5.0 out of 5 stars Great value read
A great, light-hearted, fun read. If you enjoy Agatha Christie, Midsommer Murders and others of that ilk, then these could well be for you.
Not the most demanding of literature, but good characters, evocative descriptions and well-crafted whodunnit plots.
Published on 14 Jun 2012 by Jean Mac

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Hamish
Published 15 months ago by Mrs CFC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value read, 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
I can't really afford to buy them individually, as I read them too fast, but this set is great value and I will be waiting avidly for further collections of this enjoyable series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light reading at its interesting best, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
Oh I loved these books! Light,easy & enjoyable. One thing Beaton does superbly is craft characters - from lovely ones like Hamish (who'd quite want to sit down to a wee dram with) to the requisite unbelievably annoying victim, that you would quite happily murder yourself! Add to that suitable dashes of humour and some joyous scenic description, plus neat little twists of plot and you have (or at least I do) everything you need for a satisfying reading experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hamish Macbeth, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
Four humourous and warm stories about this lonesome PC in a Highlands backwater. The tales are written to a well tested recipe, at times a bit "same-y" but I was reluctant to put the book down once I had started to read it. I'm hooked on this series and I've read a few paperbacks in the series since. Overall, very entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 22 Sep 2012
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
This is a great introduction to the Hamish Macbeth series. I thoroughly enjoyed this omnibus and was totally addicted to this series. I ended up buying them all.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is lovely. Or not, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
This review applies only to 'Death of a Gossip', the first book in this volume.

I only dimly remember the name Hamish Macbeth from TV listings in the 90s, and I came to this with no preconceptions. I was happy to find myself reading the equivalent of a perfect Sunday night TV murder mystery: cosy, comfortable, traditional, just right!

This is an affectionate, if somewhat tongue-in-cheek homage to Agatha: the closed shop of suspects, all colourful characters, and all with secrets they're desperate to keep secret.

It's the sort of yarn in which, when someone says 'I'll kill her!' it later makes them a suspect. You get the idea.

But Agatha was more sinister, and Ruth Dudley Edwards is funnier. Iain Pears is cleverer.

I probably will read the rest of this omnibus edition, but I'll need to wait until I'm in a very particular sort of mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars hamish macbeth, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
It is a delight to be able to continue reading the hamish macbeth series , i had a set for last christmas of 10 books and have been unable to find any more until i had my Kindle fire for my birthday and they were my first purchase. The books tell the story of a village bobbie who gets involved and solves muders , its serious, funny and a captive story to foolow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miss Marple's Scottish Nephew?, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
I read these one after the other, which allowed me to watch the relationship between Hamish and Priscilla . These are clever insights into the life of a small community, in the same vein as Agatha Christie develops her mysteries. I enjoyed each one, and developed a concern for the seemingly simple constable who has no interest in promotion. A good comfortable holiday read.

4.0 out of 5 stars In love with Hamish Macbeth, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
Bought this for my Kindle as I thought it was a very good introductory price. Am only just finishing the first book but am really enjoying it and think I will get some more. Would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Hamish, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
I have to say that the very first book of the series - Death of a Gossip - is pretty bad. It is set in the 1980's and every character is a cringeworthy stereotype of the time. Things do improve as the series continues although all the books follow much the same format: someone unpleasant is murdered, the crack team of inspectors are called in but fail to solve the crime, Hamish lusts after Priscilla the posh girl, Hamish solves the crime, the murderer is generally as unliked as their victim. The End.
I like M C Beaton, but for me Agatha Raisin is a better, grittier, more realistic character than Hamish who is just a bit too wet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamish Macbeth, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hamish Macbeth Omnibus (Books 1-4) (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed these books,gentle little stories nice to read something that doesn't contain any swearing!would recommend these as a good read