5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album!
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by mrmac

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone
Published 15 months ago by AMC

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album!, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I tend to buy only 2-3 albums a year and I am so glad I decided to buy 'Heaven' on the strength of listening to clips of each of the 13 songs. This album is quite simply breath-taking. There isn't a weak song in it. I would pay the album price for 'The Love You Love' and 'Heaven' alone. The instrumental work is the best I've heard in many a year - and I'm 61 years old! The songs reverberate in your head long after you've listened to them. It's such a pity that the band is much less known in the UK than in their homeland, the USA. This album will appeal to a wide age range. I am now a fan of The Walkmen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush!, 11 Jun 2012
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
The Walkmen have carved a distinct and unique identity by now and whilst being oft compared to The National and Arcade Fire I believe that rather like the devil they probably have the best songs. Whilst the jangling and buzzing guitars and exultant choruses are in place as usual, the consistent highlight of this album is the by turns beautiful and powerful singing of vocalist Hamilton Leithauser, the best example of which is probably on Love is Luck. This album is one of those rare beasts that make an immediate impact yet also repays repeated listens. Potential album of the year material in fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and wondrous thing, 8 July 2013
Buffalohump (Heart of Darkness) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is the first album by this band I have owned. I feel somewhat ashamed that they have been making music around a decade and I have only just now discovered them. I thought I was smart about picking up on hot new bands before anyone else. Clearly I'm not as smart as I thought I was. The other thing that puzzles me is WHY I haven't heard about them before... for god's sake, in a normal world the Walkmen would be huge.

By rights, this record should be huge. Its got hooks, tunes, foot tapping anthems, cunning arrangements, superb musicianship, sad and beautiful songs - the works! However, another part of me is glad that they remain a best-kept secret. Glad for ME that I can slip this treasure into my CD player and feel like its MINE, ALL mine, my preciousssss.... let the rest of the fools continue to marvel over their million selling dogturds, WE the smart and savvy tastemakers, have The Walkmen, and by god, that is the way it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Best Yet, 2 Nov 2012
King Eric (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I am a relative newcomer to the Walkmen only started listening to them recently but of the albums i owe of theirs this is by far the best and a real progression from lisbon which is also a great album in its own rights. The highlights for me are We Cant be beat, Heaven, Heartbreaker and Love is luck. I saw them at the Ritz in Manchester on 30/10/12 and it has got to be one of the best concerts i have seen in years, the band played and look sharp. I hope they start to get the wider recognition they really deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walkmen are brilliant, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Heaven (MP3 Download)
The Walkmen were support for The Vaccines at the O2 recently .I had not heard them before and thought they were exceptional.Downloaded this album as soon as i got home.Will be downloading the previous albums too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
`You and me' is one of my favourite albums ever, and was a great recovery from `A hundred miles off'. `Lisbon' was another great album and so I had so much expectation for `Heaven' and really hoped it would be another classic. The reality is that this release was a huge disappointment, and I'm really struggling to understand why it has been received so well. I have given this album many plays in the hope it would be a grower but it hasn't and the more I listen to it the more convinced I am that it's a massive step-back for the band.

There are several tracks on here that are incredibly underwhelming, but this album is best summed up by the last two tracks that are so lightweight and underwhelming that its hard to comprehend what the Walkmen were trying to achieve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every track a winner, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I love the Walkmen and their sound.The previous albums I've bought have contained a handful of really outstanding tracks mingled with ones I'm not as keen on.
For me, Heaven is the most consistent album the Walkmen have made so far: every track is a winner on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Heavenly album, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
This is modern day folk, Americana and indie at its best. Beautifully crafted songs with exquisite lyrics. A couple of weaker songs just hold it back from a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars All growed up, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
Thought it was maybe too polished at first but they have matured like a fine wine instead of buckfast (bows and arrows). Then again i am old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 31 Oct 2012
Paul Blaney "blazctid" (Herts UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I've had this for quite few months now and feel that I have to share how brilliant this album is.

From start to finish, the album rewards the listener with each and every track. Great lyrics, vocal delivery, superb guitar riffs and timing hooks. I can't state enough how much this music has wormed its into my head.

"We Can't Be Beat" starts the album off in great effect, slow burner that morphs into a singalong ending, with those guitar timing hooks dragging you in with rythymical majesty.
"Love Is Luck" and "Heartbreaker" feature some genius guitar work and fantastic chorus'
"The Witch", "Southern Heart" and "Line by Line" follow with a slightly more mellow note but the tunework is mesmerising. It really draws you into the songs.

The second half of the album kicks off with "Song For Leigh" where Hamilton delivers a great vocal "If you follow me where I'm going, it might take some time but you never know.......I sing myself sick, sing myself sick about you!" A fantastic song, a real singalong. "Nightingales" swiftly follows in similar fashion, not quite a singalong, more of a whoa-whoa-along, if there is such a thing.

A brief slow interlude introduces the best two tracks of the album "The Love you Love" and "Heaven".
"Love you Love" has Hamilton delivering cutting lyrics over a super-catchy guitar fueled tune. "Heaven" couldn't be more aptly titled, a brilliant guitar riff floats over a simple beat but the lyrics are magnificent - "Stick with me, you're my best friend. All of my life, you always been. Remember, remember! All we fight for!" I love this song.
The album ends with two slower numbers but provide a fitting conclusion to a true masterpiece of an album. It has been crafted to be listened start to finish, how all the best albums should be written. Not just front loaded. This is fully loaded.

This will be in my top ten when I die, without any doubt.

Curious? Just buy it. Immerse yourself in it's majesty.

I read somewhere that Hamilton said that the band felt the need to deliver something to the fans, give something back.
Thanks for this gift. It was great seeing you guys last night in Manchester.

Heaven
Heaven by The Walkmen (Audio CD - 2012)