5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea - poor execution
Published 24 months ago by v414

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 20 Sept. 2012
M. Bui (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Familiar Stranger: A Paranormal Romance (Knights of Black Swan Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Paranormal books aren't my usual reads. I've read them before, but usually stick to chicklit or historical romances. I got this book on a whim because the blurb sounded interesting and I read the rave reviews. I was not disappointed. I started it one evening and had to force myself to stop reading in order to go to bed. I couldn't wait to get home the next evening to read what had happened next.

I usually skim books. And yes, like Harry, I will quite often read the end when I am halfway through just to make sure the book is worth reading. Not so with this book. I read every minute detail and even re-read. The writing style is so easy to read and descriptive.

Yes, there is a romance element, but the new world that's been created in this story and the depth of characters draw you in. You become invested in them and want to know how things turn out. The storyline too, is interesting. I'm not big on violence even in books, but they added to the story. I just loved it.

Can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 13 Nov. 2012
LA (belfast, northern ireland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is really interesting with very engaging characters and imaginative world-building. I personally haven't read a story that blends warriors and vampires with elves and alternate dimentions! I greatly enjoyed it and it is a bargain at 77p.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Familiar Stranger, 18 May 2013
"The plural of vampire is vampire."

Right then, onto the Paranormal bit first - there is vampire involved but this in no way is the only part of the story. In fact, they are not mentioned much at the beginning and I was a bit confused why I was reading about them when the story didn't seem to involve them. There is a vampire who has regained his human consciousness (think Angel from Buffy) and now is working with the secret Order of the Black Swan to help neutralise the vampire threat.

But this book is so much more than just that. It is a story of a woman, thrown from all she knows and in dire circumstances, to a world similar to ours but in other ways oh so different. It brings you into the story as she tries to figure out where she fits in this new life. The only family she has are the people who found her and trust me, if you're going to be lost then you want to be found by these guys! They are all Alpha males and brilliant. I have been laughing out loud during this book as well as falling in love with them bit by bit myself.

Absolutely brilliant but if you'll excuse me .... I'm off to read The Witch's Dream (Book 2 of the Order of the Black Swan)

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea - poor execution, 22 April 2013
Was excited to find another paranormal author with a few novels available, but then very disappointed. The basic idea of this is interesting - nearly parallel worlds, vampire hunters, etc. However, for me, the negatives outweigh the interesting core idea. I personally really struggled with the poor grammar - changing tenses mid-sentence for example, and not just once - and the clumsy plotting. It was far, far too long and would have benefited from some really serious editing both in terms of length (it could have done to be about half the length) and also plotting (there was so much detail going on it was virtually impossible to work out as a reader what was important and what not). I only made it about a third of the way through before giving up. Over time I'm sure that the author will refine her work, and hopefully the interesting core ideas will be more evident, however I for one will not be reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 16 Jan. 2013
Downloaded this book mainly because it was free and the description looked like something I would enjoy. Never did I imagine just how much I would love it. The characters are so well written that I could see them and feel them. I laughed, cried and got a bit 'hot' on this roller coaster ride of a book. It satisfied in a way I wish every book would and am now off to read book 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mix of Ideas!, 11 Jan. 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It has a great blend of fantasy themes without being too ridiculous or sentimental. Can't wait to read the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars satisfying read, 3 Jan. 2013
I really enjoyed this book, not your average "vampire book" - in fact the vampires were a minor part of the whole story. Loved the characters, especially the kick-ass but humble heroine. Can't wait to read the next one, and hope there will be a whole series.
Well worth a read - especially since it's free:)

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous start to a new series, 30 Nov. 2014
I'm a lover of all things paranormal so this seemed like a good fit.

In summary there is a secret Unit who fight against Vampire in an alternate dimension.n easy fit with the world around us. The dimension is similar to our own to make it an easy read. Our heroine, Elora Laiken, is plunged through a vortex from her own world and catapulted into this world. She should have died..but she didn't. The hospital facility at the unit treated her.

We follow the "B Team" - consisting of Ram, Storm and Kay. Their other teammate died in their last mission, so they have been given some time off. Storm stays to care for Elora. Whilst the others take on other duties. When they return, they are shocked at Elora's recovery and Ram - an Elf, recognises her as his Mate. But can Storm let Ram take over where he has been for the past few months?

Elora is tested and due to the dimensional shift she is stronger, faster and better at combat arts than the majority of the knights...but there's never been a female Knight. Can the rules be broken to giver her a place in the unit? A position on B team is a prize and there are others who feel they deserve the position .

A great read, well written and great characters. I love all the Black Swan boys but Ram has to be my favourite, even if the Irish accent does get a bit comedic at times!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 31 Jan. 2013
Having read all the Anita Blake vampire Hunter books I didn't think I would find anything as good but these books hit the spot. I highly recommend these books to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant take on vampires , loved the parallel worlds, 3 Jan. 2013
I'm always a little hesitant reading a paranormal author not known to me as rarely do the stories grip me like kresley cole, JR Ward, Sherillyn Kenyon etc

But I loved this story and will def. buy the sequels. The parallel worlds made me smile as my husband loves 'fringe' so made me think of him! I loved the Elora was tough and stronger then the knights, I loved the knights ( warrior men always get my attention), the differences between Elora world and the new world made me smile. Fancy not knowing what chocolate is?!

But what got me was the love interests, I started out wanting her to love ? but then realised no ?? would be better. ;) This is a proper length story, none of this 30 page story that you finish in 30 mins.

N.b this is mrs nor mr chapman reviewing the book