5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D3200, Nikon's best value camera yet.
I've used Nikon cameras since the Nikon F back in the 60s. I used Nikon cameras as a professional photographer right up to the F4S when I retired. I sold all my film stuff and bought a D70 and soon changed to a D90 which I used up to yesterday.

Published 23 months ago by Mr. Robert W. Rosamond

3.0 out of 5 stars D3200
Got this for my son, he loves it, said the pictures are great, took his time reading through the instruction so that he had a better understanding of all the different things the camera could do. Good price and was delivered on time.
Published 1 month ago by David Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D3200, Nikon's best value camera yet., 4 Aug 2012
Mr. Robert W. Rosamond (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Then the D3200 arrived and, for the price, it is awesome. You can cut a small piece out of the centre of a photo and enlarge it and it looks like full frame. That is where this camera comes into its own. With its 24 Megapixel CMOS sensor it leaves everything except the D800 (2900.00) way behind.

I've heard it said that anything over 12 Megapixels doesn't really matter. Well this camera gives the lie to the statement. It makes a hell of a difference.

It also takes superb 1080p videos and will auto focus while doing so, something the the D90 wouldn't do. Another improvement on the D90 is the fact that it has infra red remote release windows on the back as well as the front. I thought it was a bit silly for the D90 to only have one on the front which is where you are least likely to use it.

A word of warning though. If you already have a Nikon digital camera, then you probably have the Nikon View NX2 software. This camera comes with the latest View NX2 software but do not overwrite the old software. I did and then found that I couldn't open the RAW (NEF) files from the D3200. The way to do it is to uninstall the old software before you install the new. Then it works perfectly.

If you purchase this camera get yourself a big SDHD card as the file sizes are huge. Shooting in RAW (which I always do) you'll get 259 exposures on an 8 Gig card. So my next purchase will be a 32 Gig card. Amazon do a Sandisc Ultra 32 Gig card at 17.77; a very good price.

It's a pity there are only five stars as I would like to have given this camera 10.

I've now used this camera for a few weeks and it is amazing. Having read some of the bad reviews, I've come to the conclusion that the reviewers don't have the camera. I did a series of test shots today from ISO100 to ISDO12800 and the results were staggering. You can see the shots here: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars FIRST CLASS CAMERA, 27 Sep 2012
Sue (C.I.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit - Black (24.2MP) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I normally use a Canon 5D mark II but since using the Nikon 3200 with kit lens it is the one I am carrying around more and more. Much lighter to carry yet quality build. Great value for 459 from Amazon. It is extremely well thought out with buttons on the outside to easily access ISO, white balance, exposure compensation etc without having to go through time consuming menu systems. I have used the sports mode one of the many scene modes available. One flick of the wheel, I was taking photographs of a cocker spaniel going at full speed after a ball. I didn't expect the camera to cope but it did and I ended up with very sharp images. I also used Shutter Priority and put the camera on continuous shooting and was very impressed with the speed and quality. I often take landscape photographs and maybe they weren't quite as contrasty as my Canon but soon fixed in Photoshop. However I was very impressed with the detail especially from a kit lens. I was able to shoot in Raw and Jpeg and was surprised that an entry level camera like this one even had spot metering. It even has 11 auto focus points in contrast to my 5D mark II which only has 9! As someone who always has wonky horizons, I found that I could straighten up my image having taken the shot in camera and it was extremely easy to do so. I could also trim my shot in camera to crop out any distracting elements and with 24.2 megapixels, I knew my image would still be of very good quality. I liked the playback system especially when I could playback up to 72 images which showed up on the rear screen like a contact sheet. To get the best out of the camera I used SDHC class 10 cards and it is great that this camera takes SD cards because they are so much cheaper than Compact Flash. For a beginner, this camera is very easy use and to help even further there is a mode called 'Guide' and this is a great help to anyone starting out in photography. There is just so much built into this camera and for someone who has been interested in photography for the past 7 years, I can't fault it. The user manual comes as a hard copy and is very easy to understand. One thing I am surprised with is that the rear screen does not swivel but this is a minor point.

This camera is absolutely brilliant and I wish it had been around when I first started photography. I have no hesitation in recommending the Nikon 3200 and anyone buying it will not only be able to produce great images but also have a lot of fun with it and that is what photography is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for a beginner, 29 Mar 2014
This is my first DSLR. I did a small amount of research before purchasing to find a good 'entry level' camera. The D3200 was one which many people said is great for the novice (like me) but is also versatile enough to support the photographer's development through to being competent and perhaps experimental when moving away from the automatic settings.

So far, I have been very impressed with this camera and achieved the kinds of photographs I have been hoping for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but seriously flawed, 27 Jun 2012
Mr. D. Jenner - See all my reviews
I've owned a Canon EOS550D for about two years and couldn't resist buying a D3200 out of intellectual curiosity. Would it really give better results or was the increase in pixels a mere marketing ploy by Nikon designed to bolster sales? Here is my summing up.

The Pros:

* Records noticeably more detail than a 550D, even with kit-zoom.

*Subjectively, colour rendition is better than the 550D for greens and reds.

* Virtually no noise up to ISO400. At ISO800, noise is clearly evident, but still acceptable and fine detail smearing is a lot better than with a 550D.

* Excellent dynamic range (better than 550D) and no noise penalty with 'Active D'.

* Well built and extremely compact, yet controls are easy to operate. With a standard lens, you'd think it was a 'bridge'-camera.

* colour fringing due to chromatic aberration noticeable with V.R. 18-55mm kit-zoom (major problem with I.S. 18-55mm kit-zoom on the 550D).

* 11 A.F. points (550D has 9).

* Will follow-focus in video mode (no A.F. available during video with 550D).

The Cons:

* NO METERING WHATSOEVER, with non-AF, manual Nikkor lenses. You have no indication what the correct exposure should be. Not so with the 550D, which retains metering even with stop-down, manual, non-AF lenses used via an adaptor.

*Auto-focusing not available on the D3200 when used with most Nikkor AF-D lenses; only with the majority of G-type Nikkors. For A.F. to work, the lenses must have a built-in motor. With the 550D, all genuine Canon EOS lenses autofocus and give the full range of metering modes, even those EF lenses manufactured prior to 1990.

* Clumsy menu system and viewfinder info. could be more comprehensive (better on the 550D).

* No depth-of-field preview available (the 550D has this).

* I.S. 18-55mm kit-zoom supplied with the 550D gives sharper results.

* Small viewfinder (as with all DX-format DSLRs).

In summary:

You can not fail to be totally blown away by the quality of the images. For I.Q. this has to be the best value-for-money camera on the market. For those trading up from a 12- megapixel APS-C sensor (or even an 18-megapixel sensor) the difference in quality is substantial. Even with kit zoom 18-55mm V.R., compared to results with a decent prime lens on the Canon, a lot more detail is visible. In short, no contest. I doubt there's a better DX-sensor out there, apart from the Fovean used in the SD1 and nice though it is, the camera is much more expensive and doesn't feature built-in video!

This camera has the potential to make a lot of photographers on a low budget, very, very happy as long as they choose their lenses with care. It represents yet another milestone in the evolution of digital photography to the masses, in terms of I.Q. From a personal perspective, this camera is a godsend enabling me to take action photographs at ISO800 with definition comparable to a slow slide film in years gone by, but with the better depth-of-field that APS-C allows. I just wish Nikon had remained loyal to all those film devotees, with non-AF, non-cpu, lenses. The idea of carrying around a handheld exposure meter,like a Western Euromaster, is just riduculous. On the 550D, you can meter with any lens attached; Nikon really should have designed this to do the same. Brilliant but seriously flawed in my opinion!

Finally, a few words of warning over where not to buy:

Give Simply Electronics a miss; customer service means nothing to them. If you're in any doubt over this, just check them out and read the many tales of woe. Completely untrustworthy from my perspective. Repeated e-mails are largely ignored (or your questions unanswered) and trying to get through by phone is a fruitless exercise, no matter how hard you try (nice little earner?).

Once they've got your money, they intend keeping it and if the item wasn't in stock at the time, then you'll be in for a very long wait. Don't be fooled by their 30-day money back guarantee. On your invoice, it states 14 days and the item must be unused (not entirely clear from their advert). The clock starts ticking from the time your order is placed, not from when the goods are received. Being based in Hong Kong, compliance with E.U. / U.K. trading rules could be difficult to enforce, if you're hoping to use Distance Trading Regulations. If they do agree to a refund, you'll be kept waiting at least a month. In short avoid: go elsewhere to a U.K. based firm you can trust. Beware of Value Basket (they may well be the same organisation). Either way, their reputation is almost as poor.

Give Ebay a miss, because there are too many drawbacks, such as: being sold a poor-quality product, not getting adequate compensation for return postage to China and ending up paying import duties a week after your camera arrives. You may also find that the user's manual is in Japanese, rather than English and that the manufacturer's warranty is invalid.

After 45 days, Ebay wont be held responsible and you can't even leave negative feedback against the scum that sold you duff goods. It's then you versus the integrity of a trader that may be thousands of miles away, whose already let you down (risky)! Sending your camera back for repair using 'signed-for'-mail to China is expensive, but without it you may never see your camera again. Ah but it wont go wrong thinks you. Wrong! Often the items are badly packed and faults may show up a few months later. You'll then see the wisdom of buying from a U.K. trader.

Customer service really is important when spending hundreds on a DSLR. Try using Trust Pilot to guage customer satisfaction. Also,the current Nikon UK cash-back offer (expiring 21st January, 2013) means that grey-imports are no longer worth considering on the grounds of cost saving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 20 April 2013
nomadintent (Nottinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
The image quality, ease of use, light weight and reasonable cost make this incredible value for money. Although promoted as a beginner's camera, and fulfills this role admirably, it also boasts features found on much more expensive models. I would strongly recommend this for anyone interested in "serious" photography, as well as anyone simply wanting to have more creative control than a "point and shoot". Combined with a 18-200mm lens this can do just about anything you need and produce fantastic images. Particularly useful for beginners is the built in tutorial which helps you set things up for the kind of pictures you want whether that is sport, babies, landscapes, wildlife...

5.0 out of 5 stars NIKON D3200 SLR CAMERA, 26 Feb 2014
Suits me down to the ground as they say it dose what it says on the tin JUST LOVE IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 27 Jan 2014
Very happy with the camera! It makes great pictures, it becomes even better when you learn how to use the special modes where you make decisions and adjustments to the settings before taking a snap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific"Low Light" capability., 21 Jun 2013
B. LYTHGOE (Todmorden,West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I had the Nikon D80 so the three lenses I used would fit this Camera. I went on a coach holiday that included visits to Winchester Cathedral and the Mary Rose in Portsmouth. The reason I picked out these two places is that they are both "Low Light" venues and I am so pleased with the photos I got without the use of flash. In fact the results are so much better because in the Cathedrals case no single flash unit could illuminate the length of Britains longest Cathedral, but the camera coped very well with the available light to show details from floor to ceiling along the full length. In the case of the Mary Rose the whole exhibit is" low light" but even without a tripod I obtained some great shots of both the ship (with spoiling drying pipes still in place) and some of the artifacts such as Canons,tools, and the skeleton of the Ships dog.Well pleased with this Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little camera if a little pricey, 11 Sep 2012
My reason for buying this camera is perhaps a little different to most of the people that will be buying it. I am a professional photographer and live in rather dangerous parts of the world from time to time (currently in Libya) so I need a camera that delivers both quality but isn't too visible and is disposable enough for me to hand over if asked at gun point. It happens!

I looked long and hard at two other alternatives, one being the Canon Powershot G1x and the other being the Sony NEX-7. Out of the three the Sony is without question the one to have if you are looking for amazing image quality in a small package and the Canon, whilst being a lovely piece of kit just required too many performance compromises from my side, so the Nikon was the obvious choice for me. So why didn't I go for the Sony? Well it is just too expensive. The body is around 1,000 plus lenses and that is beyond my budget for a back-up. The Nikon suits me as I am well invested in Nikon pro equipment and I have plenty of old lenses I can put on the front.

So what about the camera? Well as I have already alluded to I use it as a back up to my pro Nikon kit but it would be unfair to compare it to equipment costing 5/6 times as much although the comparisons are there to be made. I have shot several projects with this camera and I really like it. There are of course elements from my pro kit that I miss but overall the camera performs really well, especially in low light and the most important thing for me is that the image quality is pretty good whatever the situation. I have had photographs from this camera used by a lot of press agencies and never have I had a negative comment in respect to image quality. I do get the occasional strange look from my fellow journo photographers when they compare their large cameras to my little Nikon but this often works in my favour as I make easier progress through check points and security inspections as this camera doesn't stand out as `journalist' equipment. With an old DX 18-200mm VR lens on the front this camera is good to go and I am happy with the results although the images are a little soft when compared to my D800 or D3x, but this it isn't anything that the computer can't deal with in post-processing. If you are familiar with Nikon kit then you won't have to look twice before you are using it like you have had it all your life.

The video function suffers from the same issues that the D800 & D4 do, namely that it relies on contrast detection which means the camera will focus hunt, especially when panning so a more planned approach requiring manual focus is normally required. The output quality is fine though for this level of camera. If you are after a camera with lots of extra functions and special effects then there are probably better options out there for you, however if you are after a robust, simple to use, quality camera then look no further. It's a cracking little photographic tool. In many ways it reminds me of my first Nikon which was a Nikon FM2. I have had that one for over 30 years now, so I can really can't say any more than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Amazon buy !, 10 July 2012
I. M. Bolton "Madame Ivy" (West Mids. UK) - See all my reviews
As a Nikon F and Nikon F6 user of many years, I endorse all the positive things that the other reviewers have said about the D3200.
By all means, pay the 2800 for the D800 or 1800 for the D700, but you won't get a more technically advanced processor and sensor than on the D3200. So unless you need to use the camera as a professional - huindreds of shots a day and heavy manual use in hard working situations - spend less on this camera! All electronic products are poor investments anyway! Some years ago I paid 1400 for a new Nikon F4 body. Six months alter, the same technical spec. came out in the F300 - 400 series, but in less 'durable' bodies for 300 ! Learn the lesson the easy way!
NOTE : THIS CAMERA CAN BE PURCHASED THROUGH AMAZON De. FOR 460 ! Post & packing are 5, delivery is 3 - 4 days. That's where I got mine. The camera has the same Nikon Eu guarrantee as if it had been purchased in the UK.