on 22 May 2012
Don't be put off by the lurid cover and dodgy title; this is an enjoyable collection of stories on the Cthulhu mythos theme. Pleasingly, it includes some of the best stories by the masters themselves - Lovecraft and Ashton Smith - to provide a reference point for those unfamiliar with the Cthulhu cult. And the modern stories do not disappoint. In this collection we see modern Innsmouth, its inhabitants struggling to understand and deal with their ghastly genetic legacy; the Dunwich Horror, being visited by his brother in the attic; the archaeologist/grave robber who finds an artefact and is destroyed by it. The one criticism I have of this collection is that there are lots of typos - and I would have expected them to be weeded out, especially in stories which surely must have been in print before. But at this price it's a minor cavil; and at this price, for fans of Lovecraft and the worlds he created, it's an absolute steal.
on 6 September 2012
This e-book represents excellent value for money for anyone who enjoys HP Lovecraft or just a good horror yarn.
Weighing in at nearly 1000 pages this book should keep even the most rabid horror fan quiet for sometime at very little cost.
All the heavyweights in the Cthulhu Mythos are represented; Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Henry Kuttner and many more.
It's the perfect book to download and read around the camp fire as those nights draw in.
on 30 January 2013
I had never read any HP Lovecraft before buying this anthology and wasn't really sure what to expect. The first story (by lovecraft) was initially interesting but went on far too long and went into an insane level of detail which I didn't really enjoy. I was left slightly disappointed by the end of this first story. However, this descriptive narrative seems to be a trademark of Lovecraft (a guess from what little I know if his work now) and I would surmise that the other authors' works were chosen because they tend to use the same descriptive style. The detail is what makes these stories for me - I easily visualised the characters, locations and events, and as with all good horror the first person narrative is rarely deviated from. The stories are often clearly inspired, or directly based, on Lovecraft's work and some of them are simply fantastic. It took me a good 60+ hours of reading to get through the whole book, but I would strongly recommend it to any horror fans - virtually every story is really good. Highly recommended!
on 16 August 2014
Excellent collection. Once you've read everything Lovecraft ever wrote, & almost know it by heart, & you still want more !

Using Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos as a starting point, this compilation does exactly what it promises, & delivers a great page-turning collection of Lovecraftian tales which complement the master without slavishly copying him either stylistically or in subject matter.

There were so many highlights, I couldn't possible list all the standouts here, suffice to say, there is enough variety in the many, many, stories here to keep any fan - of Lovecraft in particular, or just of weird & macabre fiction in general - happy for hours !
on 25 March 2015
As a former D&D player, I had heard a lot of Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos, but had not appreciated his impact and inspriation on many of the Fantasy Gaming memes (like inherently evil creatures, planes of existence and extra-dimensional travel) until I read his stories in this collection and the companion stories written both by Lovecraft contempories and modern writers inspired by the mythos. I can't remember the last time I had so much enjoyment from a short story collection. There are lots of flaws in some of the basic ideas underpinning the mythos. Put those aside, enter the realm of modern fantasy with creatures so horrific their presence induces insanity; with out-of-the-world evil and portents of disaster that draw you into the story time after time.

I was hooked a few paragraphs into the first story - Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness". Having never read any Lovecraft before, I decided to read all of his stories first and then go back and read the rest. Others will have different approaches, but I would urge reading all of the stories. I didn't think there were any bad stories in the offering and some are superb.

Megapack is to be congratulated for trying to put together inexpensive collections of different genres for a variety of tastes. I'll certainly be going through their other offerings to see if I can dig out more Lovecraft-inspired stories.
on 1 April 2013
Excellent value. Based on the price, I assumed this would all be rehashed public domain material. I was very pleasantly surprised to find plenty of modern Cthulhu Mythos stories interspersed with classic stories by H. P. Lovecraft and his contempories. Highly recommended.
on 14 July 2014
Ok, so why five stars?

This gets five stars from me for a couple of reasons. First, the price. You can't go wrong. I have never bought into the idea of a Kindle before but my long-suffering wife got me one as a gift when she decided that I would clear out all my old tatty novels if I got one. I may not have yet got rid of all the old books but I have learned how good the Kindle is for storing all the fiction you need for when you are on the go. This Megapack is great value for money on the Kindle.

I have dipped in and out of the collection over the past few weeks and am now down to the last couple of stories. Admittedly, a one or two of the more modern ones are a little weak but this is counterbalanced by the presence of many strong classics from Lovecraft and his contemporaries and a few really good modern stories I never would have read if not for this Megapack.

The pack offers a wide selection of tales from the Cthulhu mythos and is a great introduction to Lovecraft's world. I was inspired by this Megapack to purchase the complete Lovecraft collection to fill the blanks and Eldritch Horror Board Game with its add-on, which is strongly recommended.

All in all a really good experience for such a low price. Not all of the stories may be 5 stars but on balance it is hard to knock any off.
on 5 March 2013
There are stories in here that are 4.99 elsewhere in the store - get this first. Only a few stories are HP Lovecraft - but the others seem to do his style justice - very well.
on 20 April 2012
You can't argue with nearly 1000 pages worth of classic tales from the 1920s to the present for the price of bar of chocolate. Formatting is a bit odd in that the table of contents is at the end, but otherwise fine. Best read one or two stories at a time, when lights are low and all is silent.
on 27 January 2013
For 49p this is worth it just for Ted klein's excellent Poroth Farm which doubles as a reading list of weird writers! Am eagerly looking forward to the rest of the collection but the bars been set high with that one.