is in the Home Hub 3 you get from BT. Leave everything else alone. Apply... and you'll connect.

EDIT AFTER OWNING FOR 4 MONTHS: This router has been flawless. It has not needed restarting once. My BT Infinity connection was down for several days while BT performed scheduled work at my local cabinet. But that didn't matter too much because I simply activated tethering on my Android phone and plugged the phone into one of the router's USB ports. Seconds later my entire network is connected to the internet again via 3G. How truly awesome is that? I've also used its "guest WiFi" facility where you can set up temporary (you set an expiry date/time) additional WiFi networks with their own names and passwords so you can give any guests you have staying over WiFi access without revealing your own WiFi password. You can optionally enable or disable local LAN access for the guest WiFi networks (i.e. give them just internet access, or full network access too).

Feel free to ask technical questions in the comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Range!!!!!, 27 Jun 2012
I got this router to replace my Linksys E4200 V2. That particular router was fine but I couldn't get a wifi signal on my iPhone in the main bedroom upstairs. It would randomly disconnect. I had a similar problem with an Apple Airport Extreme. The only router that I actually could get signal in that room was from a Netgear WNDR3700. The signal was however low and sometimes web pages would fail to load.
After reading a few reviews I decided to splash out on this Asus flagship router.
I have had it running for two weeks now. It came with the latest firmware already installed so must be a new batch. Performance wise I have had zero issues. Where other routers were struggling with signal, this one is giving me full bars on my iPhone! I have had no lag or disconnects at all. I have not had to reboot the router either. This is really a set and forget device, exactly how a router should be.
If I have to find fault with it I would say it runs warmer to the touch then all my previous routers. Secondly when you go into the web GUI to make adjustments things aren't as polished as they should be. I am on the latest firmware but if I click on firmware update it always claims there is new firmware available when in reality there isn't. In sure Asus will fix it in an update soon though.
If you want a router purely for range I doubt you will find anything better than this. For that reason alone in going to rate this 5 out of 5. I would say range and stability are the two most important things for me when considering a router and this delivers outstanding performance on both counts.
Closing this review I highly recommend this Asus. I have had no lockups, I have had no need to reboot the router. It has simply been 100% stable. If Asus fix the setup GUI it would be perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of Beauty, 4 Sep 2012
I've just signed up for BT Infinity after 5 years of being with 'Be', my favourite ISP by far, however, no fibre planned for at least a year. So before I get connected and rather than using the standard BT Home Hub 3 which apparently is a decent bit of kit, I thought I'd upgrade my trusty Netgear DG834GT (tweaked to perfection) to a decent Router. I decided I would stay with what I knew and after reading some great reviews I went for the Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router. It was simple to set up and easy to get online but I wasn't impressed with the size, build quality or the range of the wireless so I looked around again. I almost went for the RT-N56U but thought 'what the hell', may as well go for the flagship and ended up with the RT-N66U.

First thing I noticed was how much smaller and heavier the RT-N66U was when compared to the Netgear, it's solid and just looks so beautiful , I have it sitting on my bedside drawers near the wall so the antennas can be folded down the back. Again very simple to set up and get online, a matter of minutes from unpacking to surfing. The GUI is simple and intuitive takes no time at all to set up the wireless networks. I just think the guest networks are great, you can even time restrict any network so if you have kids they can only browse while your up and about to supervise them. Can't wait to try it on BT Infinity, at the moment I'm just running it off my DG834GT set as a modem on a ADSL+2 line at 18Mbps

The range is fantastic the 5G has much more penetrative power than the WNDR4500 so now even my neighbour can share on her own dedicated network. I live in a 200 year old house and the external walls are 3' thick, even with that I can now sit at the other end of my garden 40 feet away.

I have tried the TomatoUSB firmware and find it a little over fussy for my liking, I think once they have a very stable version I may go back but for the moment I'll stick with the official firmware.

In the words of Janus Johansen (another reviewer of the RT-N66U), " I'm super impressed ", and so glad I decided to buy this equipment.

Update Sept 16th 2012:

With BT Infinity now installed it did take a little while to get the RT-N66U to sync with BT's server, mainly I think because of the order I power cycled the units. I tried rebooting the modem first and then the RT-N66U but it wouldn't sync. Eventually having defaulted the settings on the RT-N66U, rebooting both modem and router at the same time, using the set up wizard, it synced up. Obviously the range doesn't change neither does the RT-N66U control the UL/DL Speed but I am synced at 75Mb Down and 17Mb Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Riddance VM Superhub, 11 Jan 2013
Cannot express how impressed I am with this router over my ISP provided VM Superhub which quite frankly was crap.

I only live in a 2 bedroom house, albeit a large 2bed. Yet the superhub on either 2.4ghz or 5ghz setting provided terrible coverage unless sat directly infront of it, sometimes even then it would drop bars.

This ASUS though is a monster, I get full bars practically throughout the house, in the garden and on the drive on both 2.4ghz & 5ghz bands and thats with reduced TX power setings :)

Initial Setup was a breeze, literally 2mins and as stated on the box you DO NOT NEED to use the included CD.

LAN speeds top out my connection unlike the superdud.

2 laptops, 1 wireless printer, 2 galaxy S3's & 1 Note 10.1 setup in under 10mins.

GUI is really user friendly, but for those of us who arent scared of really tweaking our home networks dont fret as ASUS havent forgotten about us. There are tons of settings. Infact if you want a test run prior to buying, ASUS have a link on there website.

Tested the DLNA features using an old external HDD and it streams fantastic. Though ive nit bought the router for that as im awaiting the new SEAGATE CENTRAL NAS DRIVE for those duties. That said it works as advertised.

Overall im extremly happy with this device. Thank you ASUS & Thank you Amazon for superfast delivery.

5/5

All devices setup

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router (edited), 10 Jan 2013
Ok I tend not to give bad reviews unless really needed and I wouldn't say I dislike this router because I don't but I have had problems.

At first everything was working fine , fiddled about to get the feel of how it works.

Wireless is fantastic on this puppy and has a decent range !!! and it even works real good on those cheap android tablets that have poor wireless pickup !!!

Gui was simple and quite easy to navigate and its web access quite easy to use from anywere in the world too!!!

Now for the reason I give this 3 stars !!!! At first everything worked well Usenet downloaded max speed and internet loaded ultra fast !!! but after one day my usenet speed dropped and wouldn't go above 600KBs which is pretty poor compared to I was getting 6MBs !!! I though hey it may have been a setting I hit or changed upon setup and so I tried tweaking about !!! switched QoS on and forwarded the correct port but no go I turned it off but no go still 600Kbs. I thought hey my isp might be having issues and so I plugged my computer direct to modem and low and behold I was getting max speeds 6MBS.

I plugged router back in and reset modem and router so the isp could register the new mac and retried to download but again no go !!! so now I reset the router back to factory default to see if that solved the issue but again only 600KB and so again I fiddled about with every combination of things to do from QoS to disabling plugandplay etc ...

So I thought hey I updated the firmware as a new version was detected at start up , I then decided to flash the modem back to its original factory sent firmware and again no go still only 600KBs , I even loaded a merlin custom firmware too see if that helped but again no.

I tested http downloads and those worked fine , I tested the inbuilt nzb usenet app and that had the same problem.

Anyway I decided enough is enough !!! this is supposed to be an easy fast setup as the box says and so I had to return the router.

It is such ashame because it was an excellent router :( I would have ordered a direct replacement but I am cautious now and tend to not request a direct replacement of the same product , just in case the same happens !! :(

If anyone knows what the problem is or was I would appreciate a reply to my review .

Well after getting a replacement everything works fine :) the problem was hardware error , I thought maybe it was a port error , although yes one port didn't work very well the others did :) but for some reason the failed router was not allowing any ports to pass though.

Now the router works 100% and must say im glad :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant router although missing a key feature for me..., 17 Jan 2013
First of all, let me say that unless you buy the ASUS Wireless Dongle that goes with this router, you will not achieve 900mbps (and even then expect to have to sit in the same room ~5 meters away)

However, the wireless capability is not why I purchased this product...

Usage: This router is connected to my Virgin Media homehub which is switched to "Modem Mode", internally I have 3 devices connected directly to the router with a 6 port gigabit switch connected on the fourth port. On this switch a further 4 devices are connected.

Wired connectivity is excellent. Tests were between two Windows 8 machines with SSD's. On a large file (8Gb ZIP File) transfer, speeds remained in the 90-110Mbyte/sec area, occasionally reaching 115Mbyte/sec. On a small file transfer (500x4K and 500x8K), speeds were sporadic but did not drop below 70Mbyte/sec. I cannot confirm if the SSDs were the cause of the speed drop.

Wireless connectivity is strong and consistent on the 8 connected devices in the house. I have my router sat next to the bottom floor window. Wireless range extends approximately 130meters beyond the house in the direction of the window and easily covers the entire of the back garden which is 'hidden' behind an internal wall, external wall and microwave.

Network saturation is handled nicely and QoS seems to do its job well. There was no noticeable internal network jitter when connecting 3 internal devices to an academic torrent server. Internet bandwidth was saturated and became sluggish until QoS was turned on. Once QoS was enabled, there was no noticeable difference in browsing speed with Torrents on or off.

The configuration UI is rather sleek and somewhat similar to the style you might see in ASUS' UEFI BIOS. There is a quick setup wizard to configure your connection. As I use cable, configuration took approximately 15 seconds and the router was up and running immediately.
Some of the options seem counter-intuitive and hidden away, such as DHCP Address Reservation wasn't in the DHCP configuration dialogue. Once you find the controls you're looking for, configuring what you want to do is extremely easy and even a novice could understand and configure the various advanced settings.
As a note, this is the first "after-market" router (one not given to you by an ISP) where the UPnP and NAT actually works properly all of the time. NAT sessions are discarded in an orderly and timely fashion and software that typically threw up NAT and UPnP errors has now stopped doing so and works perfectly (take note CoD players...)

One good feature which often gets overlooked is the network restrictions sections. This allows you to set a schedule that certain devices are allowed to connect to the internet and network. This takes a little effort to initially configure, but from there works perfectly.

The one problem I have with this router is the quality of the diagnostics and reports. Although there are graphs for Internet, Wired and Wireless (2.4 and 5Ghz separately) there is no graph to show me which device is using the bandwidth. This is very useful when you can see a lot of traffic going out of the network but have no idea which device is the problem. There is also no NAT session information or device connection information. So if getting reports or monitoring activity is your thing, unfortunately the N66U won't provide :(

As this is more of personal preference and a "nice-to-have" than something wrong with the router, I see no reason to remove a star from the rating.

If you buy this, you won't be disappointed by it's design, performance or reliability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my this is awesome., 20 Oct 2013
Ok so I have a large house with multiple items on wifi. A fair few I fact.

I also have a netgear wifi extender which was originally connected to the standard Virgin Media Superhub 2 router. For some reason the router would lock up and hang. Thus needing a complete reboot. Plus making the devices hang and not load any websites or apps.

So had a little read and decided that the majority of issues are due to poor wifi routers. Decided on the router just because I didn't want another Belkin router.

Once I wired and set everything correctly I could instantly notice the increase range without the wifi extender. Also once the extender was connected I could move it a bit further away getting much better coverage. Now with everything connected to the router there's no hangs or having to do a reboot.

So it's definitely worth the money. Found it fairly easy to set up. I'm not a noob but needed to get used to where the settings were.

It looks good and is a remarkable improvement on the standard routers given away with broadband services.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flashable Firmware, Great Wireless Signal Strength = Quality Router, 18 Jun 2013
I've used a number of aDSL gateways and routers - this ASUS model is right up there as one of the best. Sorry folks, but I wouldn't touch belkin or netgear with a barge-pole.

Good build quality, well-earned Community reviews and a choice of great DD-WRT flashable firmware (I use Merlin's).

Dual-band wireless with good range is another plus. Web user management is excellent and stable - with the Merlin firmware there is openVPN server so you can connect to your router and connected PC from any device inc. iPhone and android - which means you can then access iPlayer etc whilst outside the UK. It also supports DDNS providers like dns-o-matic and many others - this means you can use openDNS and openVPN even if your ISP uses dynamic IP addressing (most do-your internet IP changes every time you, or your children, reboot the router).

Having spent ages messing around trying to get a TP TD-8817 modem/router working on Sky Unlimited with this ASUS router, I'd recommend the Draytek Vigor 120 modem (only) - a breeze to set-up and works like a dream with the ASUS (even if it is 48). I have written a separate Review on the TP TD - there's nothing wrong with the 8817 except if you are a SKY broadband customer then this TD doesn't 'bridge' between PPOA (which Sky use) and PPOE (which routers in general always have as an option but never PPOA).

The Draytek and this ASUS are an exceptional combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superhub upgrade, 9 Mar 2013
Got a 60 meg Virgin broadband connection, and while this was fine in the same room as the 'super' hub it quickly dropped off in other rooms - down to 1 or 2 in the kitchen which is 40 foot and 1 wall away, and nothing at all in some of the rooms upstairs.

This has solved all the issues - its got a super strong signal (now 40-50 in kitchen) and was a 2 min job to set up

Not cheap but well worth it.

ARRAY(0xb3a3dd74)