on 30 July 2013
This does not work weather its been charged from the mains or sun. Don't waste your money. Spend twice as much and get something that actually works.
on 19 September 2012
I tried this on a sunny August day. It does start charging the phone but if you leave the two connected it then seems to take the charge from the phone. So I then left it unconnected in the sun for about 5 hrs to see if it stored power itself to later charge phone. It charged the phone for about 10 minutes before phone started beeping as power was going back to the charger. It does work as a backup charger if charged by usb and that works well but not good as solar charger.
on 3 August 2014
This is a great product and so easy to use! I've used it on the bus and underground it's so portable, it's smaller than my phone and works very well. I love this Eco device. Recommended.
on 27 April 2013
charged this to full a few times and only increased my iphone battery charge by 4 to 10 %...

which is not good enough...

it wont charge from solar if you havent pre charged it thats why i say purchase the variety you charge by plug and can take with you as a source of electricity...because thats what youll end up doing with this anyway
on 6 August 2013
I was looking for a charger for camping, so I typed in iPhone 5 charger and this one popped up so it's under the wrong listing already. However I gave it to my friends to use for their iPhone 4's and other phones and it didn't matter how much we tried to charge it. It still wouldn't work. A waste of money. I am really disappointed with the product.
on 23 June 2013
Dont buy this. The product will only work if you face it south on a very clear and very sunny day and at 45° to to ground. This is not stipulated by the seller anywhere. Waste of money and my time. What a rip off.
on 6 November 2012
I was very surprised when I first unpackaged this item. It looks almost too small and feels almost too light to actually contain a 1100mAh battery but it certainly does.
I've noticed a couple bad reviews for this product but I believe the reviewers don't really understand what this type of product is all about.

It is NOT a solar panel designed to charge a mobile phone by sunlight - if you try to use it as such you will be very disappointed and will probably ruin the battery.

Think of the PowerBee Compact as a tiny, lightweight, spare rechargeable battery that you can use to perform emergency CPR on a dead mobile phone, sat navs, gaming consoles.
Think of it as a rechargeable battery that can be charged by a variety of means, be that via computer, wall plug or solar energy.
If you use it like you would any other rechargeable battery then you would ensure it is fully charged and kept handy for those time when you might need it most.

You can fully charge the device and then use it's solar panel to keep it topped up when you remember too. It is so compact and lightweight that it will fit into the coin holder of most ladies purses - it is approx the size of the old iPOD nano.
At the rated capacity it probably wouldn't fully charge most smartphones (I have an old nokia 5800 and that works nicely) - but that's not the idea, it's an emergency device that will probably give a nearly full charge to most phones.
Give one to a teen daughter? - make sure she i never without a way to call in an emergency, take a fully charged one out on your day trip? This device is so compact and flexible that I fail to see why you wouldn't want one - especially as most mobile smartphones only have a day of charge from their internal battery anyway!
on 24 September 2013
Poor performance. The signal does not turn green even after the device has been lying under the sun on a clear day.
on 3 August 2013
I received my charger on Thursday (it's now Saturday) and since then have had the 'solar' charger sitting each day in the sun without being able to obtain a full charge. The charger has a small led which is red when charging and green when charged. The only way I managed to go green was through my laptop, which defeats the whole purpose of having a solar powered charger. However, when showing green it failed to charge my phone for more than about two minutes! I would advise avoiding buying this product.
on 15 October 2013
I don't know what this item is designed to charge, but it's a complete waste of money. You'd be waiting forever if you try and charge a mobile phone. Even a basic mobile wouldn't be charged by this item. Take my advice, avoid it. Spend a little more and buy something decent