‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Welcome Different Approach, 10 May 2012
For anyone who finds most text books a little daunting, then this could be a potential solution. It is 'home made' and makes no pretence toward being the book that 'every pro photographer should have'. This does not mean it is simplistic - just simply written in a manner that any enthusiastic amateur - especially, perhaps, those of advancing years such as I - can understand. In summary, I have learned more about Lightroom, that I am confident will be retained, in half an hour, than from all the other books I have borrowed or purchased since Lightroom One.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit!, 10 April 2012
I have the old version of this book for Lightroom 3, and it was a reference that I always had at hand.
My experience was: when I got a problem using Ligthroom, I got an answer.

Now I have Lightroom 4... and it's amazing how this book handle this new version.
All the new features are covered, and in a way to get you out of trouble.
Like the title says "Real Answers to Real Questions asked by Lightroom Users", and a lot more...

This book is a must if you want to master Lightroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dedicated personal Help Desk for Lightroom, 28 Sep 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
A brilliant concept which could be used for other software.

To all intents and purposes, this appears to be a privately published book. It does not have the imprint of any of the major publishing houses and the writer-publisher deserves to be rewarded for her idea and its execution. The premise is a simple one; take all the questions ever asked about Lightroom and its users and present the answers in a logical order such that those about loading the library are in one place and those about image adjustment, for example, are in another. There are probably more answers to questions in this one book than you will find in any number of books covering all versions of Lightroom published to date.

I cannot say that every possible question has been answered but probably just about every sensible one has.

There is a listing of available keyboard shortcuts at the end of the book and a reasonably good index.

Fortunately, it is not 100% text in content and there are screen captures of the various workspaces, screens, menus etc where they will be of some assistance. By its very nature, it is not a book that you will necessarily need to read from first page to last but it is one to which you will probably return when necessary.

Comprehensive and well-executed, it will be a worthwhile addition to any digital photographer's bookshelf and a companion to any other book on Lightroom that you own or are considering.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent attrempt to explain a dufficult and buggy program, 20 Dec 2012
Midlander (Herefordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
REVISION: I haven't changed my rating for this book which is an excellent attempt to try to explain a strange program.
But, the program itself (I have just posted a 3 Star review where you can see my reasons in detail) is so unreliable that I would not recommend it. Certainly I strongly recommend that you try the free trial of the program from Adobe first.
When I wrote the review I assumed it was all my fault, but after frustrating months of losing photos and trying to get the hopelessly buggy indexing to work, I'm close to giving up on it. Briefly, the whole-image sharpness, colour etc. processing is excellent (though the essential parts are in Adobe Camera RAW that comes free with Photoshop CS or Elements anyway), but the management tools are too buggy to be relied on and Lightroom does not contain any useful image editing tools apart from an excellent crop and rotate.
I've revised my review with these deficiencies in mind.

Lightroom 4 is not an easy program to get started with, strange, unintuitive ways of doing things. You can't start by just dabbling with it (like the more comprehensive Photoshop for instance) and, to begin with, I was close to giving up. This was not helped by the absence of any kind of printed guide, an indifferent PDF manual and a very poor "Help" options within the program.

The excellent on-line third party documentation helps. In fairness to Adobe, much of this is accessible through their Support site. BUT there are two BIG problems with relying with online advice:
1. You do have to be sure you are reading the advice for Version 4 because web-links often do not make this clear and, as other reviewers have pointed out, there have been significant changes from earlier versions.
2. You really need to adopt a consistent workflow to use this program and the vast amount of advice out there can be confusing as different people will choose different approaches which may not mix well. So I'd recommend choosing one principal guide and using online searches for the occasional question that remains unresolved.

This book does exactly what it claims - informed answers to the vast majority of things you need to know to use the program effectively. It is clearly and logically laid out and the advice is concise and, as far as I've been able to see, accurate. There is a good index too. The production quality is excellent - it IS a properly, professionally printed and manufactured book. Apart from the cover, it is in monochrome but this is no problem at all in use.

You also get free access to pdf, Kindle and ePub versions and the pdf, at least, does include colour. AND you have priority help when you need it from Victoria herself, who hosts the excellent Lightroom Queen website. Keep the Amazon receipt when the book comes - you will need proof of purchase to get these extras.

I first bought Scott Kelby's book as it had such glowing reviews, but I found it too wordy for a reference book, with insufficient subheadings to find what I wanted: it is written like a chat. I can see Scott's reasoning - the program needs a logical, sequential approach and a light-hearted approach can make this more palatable. Fine in a lecture, but I found it very heavy going in a book particularly when using it for reference. I much prefer Victoria's Q&A approach. You may disagree! Try searching online for Victoria Bampton and Scott Kelby and see how you would feel with a weighty tome in their style. Both are that - they have to be!

But I can't emphasize enough that I would recommend anyone buying Lightroom for the first time to TRY THE FREE TRIAL VERSION FIRST. If you think it's worthwhile, consider buying this book as a manual. Try searching for the Lightroom Queen website first and for the work of other writers/advisers: Laura Shoe, Martin Evening (I have two of his superb Photoshop books)and Phil Nelson are also excellent - as well as Scott Kelby of course.

If you are new to Lightroom, you may wonder why I think you need a comprehensive guide. The learning curve for Lightroom is right up-front because of the non-destructive editing on which Lightroom is based. This is marvelous, particularly with RAW images, because you do not need to keep saving multiple copies (or layers in Photoshop) of huge uncompressed files to keep working on them. Nor do you you need multiple copies in different folders arranged by date, theme, place, shoot, collection etc. as the tagging system does that on one image (Windows will do that too now of course but Lightroom takes it much further). The tiny text files, which record your editing, and the bigger database that holds your index need to be integrated to recognize one another. This means you need to "Import" your pictures to Lightroom to index them and work on them, and "Export" them to work on them in other programs or move them onto media outside your computer etc.

As I said at the start - you can't just dabble and you still have to be aware of the pitfalls - most of which are listed on page 75 of this excellent manual as The Top 10 Gotchas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the previous version, 18 May 2012
JimLep (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
I've used Lightroom 3 - the missing FAQ for some time now, and found it really helpful when I'm in difficulty, or when I'm just browsing. This version for Lightroom 4 has been expanded and is even better. The printed version sits by my desk and is perfectly useable in monochrome, but when I'm out and about I can dip in from my phone or Kindle. The electronic versions are also particularly useful when searching for something that isn't explicitly in the index. Well done, Victoria.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, 12 April 2012
I've used Lightroom for a while. I think I'm pretty good at it. This book shows that I literally don't know the half of it.

Well written and easy to read with a conversational style and great for dipping into. I keep a copy on my Kindle and read a nugget every time I get 5 minutes.

This book will help you get more out of Lightroom, edit faster and get better results. Bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable resource for anyone using Lightroom 4, 11 April 2012
I bought this book for LR 3 and had no hesitation in buying the new version for LR4. I wasn't disappointed as it is even more comprehensive than the previous edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to lightroom 4, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 - The Missing FAQ - Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users (Kindle Edition)
You will just love this software, once you get your head around it. If you are a regular user of adobe software, the learning curve will be very easy if you are new to adobe products the learning curve will be steep. this is a must have product for any person taking lots of photo`s and want`s to adust the white balance in many photo`s quickly, this product is ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only Lightroom book you need!, 11 April 2012
Victoria's previous book was always been the single most useful resource any Lightroom user could have, and this one is even better. Her passion for Lightroom and easy-to-digest writing style makes this an excellent book to read from end to end, but it's just as useful to keep by your computer for those "How do I ...?" moments, and it will help you get the most out of Lightroom 4 whether you are a new user or a seasoned pro. As well as being Adobe-certified in Lightroom and spending some of my time training photographers to use Lightroom I am mostly a working professional photographer - from both perspectives I cannot rate this book highly enough, and it is the one publication I recommend to my students and colleagues at all levels of experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars THe best book for Lightroom 4, 31 May 2012
I've been using Lightroom since version 2 so I know a fair bit about the product. Or so I thought! I bought this book when it came out for Lightroom 3 and it answered every question I could throw at it. It got to the point that I was just reading it for kicks (sad, but useful). When Lightroom 4 came out I hoped Victoria would release a version of The Book for LR4. She did. I bought it on 'spec because of my experience with the Lightroom 3 version. I am very glad I did. It is, quite simply, the best book on Lightroom out there.

The books intention is NOT to teach you how to use Lightroom. What it does - brilliantly - is answer the "how do I...." questions. Every.Single.Time.

I've only given it 5 stars. I'd give it 6 out of 5 if I could.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›