Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 14 June 2012
A great, light-hearted, fun read. If you enjoy Agatha Christie, Midsommer Murders and others of that ilk, then these could well be for you.
Not the most demanding of literature, but good characters, evocative descriptions and well-crafted whodunnit plots.
I can't really afford to buy them individually, as I read them too fast, but this set is great value and I will be waiting avidly for further collections of this enjoyable series.
on 11 November 2012
Oh I loved these books! Light,easy & enjoyable. One thing Beaton does superbly is craft characters - from lovely ones like Hamish (who'd quite want to sit down to a wee dram with) to the requisite unbelievably annoying victim, that you would quite happily murder yourself! Add to that suitable dashes of humour and some joyous scenic description, plus neat little twists of plot and you have (or at least I do) everything you need for a satisfying reading experience.
on 8 November 2012
Four humourous and warm stories about this lonesome PC in a Highlands backwater. The tales are written to a well tested recipe, at times a bit "same-y" but I was reluctant to put the book down once I had started to read it. I'm hooked on this series and I've read a few paperbacks in the series since. Overall, very entertaining.
on 17 January 2013
This review applies only to 'Death of a Gossip', the first book in this volume.

I only dimly remember the name Hamish Macbeth from TV listings in the 90s, and I came to this with no preconceptions. I was happy to find myself reading the equivalent of a perfect Sunday night TV murder mystery: cosy, comfortable, traditional, just right!

This is an affectionate, if somewhat tongue-in-cheek homage to Agatha: the closed shop of suspects, all colourful characters, and all with secrets they're desperate to keep secret.

It's the sort of yarn in which, when someone says 'I'll kill her!' it later makes them a suspect. You get the idea.

But Agatha was more sinister, and Ruth Dudley Edwards is funnier. Iain Pears is cleverer.

I probably will read the rest of this omnibus edition, but I'll need to wait until I'm in a very particular sort of mood.
on 22 September 2012
This is a great introduction to the Hamish Macbeth series. I thoroughly enjoyed this omnibus and was totally addicted to this series. I ended up buying them all.
on 22 November 2012
It is a delight to be able to continue reading the hamish macbeth series , i had a set for last christmas of 10 books and have been unable to find any more until i had my Kindle fire for my birthday and they were my first purchase. The books tell the story of a village bobbie who gets involved and solves muders , its serious, funny and a captive story to foolow.
on 5 April 2013
I have to say that the very first book of the series - Death of a Gossip - is pretty bad. It is set in the 1980's and every character is a cringeworthy stereotype of the time. Things do improve as the series continues although all the books follow much the same format: someone unpleasant is murdered, the crack team of inspectors are called in but fail to solve the crime, Hamish lusts after Priscilla the posh girl, Hamish solves the crime, the murderer is generally as unliked as their victim. The End.
I like M C Beaton, but for me Agatha Raisin is a better, grittier, more realistic character than Hamish who is just a bit too wet.
on 22 February 2015
If you are looking for a book (or two!) to sit down to relax with and enjoy the experience of living in a small village community where everyone knows every thing about every one else; if you yearn for time to reflect on how things used to be, then start here. It gets better than that, the stories and characters grow with each book. You gain insight into the interaction of people working together or not, as the case may be,particularly in the instance of Hamish's colleagues. Then a glimpse at the character weaknesses of the other people who drift in and out of the various plots that have been created.
It is enjoyable reading and you are propelled along by the curiosity of wondering what is in the next chapter/book. Rest assured that Hamish manages to glide along using his inate people skills ( some might describe it as plain and simple animal cunning). By his astute analysis and some times with the help of his friends, the suspects are brought to account for their transgressions. You'll have to read the books to find out if he manages to steer clear of trouble though - there's plenty of it about.
I enjoyed these books and I am certain that the long list of Hamish Macbeth adventures will form part of my reading list for some time to come.
I recommend them to all, young and old alike. They are good yarns and light enough to pick up any time you have the inclination.
It is a bargain for the four books.
on 24 May 2014
Bought this for my Kindle as I thought it was a very good introductory price. Am only just finishing the first book but am really enjoying it and think I will get some more. Would recommend.
on 26 May 2014
I read these one after the other, which allowed me to watch the relationship between Hamish and Priscilla . These are clever insights into the life of a small community, in the same vein as Agatha Christie develops her mysteries. I enjoyed each one, and developed a concern for the seemingly simple constable who has no interest in promotion. A good comfortable holiday read.