on 4 September 2012
Some books have a slow start, but this book doesn't. It's punchy and full of action and interesting turns pretty much from the intro. Writing flows well too. Really interesting storyline, though, the writer leaves too big clues of what is going to happen next, that sometimes you've figured out the plot and then the story takes ages to catch up with what you've figured out.

One gripe I did have, but it only happened when I read "The girl in the steel corset" is that this prequel novella doesn't quite fit properly with the main story. This whole novella is pretty much ignored in the main book and all she experienced in this books seems to be reset to nothing in the main book. In the main book, she acts like she's never had any good experience, but she did in this prequel.

It is a really good, fun read. I recommended to YA lovers who like their heroine who have a bit of kick ass to them.
on 18 May 2013
My only problem is I wish I had read this one first instead of 3rd. Brilliant prequel and brings alittle more insight into the character of Finley. I am besotted by this series and already have the new one on pre-order.
on 24 April 2013
A well written book by the canadian author! I found this book whilst on holiday in Cuba on the library shelf. It tunred out a canadian had left it. From start to finish I couldnt put it down and actually read the whole book in one day.I now have moved onto the girl in the steel corset and the girl with the clockwork collar. Amazing read for any scifi fan. Well written and gripping from start to finish.
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is a prequel novella for the Steampunk Chronicles series by Kady Cross. I actually picked up this story after I'd read the first book (The Girl in the Steel Corset) but I think it makes a great introduction to the series and I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

Finley Jayne is a great main character, she knows that there is something different about her but she uses her strength to protect others. In fact we are introduced to her as she is fired from her job for protecting a small boy. She is offered a new job as a companion to a young lady called Phoebe but her suspicions are raised because the job seems too good to be true. Phoebe has recently become engaged but Finley is suspicious of the motives of her much older fiance so she takes it upon herself to investigate. What she uncovers is worse than she could ever have suspected.

I really enjoyed The Girl in the Steel Corset and I think I liked The Strange Case of Finley Jayne even more. If you haven't already started this series then it's one I would definitely recommend checking out. I love the steampunk world that the author has created (although you don't find out as much about that in this novella as you do in the first book). I'm impressed with how much Kady Cross manages to pack into this story and am really looking forward to reading the next book (The Girl in the Clockwork Collar) when it is released next year.
on 2 February 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves the 1800s and who likes works such as Frankenstein or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. A brilliant book that has a unique outlook on the mystery and secrecy behind the 1800s social propriety and landscape (that might sound boring but it isn't). This book is an amazing fictitious piece that delves deep into the twisted mind of an eccentric and begins my personal favourite book series (totally addictive)... You will not want to put the book down... (Generally aimed at teenagers interested in the gothic, paranormal, abnormal and those with super abilities)
on 31 January 2013
If this was written by an adult, I'm sorely disappointed. It's barely even grammatical in places, and the language is absolutely basic. I really wanted to like this book, and the story has its moments, but I can't get past the writing style! I'm glad I picked this up first; I'd be thoroughly annoyed if I'd paid any more for a book this poorly written. It really does read like the writing of a young teen.
on 12 January 2013
An interesting storyline, engaging enough to make me want to embrace the Steampunk Chronicles. A nice strong heroine with a bad attitude - what's not to love?
on 25 November 2014
yes i like it, i shall probabley read the series.
on 22 October 2014