5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album!
I tend to buy only 2-3 albums a year and I am so glad I decided to buy 'Heaven' on the strength of listening to clips of each of the 13 songs. This album is quite simply breath-taking. There isn't a weak song in it. I would pay the album price for 'The Love You Love' and 'Heaven' alone. The instrumental work is the best I've heard in many a year - and I'm 61 years old...
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by mrmac

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone
`You and me' is one of my favourite albums ever, and was a great recovery from `A hundred miles off'. `Lisbon' was another great album and so I had so much expectation for `Heaven' and really hoped it would be another classic. The reality is that this release was a huge disappointment, and I'm really struggling to understand why it has been received so well. I have given...
Published 14 months ago by AMC

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Of A Disappointment, 29 Aug 2012
Keith M - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
When you are trying to follow two albums of the quality of 2008's You And Me and 2010's Lisbon, it should perhaps come as not too much of a surprise that the latest album from The Walkmen, 2012's Heaven is something of a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, Heaven has many things going for it, with some nice guitar hooks from Paul Maroon and another display of superlative (albeit rather mellower) vocals from Hamilton Leithauser, but, for me, the inspirational (and dynamic) songwriting that spawned the likes of Juveniles, Four Provinces, Angela Surf City and I Lost You from the previous two albums is simply lacking here.

Having said this, the album gets off to a superb start with the acoustic-based We Can't Be Beat, featuring a truly mesmerising vocal from Leithauser, with a nice harmony vocal backing before the song morphs (courtesy of Maroon's guitar riffs) into a soaring vocal conclusion. Maroon is also outstanding on The Witch, one of the album's less conventional songs with a sound harking back to earlier recordings. Even on what are some of the album's highpoints, featuring great guitar and beginning to use Matt Barrick as the great drummer that he undoubtedly is, songs like Heartbreaker, Nightingales and The Love You Love (with its superb chorus) the band seem to stop short of transforming the songs from their embryonic shoots into fully fledged classics (I'm sure there's a mixed metaphor there somewhere), and I can't help feeling there's rather too much 'stadium-like' chanting here for comfort. I will admit though that both Song For Leigh and album's title track do feature heavenly harmonious vocals, albeit delivering rather saccharine-heavy lyrics.

I did wonder whether perhaps the album's cover hints at the reasons for the band's more retiring and restrained sound here. Whilst the sight of the band's young offspring makes pleasant viewing, does this mean they've already reached their slippers and Ovaltine phase? I do hope not. At least, my 15 or so listens to the album thus far have not convinced me that Heaven stands up well to the band's earlier efforts. Let's just hope the next 15 serve to do this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 2 July 2012
A. Greenwood "Music Mad" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
Checked these lads out after Guy Garvey's recommendation, & was not disappointed! Touch of Johnny Marr of Smiths fame in the guitar playing & catchy tunes that grow & grow on each listen. Perfectly formed pop rock at least as good if not slightly better than The Shins! High praise indeed! Hard to pick out fave tracks as no weak ones - just love it more & more each time I hear it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Walkmen on top form as usual., 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
let's face it, when we all first hear the Walkmen's records back in the day we were enchanted. But who else woke up one day, ten years on, and realised that Walkmen had quietly become their favourite band of the decade without them even realising it? I love how they just carved up a little' space for themselves away from all the indie bonanza and kept polishing their own thing until it became this. Simply put.....This album is stunning. The Walkmen can do no wrong in my eyes.

Heaven
Heaven by The Walkmen (Audio CD - 2012)