5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for me, 29 July 2013
OJ Saunders "ole_v2" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Korg microKEY-61 USB MIDI Controller (Electronics)
The dimensions Amazon list here are completely wrong. It's actually 85cm long, 14cm deep, and 5.3cm at its highest point. Note that the USB cables all plug into the left side rather than the back so that potentially adds to the length. These dimensions are pretty small considering the number of keys so naturally the keys are reduced in size but it does fit very comfortably on my small desk and gives me more room for my mouse and computer keyboard.

The small keys also have the effect of meaning your fingers don't have to move as far when playing melodies so if you're a nimble player you may find this allows you to play even quicker and their general light action makes playing this feel delightfully delicate. The risk of hitting the wrong key is of course higher but I imagine that will improve as I get used to it. Small keys also make it possible to make wider stretches than before. I have no problem spanning 16 semitones with this where I only used to be able to achieve 14. But because each key is only 8cm in length playing chords with your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers while making those kinds of stretches is pretty challenging although there's no problem playing chords using all your fingers when you're aren't making large stretches and those kinds of stretches aren't normally possible on keyboards with bigger keys so I don't feel like I lost much.

I find the light action to be very well suited for the small key size and the velocity sensitivity seems to be quite a bit better than my last keyboard so I feel like I can play more expressively with this not less. The build quality seems very nice and key presses don't produce very much noise which means you can bash away as much as you like without disturbing someone sleeping in the same room if you're wearing headphones or something.

The pitch wheel is maybe a little heavy especially compared to the modulation wheel but both are exceedingly accurate and I have no difficulty making increments of 1 with them. The octave buttons light up in different colors to indicate how much octave transposition is in effect which is a nice touch. If you want to reassign the channel MIDI events are directed to or reassign the mod and pitch wheels to different parameters you have to use a little app that you download from the Korg website.

My biggest beef with the keyboard however is the lack of jack input for a sustain pedal so I'm going to have to buy a USB one now and I hope I won't struggle to get them both talking on the same MIDI channel.

Summary:

If you do want to do very serious playing the small key size is unlikely to adequate for you and that's the most important thing about a keyboard. But, if you're like me, and you don't play all that brilliantly, you want a lot of keys in a small amount of space, and don't need lots of modulation knobs and sliders then this is a really nice piece of hardware only lacking a sustain pedal input.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality mini midi keyboard, 5 Jun 2013
M. Adams - See all my reviews
This review is from: Korg microKEY-61 USB MIDI Controller (Electronics)
As other reviewers have already mentioned, this is a bargain, because it comes with eight soft synths included in the price (over 130 pounds worth). The keyboard has a nice solid feel to it and the keys also feel really nice. I love the Wavestation! (Always wanted to have one, but could never afford it). The software can be used with PC and MAC. So far, I've only tried it with my PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginner's Controller, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Korg microKEY-61 USB MIDI Controller (Electronics)
The reason that I say this is that I'm a beginner and found it easy to set up and use. I'm using an Opensource music composition programme and the Korg software plugins work brilliantly. I'm seriously happy with both the keyboard and the software bundled with it (even if it did take nearly 2 hours to install it all!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels good...but where is the 'product code'?, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Korg microKEY-61 USB MIDI Controller (Electronics)
All seems fine, except where is the 'product code' in order to operate the bundle of synths? Is it me?

4.0 out of 5 stars About Synthia, 7 Aug 2013
D Deacon "pixist" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Korg microKEY-61 USB MIDI Controller (Electronics)
The MicroKey 61 is a keyboard with truly dinky toy keys. I know it says micro but not that 'micro'. Must be like someone who has huge hands playing a piano - they have to adapt. It seems pretty solid and the keys have a responsive feel to them. So it's a usable usb midi keyboard.

The software is the thing. Initially I had an issue with it having gone through the long convoluted licencing procedure for each program I found that turning my machine off generated a new Locking Code which required me to relicence the software. It seems a change in the PC's profile causes this. I still don't know what I did to cause this - perhaps a glitch. However, the issue seems to have resolved itself. Fingers crossed - except when playing of course.

The Korg Legacy software synths are fantastic and would together cost more than the microKey-61 package to buy. So, to get it this way is a bargain. Using them is great fun and inspiring too since they generate lots of ideas. All I need now is the time to sit and generate!

For the money this is a real bargain. Give it a go, you'll like it.

I should add encase anyone recalls these Korg synths from years ago: they are now Windows 8, 64-bit compatible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product (Tip), 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Korg microKEY-61 USB MIDI Controller (Electronics)
Love the product - i use it with my FL studio software package and it integrates perfectly!

I basically bought this specific one because of the extra software that it comes with which is well worth the money! They have some very awesome sounds - BUT I must admit, it was not easy understanding how the product keys registered online. There are various loops you have to jump through to get them to work...miss one out and it will not work.

other than that the product is fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four stars for the legacy collection, 7 May 2013
R. Wyatt (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Korg microKEY-61 USB MIDI Controller (Electronics)
If it were not for the bundled software then this is vastly overpriced. The keyboard is OK but for 119 quid I would expect to have something approaching full sized keys and/or pads/assignable knobs. The keys on this thing are like those on the microkorg - not really that great but adequate. It should retail for about half the price without the software. I cant comment on its usefulness as a USB hub - I dont use that. The legacy collection is great. Set aside a few hours to install it though as its a royal pain in the butt to do it but at the end its worth it. I used to have a wavestation SR that eventaully broke down and this emulation is just spot on - replacing that was the main reason for getting this bundle. All of the synths are good actually in terms of playing the presets but will suffer without real knobs - you can only do so much with a computer screen before you give up and buy real hardware for tweaking sounds. Im not an analog fundamentalist and I guess the ms20 didnt have any presets anyway but the ms20 mini is actually polyphonic on some presets - which suprised me - I imagine it was a monosynth - if so then its not an accurate emulation but who cares. Software 10/10 - hardware 5/10

5.0 out of 5 stars The Korg MicroKey is cool......, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Korg microKEY-61 USB MIDI Controller (Electronics)
....but I have a room full of Korg controllers, mini and maxi.

The reason I bought this is for a licensed copy of the Korg Legacy collection (worth about 300, far less than the controller cost).

A powerful collection of original Korg synths to get some real 'old school' sounds into your creations.

Korg microKEY-61 USB MIDI Controller