5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D3200, Nikon's best value camera yet.
I've used Nikon cameras since the Nikon F back in the 60s. I used Nikon cameras as a professional photographer right up to the F4S when I retired. I sold all my film stuff and bought a D70 and soon changed to a D90 which I used up to yesterday.

Then the D3200 arrived and, for the price, it is awesome. You can cut a small piece out of the centre of a photo...
Published on 4 Aug 2012 by Mr. Robert W. Rosamond

3.0 out of 5 stars Back focus issue requires Nikon re-calibration.
Written: 04-06-2014

I bought this camera back in September 2013 and initially was impressed by the apparent quality of the images. However when enlarged in a picture editor the results were consistently soft focus. I thought this might be caused by the supplied stock 18-55mm lens inability to resolve the full detail of the 24.2MP sensor.

I compared...
Published 11 months ago by ZeroZero

‹ Previous | 1 2 337 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific"Low Light" capability., 21 Jun 2013
B. LYTHGOE (Todmorden,West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I had the Nikon D80 so the three lenses I used would fit this Camera. I went on a coach holiday that included visits to Winchester Cathedral and the Mary Rose in Portsmouth. The reason I picked out these two places is that they are both "Low Light" venues and I am so pleased with the photos I got without the use of flash. In fact the results are so much better because in the Cathedrals case no single flash unit could illuminate the length of Britains longest Cathedral, but the camera coped very well with the available light to show details from floor to ceiling along the full length. In the case of the Mary Rose the whole exhibit is" low light" but even without a tripod I obtained some great shots of both the ship (with spoiling drying pipes still in place) and some of the artifacts such as Canons,tools, and the skeleton of the Ships dog.Well pleased with this Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed at first, 6 Jun 2013
I was disappointed at first withthe D3200. All the photos seemed just a touch off focus. Amazon were brilliant. They gave me the option of return for refund or replacement or I could even send it to Nikon for calibration and return it to amazon if I wasnt happy after that.

I chose to send to Nikon for calibration as I though I had noting to lose. Parcel went out free on parcelforce 48 hr service. Camera was booked in, recalibrated and sent ny 24 hour courier all in 1 day. Total turn around 7 days including a weekend and a bank holiday.

Camera cam back perfect. Focus razor sharp now. If anyone buys one and isnt happy Id recommed sending to Nikon (Kingston) centre for recalibration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good!, 12 July 2012
Gary Parker (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit - Black (24.2MP) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
This is an odd camera. It has what is quite possibly the world's best DX sensor, yet it is a "low end of the range" camera. Not only is the resolution far higher than its predecessor the D3100, the dynamic range is wider, and the low light level performance slightly better. Observers thought it was impossible to achieve all those improvements (most "experts" were sure higher resolution meant worse low light performance), yet here it is. Notice the respected DxO labs have placed the D3200 in their top ten highest quality camera list of all time (all the other top ten cameras cost thousand of Pounds, even tens of thousands of Pounds!) You can't get better independent proof of this little camera's picture quality than that.

So is the D3200 a low end camera or a high end camera? I feel it is a high end camera - it offers higher picture quality and more advanced features than the world's most expensive film cameras ever did. Most of the world's greatest photographs were taken on far cruder cameras than this.

Yet realistically, most buyers will never need so much quality. With the affordable DX lenses that buyers use with this camera, the results are somewhat lens limited and often not easy to tell apart from the D3100 at the print sizes most people use. (I have both the D3100 and D3200 and have compared "real world" results carefully). The D3100 is much cheaper at the moment and so it represents better value for money. Yet, if you want something extraordinary, the D3200 is it. Definitely a game changer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little camera if a little pricey, 11 Sep 2012
My reason for buying this camera is perhaps a little different to most of the people that will be buying it. I am a professional photographer and live in rather dangerous parts of the world from time to time (currently in Libya) so I need a camera that delivers both quality but isn't too visible and is disposable enough for me to hand over if asked at gun point. It happens!

I looked long and hard at two other alternatives, one being the Canon Powershot G1x and the other being the Sony NEX-7. Out of the three the Sony is without question the one to have if you are looking for amazing image quality in a small package and the Canon, whilst being a lovely piece of kit just required too many performance compromises from my side, so the Nikon was the obvious choice for me. So why didn't I go for the Sony? Well it is just too expensive. The body is around 1,000 plus lenses and that is beyond my budget for a back-up. The Nikon suits me as I am well invested in Nikon pro equipment and I have plenty of old lenses I can put on the front.

So what about the camera? Well as I have already alluded to I use it as a back up to my pro Nikon kit but it would be unfair to compare it to equipment costing 5/6 times as much although the comparisons are there to be made. I have shot several projects with this camera and I really like it. There are of course elements from my pro kit that I miss but overall the camera performs really well, especially in low light and the most important thing for me is that the image quality is pretty good whatever the situation. I have had photographs from this camera used by a lot of press agencies and never have I had a negative comment in respect to image quality. I do get the occasional strange look from my fellow journo photographers when they compare their large cameras to my little Nikon but this often works in my favour as I make easier progress through check points and security inspections as this camera doesn't stand out as `journalist' equipment. With an old DX 18-200mm VR lens on the front this camera is good to go and I am happy with the results although the images are a little soft when compared to my D800 or D3x, but this it isn't anything that the computer can't deal with in post-processing. If you are familiar with Nikon kit then you won't have to look twice before you are using it like you have had it all your life.

The video function suffers from the same issues that the D800 & D4 do, namely that it relies on contrast detection which means the camera will focus hunt, especially when panning so a more planned approach requiring manual focus is normally required. The output quality is fine though for this level of camera. If you are after a camera with lots of extra functions and special effects then there are probably better options out there for you, however if you are after a robust, simple to use, quality camera then look no further. It's a cracking little photographic tool. In many ways it reminds me of my first Nikon which was a Nikon FM2. I have had that one for over 30 years now, so I can really can't say any more than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Amazon buy !, 10 July 2012
I. M. Bolton "Madame Ivy" (West Mids. UK) - See all my reviews
As a Nikon F and Nikon F6 user of many years, I endorse all the positive things that the other reviewers have said about the D3200.
By all means, pay the 2800 for the D800 or 1800 for the D700, but you won't get a more technically advanced processor and sensor than on the D3200. So unless you need to use the camera as a professional - huindreds of shots a day and heavy manual use in hard working situations - spend less on this camera! All electronic products are poor investments anyway! Some years ago I paid 1400 for a new Nikon F4 body. Six months alter, the same technical spec. came out in the F300 - 400 series, but in less 'durable' bodies for 300 ! Learn the lesson the easy way!
NOTE : THIS CAMERA CAN BE PURCHASED THROUGH AMAZON De. FOR 460 ! Post & packing are 5, delivery is 3 - 4 days. That's where I got mine. The camera has the same Nikon Eu guarrantee as if it had been purchased in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic entry level DSLR, 28 Jun 2013
I have personally been using this camera for about 6 months and has been with me at several weddings already. As an entry level DSLR it has all the features you may expect from a camera at this level with the possible exception of an automatic HDR function (although this can still be done manually). When researching what to buy I was first torn between Canon and Nikon, a lot of the information about both brands tends to be biased towards the leanings of the particular reviewer (both brands having a very loyal following). But overall Nikon seemed to win the edge due to the availability of slightly cheaper extra lenses when compared to Canon's offerings.

The choice of entry level cameras between Nikon and Canon at this price range would likely lead you to the same show down between the Canon 650D and the D3200. The D650 does win out in several areas such as:

Rotatable Touchscreen
a built in auto focus motor (rather than Nikons being in the lenses)
slightly faster shooting rate (5fps vs 4fps)
more cross type focus points

Where as the Nikon would win in several other areas such as:

Better image quality (both higher resolution and colour depth)
More lenses available
More standard focus points
Lighter and Smaller (my dad has the 650D and it is a significantly larger camera needing a more robust, and therefore expensive, tripod to keep it held steady)
And cheaper!

There are is a lot of information about both brands/products all over the web and many books directed specifically at getting the most out of both specific cameras. I have had some fantastic results straight away and have had some fun playing with things like light painting (keeping the shutter open and using torches etc to highlight areas of the image). The standard battery will easily last 500 photos so 1 battery should be enough for most peoples days shooting (depending how much you review using the rear screen of course).

If you were to purchase this fantastic camera I would also recommend at least these extras to keep your camera safe and help get most from it:

A tripod
Extra battery (just in case you're trigger happy)
A good carry case
A wireless remote control

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good bit of Kit, 23 May 2012
The D3200 is an upgrade form a D70 So is much inproved in Features and Spec, The camera itsef it very light when equiped with the 18-55mm Lenes supplied I got some reary Sharp macro shots with this. It works well in Auto mode, but is easy to Override any of the settings that you want to gain creative Photos. (I only thend to use Raw Data, for most work, They will be very large files so a large hardrive will be needed for storeage.)

The Movie Feature is also good it will use a lot of Memory so have plenty on standby. It is easy to move from stills to movie mode, one of the feautres I was after so I don't have to take two types of camera out.

The only Issue is that some of the older lenes will ony work in manual focus. The Auto focus system on the D3200 is controlled by the lenes so will need to have a Motor drive in the lenes this can be identifed by af/m switch on the lenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fab camera & now total vfm (value for money) !!, 3 Jun 2014
I bought this camera after reading several internet reviews (especially the review from Ken Rockwell - who I can not rate highly enough). I discovered that the D3200 is perfect for the novice, and apparently it is also the "go to" camera of choice for many professionals too!

Now that the D3200 has been superceded by the new Nikon D3300 since 2014, it has become a total bargain DSLR. The funny thing is, the specifications for the D3200 and D3300 are almost identical! I found I couldn't justify the extra cost of the D3300, so i plumped for the D3200 instead.

But whether you opt for the D3200 of D3300, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem of a Camera for shooting video's!, 10 Mar 2014
Arrived on time and very well packaged and reasonably priced.
I was looking for a really good DSLR camera mainly to film music videos. I already have a Sony camcorder which has done the job okey, but I needed something a bit more professional and quality,and hands-on manual settings for filming different scenes. I was aware that it took great photo's but not sure about its video capabilities. So I made a lot of research on Amazon with reviews and tests on Youtube, and the Nikon D3200 ticked all the boxes for me, but still a little apprehensive.
I needed a video scene for a sunrise. So at 6.30am, I went to the seaside location in the freezing cold, set my camera and tripod on the promenade configured the camera settings put on a UV filter pointed it at the horizon and waited. The sun emerged on the horizon through some clouds and reflected on the high tide, pressed record and hoped for the best!
The results on play back was astounding, in fact amazing, in full HD. My timing was spot-on, getting the sunrise with the high tide,but I needn't have been apprehensive about this camera all at.
Ive also taken some photos with it as well and they are excellent! Five stars for this little gem of a camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight forward to use and excellent quality lens, 27 Feb 2014
Not at all difficult to use and gives exceptional results.
Haven't found a dislike yet.
Would recommend it to anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 337 | Next ›