5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Device
Purchased this device to replace an old digi-box that couldn't cope with the recent digital changeover. Simplicity itself to install with clear and easy to understand instruction leaflet.
Published on 17 Oct. 2012 by Mr. R. D. Boyton

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made and very unreliable!
I bought this product because I needed a freeview receiver for an old TV and I wish I had not!
Published 12 months ago by Mr R M B Tyrrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Device, 17 Oct. 2012
Mr. R. D. Boyton (North Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEW Freeview Digital TV Receiver Tuner Scart Set Top Box & Recorder ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL TELEVISION CONVERTER 1 YEAR WHATEVER HAPPENS WARRANTY Record & Watch Via USB & SD CARD (Electronics)
All freeview channels downloaded automatically and all are working well with superb picture quality on every channel. A huge bonus is being able to record TV programmes onto any USB device. I have connected a 500Gb external hard drive and found it to be simplicity itself to make recordings that reproduce perfectly. This has to be the bargain of the year, a real quality product at a remarkably low price. What more could one ask - Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can get LCNs! - AND - How to fix interference when recording!!, 12 Dec. 2012
I got the product with an updated remote, and after installing it I realised LCNs (Logical Channel Numbers) were missing. These are the things that put channels on the numbers you expect them - BBC News on 80, BBC Three on 7, 4seven on 47 etc. ITV4 was channel 8, for example.

I found a channel sorting menu, which I thought would allow me to get LCNs as stated in the manual, but the option was missing. I thought they had removed it when they changed the remote. However, when I read to the end of the booklet, I found you can get LCNs like this:
Go to menu>TV>configuration>system setup>LCN>on. Then auto scan for channels again. You should now find channels where you expect them - this should be the default setting I think.

Anyway, apart from that, the device is great. It doesn't freeze like another recorder I had, and lets you record whatever you want and watch it on your computer for a very low price. I'd recommend it, and also reading instruction manuals!

EDIT: I then had another problem. My signal is fine when watching a program, but when I try to record it to USB it breaks up badly and REC PAUSE is displayed. I worked out how to fix it. Simply get a USB extension cable so you can move the USB further away from the device. It seems the USB interferes with the TV signal, so simply move it away and you're fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for my bedroom, 1 Aug. 2013
SANDRA NEWPORT (MELTON MOWBRAY Leicestershire England) - See all my reviews
I ordered this because my old VHS recorder had got a will of it's own. I did have trouble to start with as it wouldn't set up but I contacted DIGITAL-UK LTD and they sent out 2 replacement remotes and the first one I tried set it up, they even told me to keep the spare one with their compliments.

They have been really helpful and answered all my questions in language that anyone could understand, I shall keep this for recording in my bedroom as it's easier to set up.

This company are polite and helpful and the unit is just the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, 21 July 2012
S. Booth (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this to be able to use a non-hd tv and considering the price, I wasn't expecting too much. However, the set up was so quick and simple and the quality is fantastic. I was considering spending considerably more on an expensive set top box so I'm really glad that I gave this a shot first. It just fits into the back of the tv so no ugly looking machines to have to look at either. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who just needs a quick fix for an old tv.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made and very unreliable!, 2 Jun. 2014
Initially the remote control did not work and I discovered that the battery terminals were not making contact due to the badly designed battery compartment which I modified by fiing the excess plastic out of the way, the remote then worked. The unit then worked as a receiver for about a month and then started to become intermittant and eventually failed completely.
The video recording facility initially worked (after I worked out how to use it - the instructions are virtually non existant, a few lines and that is it) but that then started to do strange things like only recording for a few minutes or simply not recording at all.
I have been an electronics engineer all my life and after it had failed completely I was curious to look inside the unit and to be honest I was suprised that the unit had ever worked at all. The quality of construction was appalling, if it had been put together properly with some form of QA applied the unit may have lasted longer.

After saying that I suppose you get what you pay for!

My advice to anyone looking for a product like this is to look around there are other manufacturers producing similar units which although costing about £10 more are far superior, with decent user instructions, good customer support and do what they claim to do - unlike this product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Product Updated?, 13 Aug. 2013
Updated May 2014

Since making a purchase off this listing nearly a year ago, it would seem the listing has now been updated with a newer version of the product I bought. The box colour is different to the one I received as is the illustrated Channel List. As a result I have removed my original review as it may no longer be relevant.

It begs the question as to why the original listing wasn't taken down and a new one put up in its place to ensure that purchasers are not being mislead by reviews for another product?

I would recommend reading "Most Recent Reviews First" to ensure you are getting a true opinion of this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Remote non functional, 30 Sept. 2013
Plugged in, switched on, setup menu came on screen.

Remote control did nothing, despite fresh batteries (light showing on the sensor proves that it was plugged in correctly, though it would be difficult to get that wrong).

Update:

Remote replaced promptly by seller, everything now working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Gem', 31 Aug. 2012
What a little gem! Easy to setup, excellent remote zapper, and with such extensive functionality - will even do timed recording into a USB memory! This little device will do most of the basic function of a PVR costing many times its price.

Really good on-screen displays, but what is so rare is the little user manual - written by somebody who not only understands the technical content but can put it over in good, clear quality English.

The best example of a low-cost digital adaptor I've yet found.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 29 Nov. 2012
Cheap to buy and finds all the freeview video and sound channels. It falls down on unreliabilty with such behaviour as failing to make a complete recording on USB, switching itself on and off for no reason, loosing the radio signal and having a background sound crackle. You only get what you pay for

1.0 out of 5 stars Just like the others, 23 Aug. 2013
Unfortunately, this did not really help. It had a loud buzzing sound and never actually managed to tune into the main channels.