Published on 28 Jan. 2013 by PaleBlueDot

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Firmware Updates if You Desire a Strong Signal!
The other reviews will cover the majority of the information you need, but an important thing to note - since the end of last year Asus have changed their radio drivers for ones that are nowhere near as powerful as the old stock firmware. Sadly you need to upgrade to the newer firmware in order to apply the security updates that are needed, so you're stuck with a router...
Published 8 months ago by Mr. James Connors

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome router - Works with BT Infinity well (manual setup required)., 28 Jan. 2013
PaleBlueDot - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Personal Computers)
I'd consider myself a computer expert, and I love this router. It looks awesome, it has an awesome name (Dark Knight), it is rock sold, provides extremely reliable wireless connectivity (only one dropped ping to Google in 2 days), and a shed load of advanced options out of the box for even the most demanding users. You can also install custom firmware (e.g. Merlin's) and turn on telnet and directly access the Linux shell. Yet, the defaults are sensible so it's good for beginners too.

So why only 4 stars? Well, it refused to work with BT Infinity using it's "Quick Internet Setup" wizard. This is disappointing given BT is the UK's biggest ISP. However, it DOES WORK with BT Infinity - you just need to set up the connection manually, and I'll post the details here in case anybody else has the same issue...

Cancel the Quick Internet Setup Wizard. Goto WAN (on the left). WAN Connection Type = PPPoE. Enable WAN = Yes. Enable NAT = Yes. Get WAN IP automatically = Yes. Connect to DNS Server automatically = Yes. User Name = bthomehub@btbroadband.com. Password = Doesn't matter what you put here, but it must be SOMETHING (I used "notset"), and this is what caused me the headaches as I'd left it blank like it is in the Home Hub 3 you get from BT. Leave everything else alone. Apply... and you'll connect.

EDIT AFTER OWNING FOR 4 MONTHS: This router has been flawless. It has not needed restarting once. My BT Infinity connection was down for several days while BT performed scheduled work at my local cabinet. But that didn't matter too much because I simply activated tethering on my Android phone and plugged the phone into one of the router's USB ports. Seconds later my entire network is connected to the internet again via 3G. How truly awesome is that? I've also used its "guest WiFi" facility where you can set up temporary (you set an expiry date/time) additional WiFi networks with their own names and passwords so you can give any guests you have staying over WiFi access without revealing your own WiFi password. You can optionally enable or disable local LAN access for the guest WiFi networks (i.e. give them just internet access, or full network access too).

Feel free to ask technical questions in the comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait ????, 31 Jan. 2013
I got one of these because I had a Virgin Media (not so) Super Hub. I also had another router servicing the lounge area of the house and a repeater from that in the kitchen to reach the back of the house and my bedroom above. It's a large house and this was the only way to get wireless service all around the house. So I switched the super hub into modem mode, disconnected the other router and repeater then connected the Asus.

It was simple to set up. The user interface is intuitive and delivers plenty of power and options to suit most users. The first thing I noticed was a much improved internet speed. I think this is down to the super hub only having to be a modem. I then checked range. The Asus is positioned in the front of the house in my office. I went to the furthest point away upstairs and tried connecting my iPhone 5 and iPad. Both had a full signal which was unheard of before. The speed that both devices flew around the internet was nothing like I had experienced with my previous setup.

I then put it to a bigger test. I started downloading a 6Gb file on my PC, connected my Apple TV and started streaming a HD movie trailer, connected my iPhone 5 and iPad and my wife's iPad Mini and got them all streaming movie trailers. This would be enough to put any ISP through its paces. All devices worked perfectly at the same time with no lag.

I must say that this is probably the best purchase I have made in a long time. I only wished I had done it months, even years before (had it been available then).

The way I look at it is that I pay a significant amount of money for a 60Mb internet service and for what is really a comparatively small outlay now get to benefit the full 60Mb.

So if you want the advice of a technology and gadget junky, stop messing about and get one of these. By the way, I never write reviews!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive router, 5 Oct. 2012
Purchase
--------
I received the RT-AC66U router from Amazon on the 4th October 2012, which I had ordered the day before for the price of £152. At the time of writing this review it had gone up to £168, so I count myself lucky. Delivery, as is usually the case, was on time and the item arrived in perfect condition.

Features
--------
The RT-AC66U has four Ethernet ports and a WAN port, all gigabit which is a big plus - especially the WAN port which meant I could make full use of my Virgin 120Mbps service. The router has two USB 2.0 ports on the back, which allows you to connect various devices. It also has DLNA compatibility, allowing you to access media from any attached external hard drives from other DLNA compatible devices on your network. Internet access can be switched over to an attached 3G/4G dongle if your main connection goes down. You can also use the router's built-in print server to access an attached USB printer from anywhere on the network. I haven't used any of the USB related features however so cannot comment on how well they work - but it's disappointing they are only 2.0, especially considering many including myself have 3.0 external drives.

Setup
-----
Fortunately setup was non-eventful. I have a fairly complex network consisting of multiple Ethernet switches and wireless repeaters but it seamlessly slotted into place of my trusty Billion BiPAC 7800N which had served me well for two years. All of my devices connected to the RT-AC66U without hassle and without me having to mess around with the rest of the network. I ported over my fixed IP assignments and wireless filtered MAC addresses from my old router manually (copy-and-pasting from a text list didn't work due to differently formatted characters), but while it was a tedious and time-consuming process at least it all worked perfectly first time. I also updated the firmware to the latest version at the time of purchase (3.0.0.4.220) and all settings were preserved. Having said this, I am quite experienced with setting up networks and so did not have to consult the manual. As such, I cannot say how well the manual is written or how easy it would be for someone relatively inexperienced to configure the device.

Performance
-----------
My Ethernet speeds are as good as they were with my old router (which also had gigabit ports, though only a 100Mbps WAN port), so no complaints there. My wireless-N speeds have definitely improved - I estimate roughly 10-15Mbps on average on 2.4GHz 802.11n). I can now run my wireless network on 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands simultaneously, and the 5GHz signal stretches through my house just fine, though quite frankly I only have 2-3 devices that make use of it. What's more, it seems to interfere with my Sennheiser RS220 wireless headphones less than my old wireless network did, even on the same channel. Some tests/reports claim that the RT-N66U performs slightly better on 802.11n, perhaps because of more mature firmware, but I can't verify this except to say that speed-wise the RT-AC66U noticeably improved on my previous router which was itself generally highly rated.

Reliability
-----------
I have read complaints on various online fora about unreliability and flakiness, especially with the latest firmware, but I have had no such problems so far (touch wood). I never have to restart the router unless I make changes to some of the settings and it's not uncommon for it to be active and working properly for weeks on end without issue.

Wireless-AC and Media Bridge mode
---------------------------------
One of the "stand-out" features of this router is the 802.11ac capability which, in theory at least, can provide more than a gigabit of bandwidth wirelessly, potentially enabling wireless devices to achieve wired speeds. However, this standard has not been finalised. The RT-AC66U has the "Draft 2.0" version of 802.11ac so while there's a good chance that future 802.11ac devices will be compatible, there's no guarantee - particularly if changes are made to the chipset. Because of this, I considered getting the RT-N66U instead, which is more or less the same router but without the 802.11ac feature.

However, Asus permit a second RT-AC66U router to be employed as a "Media Bridge", which employs 802.11ac on the 5GHz frequency. This can theoretically eliminate some of the cabling in a wired LAN without compromising speed, which in itself could justify the purchase of this device - in particular if you have a large LAN and you want to replace the cabling for example between the top and bottom levels of a premises. This situation reflected my own, which prompted me to purchase a second unit for use as a Media Bridge. Doing so also facilitated tests to determine the accuracy of some professional reviews that indicated good performance for the 802.11ac.

The secondary "Media Bridge" router was placed downstairs in my house with the primary router approximately 20 feet away upstairs (measured in a direct line). The Media Bridge connected to the primary router wirelessly, on the 5GHz channel using the "N Only" and "80MHz" bandwidth options, ensuring an 802.11ac connection. It took some time to position the Media Bridge so that it could connect reliably to the primary router; placing it right behind my television caused problems. Elevating it slightly and using the supplied stand to place it upright with the antennae positioned vertically fixed the problem and a connection was established. As someone who uses the wireless MAC filter feature, I also realised that both the LAN and 5GHz MAC addresses for the Media Bridge needed to be added to the 5GHz "accept" list on the primary router, as did the MAC addresses of *all* the devices connecting to the Media Bridge, otherwise those devices (Smart TV, PS3) could not connect to the Internet.

To test the performance of 802.11ac (5GHz), I examined the throughput between the primary router and the Media Bridge via their 802.11ac connection. Using a test laptop with a 1.5GB test file, I transferred the file over the LAN between a server (source) and the laptop (destination), with the former connected via Ethernet to the primary router and the latter connected to the LAN in three different configurations:

(a) connected via Ethernet to the primary router;

(b) connected via 802.11n 2.4GHz to the primary router while positioned next to the Media Bridge downstairs; and

(c) connected via Ethernet to the Media Bridge, also while positioned next to the Media Bridge downstairs, and with the Media Bridge connected wirelessly to the primary router via 802.11ac (5GHz).

This provided a comparison between the 802.11n (2.4GHz) and 802.11ac (5GHz) bandwidth at the same position and distance relative to the primary router, as well between the wired and wireless connections, demonstrating the efficacy of the Media Bridge mode of the unit in replacing a wired connection. While wired bit-rates are a function not just of the network architecture but also factors such as the speed of the hard drives, the transfer was done between the same devices on the network to ensure some consistency for the comparison.

For (a) (wired to the primary router) the average transfer rate was approximately 250Mb/s (around 31MB/s).

For (b) (802.11n connection) the transfer rate averaged approximately 17Mb/s (around 2MB/s).

For (c) (wired to the media bridge connected to the primary router via 802.11ac), the rate averaged 125Mb/s (around 15.5MB/s).

While only half the average bitrate for a wired connection, and given that the theoretical 1.3Gb/s bandwidth of 802.11ac is not realistically achievable in practice, and also considering that the signal had to penetrate two walls and a floor as well as various obstacles over a distance of around 20 feet, this was an excellent result overall and showed a clear superiority (~635%) over the direct 802.11n connection between the laptop and the primary router. This is pretty much in line with the performance observed in some professional reviews of the RT-AC66U.

Subsequently, having shuffled my network around a little, including moving one of my desktop PCs downstairs and connecting it via Ethernet to the Media Bridge, I decided to move the Media Bridge to see if I could improve speeds further. It was repositioned to the room directly underneath the primary router, shortening the distance to around 10 feet in a straight line. Some obstacles remained, in particular the ceiling, a metal filing cabinet and an armchair. File transfer speeds between two desktop PCs - the one downstairs wired to the Media Bridge, and one upstairs wired to the primary router - achieved an average of 185Mb/s (around 23MB/s), more than satisfactory for essentially obviating the need to wire up the upstairs and downstairs portions of my LAN.

Overall, the media bridge set up is extremely effective and the experience when using devices connected to the media bridge to view BBC iPlayer, Netflix or video streamed via a media server over the LAN is *noticeably* quicker and lag free, with shorter buffering times. File sharing or remote desktop connections between the upstairs and downstairs PCs through the wireless Media Bridge connection are to all intents and purposes indistinguishable from the experience when all PCs were directly wired to the same router, which is ideally what one wants with a wireless environment. Consequently, if wanting to replace cabling over relatively long distances between two "halves" of a LAN, currently the twin RT-AC66U setup seems the best option for minimising loss of bandwidth. For wireless networks in general, 802.11ac even in draft form outstrips 802.11n by some margin.

Conclusion
----------
To summarise, the positives of the RT-AC66U in my experience are:

(1) Easy to set up;
(2) Lots of features for network configuration;
(3) Ethernet and Wireless-N perform excellently;
(4) Wireless-AC significantly outstrips Wireless-N, even in draft form;
(5) Media Bridge mode is highly effective even at a fair distance with obstacles;
(6) Highly reliable and does not require regular restarts;
(7) Looks nice and built well.

At least in the context of my experience and requirements, the drawbacks are few, though other reviews suggest cons that may be more relevant for your situation:

(1) USB ports are only 2.0;
(2) 802.11ac is only Draft 2.0, throwing future compatibility into question;
(3) Using Media Bridge mode with MAC filtering may be a little fiddly.

Given the draft status of the 802.11ac feature implemented in the RT-AC66U, those who don't have (or desperately need to use) any AC enabled devices and who do not have much use for the Media Bridge mode are perhaps better off saving a chunk of cash and purchasing the RT-N66U instead until routers appear with a finalised 802.11ac specification. But for those who do need AC now and/or are willing to purchase two units to make good use of the Media Bridge feature, the RT-AC66U performs superbly and certainly more than justified the cost of two units for my requirements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Range!!!!!, 27 Jun. 2012
I got this router to replace my Linksys E4200 V2. That particular router was fine but I couldn't get a wifi signal on my iPhone in the main bedroom upstairs. It would randomly disconnect. I had a similar problem with an Apple Airport Extreme. The only router that I actually could get signal in that room was from a Netgear WNDR3700. The signal was however low and sometimes web pages would fail to load.
After reading a few reviews I decided to splash out on this Asus flagship router.
I have had it running for two weeks now. It came with the latest firmware already installed so must be a new batch. Performance wise I have had zero issues. Where other routers were struggling with signal, this one is giving me full bars on my iPhone! I have had no lag or disconnects at all. I have not had to reboot the router either. This is really a set and forget device, exactly how a router should be.
If I have to find fault with it I would say it runs warmer to the touch then all my previous routers. Secondly when you go into the web GUI to make adjustments things aren't as polished as they should be. I am on the latest firmware but if I click on firmware update it always claims there is new firmware available when in reality there isn't. In sure Asus will fix it in an update soon though.
If you want a router purely for range I doubt you will find anything better than this. For that reason alone in going to rate this 5 out of 5. I would say range and stability are the two most important things for me when considering a router and this delivers outstanding performance on both counts.
Closing this review I highly recommend this Asus. I have had no lockups, I have had no need to reboot the router. It has simply been 100% stable. If Asus fix the setup GUI it would be perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally - sky fibre wifi works all round the house, 13 Jan. 2015
The thing about things which just "work" you tend not to leave reviews. I have had this for about a year now and it works perfectly.
I have Sky Fibre so my set up is this - telephone line comes into the house then goes into a BT modem. Then it goes into the rubbish Sky Hub. I say rubbish because it is still only single band (not 5gh - even the new one) and you can't do much else with it. The only thing you can do is turn off the Wifi.
So it goes from the Sky Hub to the Dark Knight. And I use this for my wifi. Why? Because Sky has all its codes and passwords inside that rubbish Sky Hub. Yes - you can find out your passwords from it but frankly it isn't worth the effort (I tried and gave up after 2 hours - finding the password is one thing, putting that password into the Dark Knight is quite another thing)
So I use the Sky Hub purely for the sky password and connect it to the Dark Knight for proper wifi. IMPORTANT - you must turn the dark knight into a wireless point mode (not the ISP mode as it is no longer connecting to the internet for you - the sky hub is).
Once I did that I had no issues at all in anything dropping out.
There are lots of nice features like giving guests wifi passwords - you can now do this without having to log them in - just say use the Wifi which says guest and password 1234. In our days of everyone asking this it is a nice feature - but watch out - they could control your SKY HD box unless you exclude that in the settings (I couldn't be bothered).

Overall - whilst you might think - what is the point of paying for a wifi router when Sky gives you one for nothing. There a lot of difference between nothing and a hundred quid - much better wifi for one!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent Dual Band router, 21 July 2014
This is an excellent Dual Band router.

First let me clear up any confusion and confirm that it is fully compatible with any broadband connection: ADSL, Fibre, Cable...

That said, it is a wireless router only, therefore with which ever broadband connection you have, you will always need a modem. The (main) internet connection input uses a gigabit ethernet port, so you would need a modem which connects via ethernet AS WELL as this unit. Here are my recommendations to do this;

ADSL / ADSL2+ (TalkTalk, Sky, Plusnet, BT, EE, Primus, etc) :

TP-Link TD-8616 Modem: http://amzn.to/1msigtF
DrayTek Vigor 120 Modem: http://amzn.to/1jM5lIk
Any ISP supplied modem/router by ideally using a modem only mode if available or turning off any routing/wireless/firewall functions and connecting one of the LAN ports to the WAN port on the RT-N66U.

Fibre 38 Mbps / 80 Mbps (FTTC, TalkTalk Fibre, Sky Fibre, Plusnet Fibre, BT Infinity, EE Fibre, Primus Fibre, etc) :

Ask BT Openreach to leave you a standard VDSL modem when they come to activate your line, or again, you can use any ISP supplied modem/router by ideally using a modem only mode if available or turning off any routing/wireless/firewall functions and connecting one of the LAN ports to the WAN port on the RT-N66U.

Cable (Virgin Media) :

Switch the "Super Hub" to modem only mode, and connect the LAN port to the WAN port of the RT-N66U.

Once connected to your modem, set up and connection works flawlessly. Asus seem to get bad press for updating their firmware for some reason? I see this a good thing as their development team are working to improve their products, unlike Netgear which release a product and never intend listening to customers and improving on it. The first thing you should do is check for updated firmware. Type (usually) 192.168.1.1 in your web browser, log in, click Administration -> Firmware Upgrade tab -> Check. Upgrade if necessary. More details can be found on the website here: http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/

To make the very best use out of this router, you would want a wireless N dual band compatible device, and connect on the 5 GHz frequency.

Its simple to upgrade most laptops (HP's are an exception!) providing you get the correct size adaptor:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Laptop Network Card (Full Height) : http://amzn.to/1pcdvMy

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Laptop Network Card (Half Height) : http://amzn.to/1q3pU1c

As with all wireless networks, walls are the biggest problem, especially if you have thick walls or 3 floors. In that situation, you could physically move the location of the router to another location, and run a network cable to the modem, or use a wireless range extender.

Without going into too many tweaking details (as it is usually site specific), generally to get the best performance, any wired devices should connect using gigabit ethernet with Cat6 cable, and the wireless channels should be set to use 40Mhz bandwidth on a high channel number (2.4 GHz) if your devices support it, and 40 MHz bandwidth (5 GHz channel), again only if your devices support it.

It has many advanced features; in built VPN server (connect to your home network while connected to someone else's internet), USB 2.0 file / printer sharing, mobile 3G or 4G tethering, parental controls, traffic manager (QoS), isolated guest network, AiCloud (virtual drive), custom firewall, IPv6 compatibility, It is also supported by DD-WRT if you need professional functions.

I have 2, to create a network bridge - ie one is downstairs in the house connected to the modem - primarily for wireless devices to connect to the internet, then the other unit is outside in another building and connects 4 wired devices to the network. The link speed is 300 Mbps, and has been active for over a year without any problems.

If you have the extra to spend, you should consider the latest Asus router, which uses the newer wireless AC standard;

Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router : http://amzn.to/Uifvod

Overall this is a brilliant router that out performs any other brand in its class and it is still been actively supported by Asus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait so long before upgrading my WiFi with one of these?, 10 Jun. 2014
I have broadband with Virgin Media and have been using the Superhub for WiFi and wired internet access since it was installed a couple of years ago.

As we get more WiFi devices in the house and more neighbours also get WiFi routers I have been getting more and more inconsistent WiFi performance from this router. When the WiFi is working download speeds can vary from 2Mbps to 25Mbps, compared to the 120Mbps that I currently get from wired devices.

So I have been looking for a wall mountable broadband router with good WiFi to replace the WiFi functionality of the Superhub and the RT-AC66U seemed to fit the bill.

Delivery was next day (with Prime)
Installation was as easy as any router these days. Just needed to set the Superhub into Modem Mode before connecting it to the RT-AC66U. Once the router was setup I then reconfigured all the devices capable of connecting to 5Ghz WiFi to use that instead of 2.4Ghz.

Now I can get 100Mbps on my phone from anywhere in the house!
Even the 2.4Ghz devices seem to get a consistent and strong signal, no more dropouts on my WiFi connected internet radio.

Should of done this upgrade ages ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bomb proof, super reliable, 27 Feb. 2014
S. Crease "Gadgeteer" (South East) - See all my reviews
This is the best bit of computer kit I have ever bought. We have BT infinity piped to our house with an Open Reach modem. In very short succession we went through three BT Home Hub 3s which either blew up or just wouldn't hold wireless connections with our various devices (Macbook pro, Dell laptop, android phones, iPad 3) and I was getting fed up with the BT kit.

I bought the RT-N66U based on the reviews. In three years it has been 100% stable, reliable and fast. No issues or complaints at all. I am reasonably savvy and confident with computer equipment so was fully prepared to have to get in to the settings and configure the unit. No need to fiddle at all, the set up was easy using the wizard. I also found it a breeze to set up two networks one on 2.4GHz and one on 5GHz - I connect our newer faster equipment to the 5GHz network. I found the web based interface reasonably intuitive and easy to use, and far better than other routers I have known (e.g. TP-Link and D-Link equipment).

Tip for any wireless router: to improve stability and avoid interference with other wireless networks in the neighbourhood fix the wireless channel to the one that is least busy. You find that all the BT boxes in the locality al sit on the same channels despite them supposedly auto switching. I downloaded a scanner app to my android phone to search for the quietest channel then set the router.

4.0 out of 5 stars Night and Day - good for Plusnet Fibre, 30 Mar. 2013
I recently moved to plusnet fibre and wanted a reasonable gigabit router so initially purchased the TP Link
TL-WR1043ND. Although cheap and cheerful it locked up daily even after upgrades and resets so was duly returned. I then decided to go a little more upmarket and purchased this router. Buying an Asus router was a first for me but the functionality looked good and reviews were mostly positive so i gave it a go. As the title suggests this is night and day compared to the TP link. The interface is about the best i have seen and the possibilities for configuring it seem endless with the stock firmware let alone 3rd party firmware. The wireless signal seems good all around the house and i especially like the ability to configure a guest network - in fact you can configure several off them if you want to!. Adding a USB drive for network back up took a couple of minutes and it was up and running. If i have one little niggle with it, its the fact that it wont pick up GMT time (its locked at one hour ahead) and the settings to achieve it are incomprehensible. In the end i just used Azores time to match uk time. Its a firmware issue that they will hopefully address in an update. Overall a great little router right out of the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so awesome, 7 Aug. 2013
Bought this to try and improve wireless coverage in my 3-storey townhouse, and as a replacement for my Sky Fibre Hub, and it works like a charm.

Wireless coverage is significantly extended versus before, even extending down to end of 30' garden and into the garage with 2 bars out of 4 on my phone (with router at front of house, so 2 internal and 1 external wall to get through).

As for Sky Fibre, I installed the semi-official 'Merlin' firmware due to Sky's insistence on using proprietary handshake protocols (meaning your average router won't be able to connect), and it connected first time plus it was probably the easiest router I've ever set-up. Literally minutes to set up, although another 40 minute wait ensued before finally connecting (due the scummy way Sky handle their fibre connection, not the router's fault!).

If you have Sky Fibre yourself, do a quick Google first as you'll need to 'sniff out' your login details using Wireshark if you are planning to get rid of your stock Sky router (the process is easy enough and there are plenty of detailed guides available on forums).