4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Galapagos Dreams: A Photo Journey (Kindle Edition)
I am going to The Galapagos next year and downloaded this 'book' out of interest. I was initially disappointed as it is quite short. I would describe it a collection of post cards (what did I expect for 77p?) but was glad I had downloaded it as it gave me ideas for my own photography. Other reviewers comment about not being able to zoom in but I had no problem and could zoom in a long way on my kindle fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ready for a trip to Galapagos, 3 Aug 2012
This review is from: Galapagos Dreams: A Photo Journey (Kindle Edition)
Galapagos Dreams: a photo journey is all you need to get ready to book your trip to this corner of the world as soon as possible. Susanna herself waited a long time until her dream come true. After winning an international online competition in 2010 she took her camera and started the discovery of the famous island. She carefully documented the unique life and fauna of Galapagos. The eye of her camera surprised the particular expression and the unforgettable corners of life from the island: from the tortoise and land iguana, to the people and the amazing lava fields. There are many people amazed by Galapagos and who produced their own works about it, but in this book I discovered the special selection of the photographer and thus, I think it is worth the effort to spend some time in the company of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive set of photos, 4 May 2012
englishheather (Stevenage, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Galapagos Dreams: A Photo Journey (Kindle Edition)
These photos are 'snapshot' size or half this when paired up on a page. Many have the wow factor, are nicely composed and there are a few quite unusual shots.

The WWF says the Galapagos Islands and their surrounding waters are home to nearly 9000 species but a book of this size can only show a fraction of these. Susanna Ivy does so exceedingly well, giving our eyes a treat with a variety of shapes, sizes and settings; the colours nicely contrasting from page to page. There are seals and sea lions, a turtle and tortoises, fish, birds, and other fauna delights plus a number of land and sea scapes with some lovely coloursets.

The 'Sally Lightfoot Crabs' on the rocks and the 'Tortoise crossing' are my favourites. The 'Blue-footed Booby' is an extraordinary sight - as an aside, you can 'adopt' one of these at the American WWF website to support WWF's "conservation efforts".

This is indeed an impressive set of photos.

UPDATE 18 JANUARY 2013

I am adding this note based on new knowledge from a helpful reviewer here. When I viewed this book previously it was on my Kindle for PC. This does not have a magnify facility so although we get the pleasure of colour the photos cannot be enlarged. I purchased a basic e-ink Kindle last October but because of the refreshing on each page turn of books that are not 'all text' books I continued to use the Kindle for PC for these. I didn't realize the Kindle device had a magnifier (it's not in the product description) although I knew about the font enlargement.

Having read the other review, last night I looked at this book on my Kindle (very slowly!) and used the magnifier. This is a bit like using a digital as opposed to an optical zoom so the small photos were a bit blurred but they did indeed enlarge. A huge apology is also due to Susanna Ivy and her publisher regarding the original sizes of the photos. I expect they were chosen to be viewed at their best on a device with a small screen. I have amended the review and removed those parts that only apply to the Kindle for PC. I could have deleted and re-submitted it but the unhelpful vote is well deserved. I have also raised the star rating to five stars (from four) and I hang my head in shame.

Galapagos Dreams: A Photo Journey