on 5 December 2012
I don't think this excellent TV series was ever shown in England during the heyday of the Western series (1950s to early 1960s). I had to wait until the 1980s to discover this gem on Bravo's 'Timewarp Television'. I have worn out the videos I taped and ruined my eyesight from the amateur DVD transfers I purchased. Now thank you TMG for a quality transfer. One gripe 'The Gun That Murdered Lincoln' is worse than the amateur DVD I have, apparently they couldn't trace a decent copy (at least they apologise on screen for that). I feared that that might be a recurring problem throughout, but I'm happy to say that the rest of the episodes are all of good quality, some very good. Excellent value for money.

I leave the premise for the series to other reviewers, the important bit is this series really hit the ground running. From minor characters like 'Jody the pickpocket' and 'Friend Gaoler' to the major roles, all the characters gel together so well. The stories are very entertaining and well structured thanks to the talented writing partnership of Mary Loos and Richard Sale, they certainly crammed a lot into 25 minutes in those days. The bonus however is yet to come, partnered with X Brands as Pahoo, Mahoney used every opportunity to display his acrobatic skills as an ex-stuntman. From the high leaps and the scenery demolishing fights, to the trademark leaping on to a horse from a standing position, all the tricks are on display. Standout episodes, 'The Loot From Richmond' (watch out for the knife throwing skills of Mahoney and Brands) 'V As In Voodoo' (very creepy and atmospheric) 'Dixie' (Christmas tale about Yancy's long lost dog) well, they're all terrific! Much better than 'Have Gun Will Travel' (and I am a fan) sadly this wonderful series only had one season, it should have had at least another couple of series, but Mahoney had that sort of luck.

Now TMG, getcha finger out and let's have the other standout Mahoney series, 'Range Rider' given the same treatment , all 78 episodes please!
on 27 February 2013
Must admit I'd never heard of this series, but was intrigued by the cover shot and description

It's not strictly a western, though Yancey does go out west to a mine he owns a part share in - mostly it's post-civil war New Orleans. Yancey and his sidekick Pahoo (very eloquent character though he never utters a word!) work undercover for the Administrator - cue lots of physically demanding scenes for the 2 principles.

Don't let this series get away into a footnote in tv history - yes here and there the recordings are a little rocky but I've seen worse....and the sheer exuberance of the actors, together with it's offbeat charm, make it a real winner

Highly recommended