5.0 out of 5 stars Just the thing for iPad owners
I've had mine for a few weeks and found it cheaper than on Amazon, but since Amazon is the go-to place for reviews, I'm writing this one.

Published on 15 May 2012 by yaddayadda

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect
The iUSB port is a very small and handy device, however I purchased it mainly to integrate with an existing WiFi network however this feature is extremely slow. Therefore the product was returned however for peer-to-peer it's great!
Published 11 months ago by Agl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the thing for iPad owners, 15 May 2012
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)

This little device is just the thing for iPad owners -- or other mobile devices. It allows you to insert a USB memory stick and make the contents available wirelessly to about 8 clients. USB devices can't be plugged in to iPads or many other mobile devices, so this is the missing link. It's small and light and well-enough made (a little cheap feeling, but not bad). It has a built-in battery lasting about 8 hours, I think, and it can be charged while a memory stick is inserted and being shared.

The best part is that the inventor clearly has thought things through and is keen to get it right. The latest firmware update (version 12, I think) allows you to stay connected to your normal wifi network and simply have CloudFTP join that network -- so you can get to your files without losing connectivity to the rest of the world. Or, the device will create its own wireless network for accessing files when no wifi network is available for it to join (or if you want it that way). It does more, too, but that's all I really wanted it for. The instructions are available on the product's website. Note that instructions for firmware upgrades are a little garbled, but basically you need to have an empty, formatted memory stick, then transfer the upgrade files to it, then plug it in to CloudFTP -- then it will work.

There's a web app to access files on a memory stick inserted into CloudFTP. This is perfectly functional and has some nice features (and easy connectivity: just enter the IP address shown on the device into the browser address bar). But it's a little rough around the edges. The developer admits this and says native apps are on their way. In the mean time, having tried many, I think FileBrowser is best for streaming and GoodReader is best for downloading. Both make it easy to connect to the device. I think all you have to do is enter the IP address of CloudFTP, which is displayed on the LED screen.

CloudFTP is great for allowing multiple people to stream movies or whatever from a memory stick -- or even upload files to it. So it's great for travelling with the family or, I suppose, sharing stuff in a high-tech meeting -- but I reckon the former will be a much more common scenario.

This is a device well worth getting. It solves the problem of limited space on mobile devices, especially while travelling. Cloud storage is great, but having immediate access to large files on a memory stick without needing an internet connection is compelling, and CloudFTP makes that possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars WiFi transmitter, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)
The Cloud FTP solves the problem when a tablet or other device does not have a USB connection but has WiFi capability. My FTP device worked straight away after being charged. I tried it with my iPad, Mac Book Pro and PC. Minor hiccups can be solved by re-booting the device. I give it 10/10 five stars as it works across all operating systems and gives access to all my USB storage devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars iUSBport is a winner!, 19 April 2013
M. S. Culpan - See all my reviews
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)
Why did I buy the iUSBport?

I needed to be able to stream movies of various file formats (mainly .avi) from a HDD to view on my iPad (3rd gen.)

On opening the box....

After a very quick glance at the basic instructions I connected the iUSBport to my HDD using a USB cable. I pressed the power button and allowed a minute of initialisation. I then selected the settings option on my ipad and selected the iUSBport network. From there you can open Safari, type in the IP address as detailed in the guide (it doesn't show it on the display of this model) and you are then presented with a basic interface where you can navigate the HDD. Also, there is a settings button where you can rename the network and password protect it (recommended). Obviously the iPad will only play file types that are compatible. I therefore downloaded the AVPlayerHD app and forget about accessing the HDD through Safari. Instead I go straight to AVPlayerHD and connect to the iUSBport network where I can watch .avi files (and others).

I've also tested accessing the HDD with two separate devices (iPad and iPhone) with each device watching a different movie. It works perfectly. I assumed that the HDDs would need to be mains powered but on testing a portable USB powered HDD (with the iUSBport operating from the supplied Power cable) again found this to work perfectly. A point to note is that although the iUSBport is supplied with a power cable, it does not come supplied with a plug. Is this a problem? Not at all because this little gizmo has been designed to meet the needs of iPad users primarily and the iPad plug is compatible.

Does the iUSBport achieve what I needed?

Yes. It does exactly what I hoped it would. It does more, but for me I just wanted to watch movies that stored away from my iPad

I recommend this product without question if your requirement is the same as mine although I cannot comment on its durability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy way to expand storage capacity and stream avi, mkv, ... to iPad and iPhone, 3 July 2012
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)
My biggest problems with my iPad are the limited storage capacity and the fact that it doesn't play nice with anything that isn't in an itunes-aproved format. When I was looking for an external storage device that could communicate with my ipad, it was important that it would also allow me to play any video format because I hate waisting time on converting video. And the cloudftp was the only one I came accross that could possibly do that. You may know that the cloudftp started as a kickstarter project. And reading the forum they have on the cloudftp wasn't really encouraging. A lot of people complaining about smoke coming out of their device, malfunctioning units, unstable connection, constant freezing during streaming... Still, the idea of the cloudftp was appealing enough to order it and find out for myself. And I am happy I did!

I won't comment on photo viewing or other file types, just on video play back. If you stick to the itunes-aproved formats, the unit functions really well. If you want to stream avi or mkv or anything else, it's just a matter of finding the right app. It took me a while to find a third party app that worked well with the cloudftp for video streaming. Some of them don't work at all, like aceplayer, which normally is my preferred app for video stored on the ipad and upnp/ftp servers I have at home. But aceplayer kept freezing every few minutes. At first I thought it was the cloudftp, but it turned out to be the app that was freezing. So I tried a few others and finally settled on oplayer. So far it hasn't shown a single problem. I tried avi and mkv files, streamed for over 5 hours (till the battery died) and it was perfect! I streamed video from usb sticks, 2.5 HDD (not powered) and 3.5 HDD (powered), it all worked. I even tried l plugging an SD from my camera in a card reader: worked as well.

From now on this little device will travel with me wherever I go. It's small, light, works with every usb drive I have, has good battery life (if you stick to usb sticks) and I can watch any video format on my iPad without having to convert it!

4.0 out of 5 stars travel, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)
I travel a lot with my Ipad and this is a really easy way to carry files, films
or any other large files.

5.0 out of 5 stars CloudFTP and nexus 10, 1 Dec 2012
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)
After a bit of research i had to update the firmware to actually get it to work . I have now got it up and running . i have connected a WD 1.5GB external powered hard drive and have multiple movie files in different formats , using bsplayer app , it has streamed all my movies without any problems even in 1080p. This is a must have for nexus 10 owners as 32gb gets full easy.The booklet isnt of great help and could do with a more detailed or in depth look at how to set it up .
It only comes boxed with a usb lead for charging , so its either buy a usb charger or plug it into p.c or a phone charger.

All in all i hive it 4/5 as it was a lil troublesome to set up .. 5/5 as its a super gadget and its portable with 5hr fully charged .

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile purchase, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)
This is a good, reliable product that does what it states it will do. Connection via Wifi is simple and easy to achieve. An good, solid purchase. However, for playing videos files, I recommend downloading a video App like OPlayerHD (which is free) if you want to watch videos on your iPad. Overall, I'm very pleased with this, as it frees up the space on my iPad memory that was taken up by my videos. A must-buy item.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tool, 9 Sep 2012
Mr. D. J. Harbison "Photographer" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)
Takes a bit of getting use too but is a marvel for streaming videos to your iPad. Ideal for trips away and for holiday

5.0 out of 5 stars Cloud ftp, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)
A very good product, simple to use and opens up the iPad for use in myriads of ways through having USB stick accessibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic storage system woohoo!, 10 Aug 2012
Cannylad (Haltwhistle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CloudFTP iUSBport (Black)
Arrived today and charged with my Google Nexus7 charger in four hours. Transferred four movies from my pc to a 32gb memory stick to test it out. Followed the simple instructions and was simultaneously streaming different movies to my Nexus7, Galaxy S3 and Motorola Xoom without a hitch. It really is cloud in your pocket and worth every penny. Memory sticks are so cheap now that I won't have to bother uploading to each machine any more. Just load up my memory sticks and I'm off. Great item and definitely the shape of things to come - and it's here today.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›