5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative programming.
Lena Dunham is a superbly versatile individual; possessing a palette of talent so vast, you would be forgiven to forget that 'Girls' is only her second real project (after her film 'Tiny Furniture') She creates, writes, produces, directs AND YES, acts in this incredibly addictive HBO production.
'Girls' is realism at its best; it's uncomfortable, stubborn, and...
Published 14 months ago by Stacey Winter

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed.
This series takes some interesting ideas but fails to fully develop them. Deep issues are treated quite flippantly. I like what Lena Denham is attempting to do re body image and self esteem but I felt this series fell a bit short.
Published 10 months ago by Lipstickgal

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative programming., 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
'Girls' is realism at its best; it's uncomfortable, stubborn, and downright self centred at times. Her characters stir emotions of annoyance, pity, yet not forgetting, dry but calculated humour - all for good measure. But isn't that a great depicition of real people as we know them?
Dunham manages to write experiences (mainly her own personal ones) that everybody can empathise with. Her brutality in capturing every moment with such honesty sets her apart from other creators, who tend to gloss over the less than pretty parts of life.
The characters: Hannah, Marnie, Soshanna and Jessa all feel like people we may know, or have come across, at stages in our lives. Unlike the show, its HBO counterpart, that it was likened to 'Sex and the City' whose character seemed so detached from planet earth; we felt morbidly depressed seeing them whisked off by handsome men, having cool jobs, and a killer wardrobe - whilst we stuffed our faces with 'Haagen Dazs' in our pyjamas (just me, then?)
We never feel like that with 'Girls' - there is more of a chance that Dunham's character would be walking around her apartment in next to nothing, with a far from perfect body, gulping down a pot or two of ice cream herself.
To cut a babble short; this show depicts real life issues, in its brutally honest, organic and witty form. The boys in their lives are not stunning, their jobs are not perfect, but we care for them; not because they're in our living rooms each week, but because they feel like real people, not figments of Dunham's incredible imagination. Her no holds barred style of writing captures this generation living life and dealing with the knock backs and successses as they come, as we would ourselves.
Dunham is a creative enigma, and this show is the most original and innovative production since Mad Men.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal..., 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Finally, a superbly written television series that tells it like it is- its full-on and not afraid to take chances and doesn't gloss over themes or actors with a Hollywood veneer. Hilarious, mischievous , blunt and refreshingly current. Television is smart again thanks to this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Listen Ladies...", 9 Dec 2013
I finally got my hands on this brilliant show, which well deserved the critical acclaim it got, and put Lena Dunham on the map (my map, anyway, after a bit of a research I found out Lena was rocking the world with her creations well before the "Girls").

Perhaps not from the pilot, but from the second episode I was hooked. The show is edgy, smart, funny, quite unique, different and a bit (sometimes more than a bit) awkward. Okay, there is not much of a story behind this season (apart from a few drawn lines), but each episode is its own story, and each chapter is one brilliant sitcom in its own right. The series slowed down in the middle episodes, there was, at times, a lot of over-dramatising (and a bit of over-acting in the beginning), but overall the show was very much enjoyed by me.

I loved all of the characters, from narcissistic and aloof Jenna to uptight Marnie, and curious, honest, with a wry sense of humour, phenomenal (and embracing it) Hannah, and, of course, Shoshanna, who lives by the rules of bad reality shows and self-help books with titles like "Listen Ladies: A Tough Love Approach to Love."

Time flew by! (And I appreciated less than half an hour episodes - you can watch a few and still have an evening left!) Yes, when I think about this I admit there is not a lot of philosophising going on, and I appreciate a lot of people may think there is no substance to the series, no glowing idea behind "Girls". But I tend to disagree. And in any case, I think the series is a great way to banish the boredom and cringe at the mistakes made by someone else, rather than you.

I cannot wait to watch the Second Season. Roll on Christmas!

P.S. And you have to check out the soundtrack!

P.P.S. Have I mentioned that I love this show?!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant show- real girls for a change, 29 July 2012
This review is from: Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
When I watched this series I loved it. It's like sex and the city except the girls aren't rolling in money and more realistic. I feel like they are the oddball group of friends you wish you had.

Really entertaining and keeps you interested. Would recommend to any girl in her 20s!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend!, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I had high hopes when first looking at this series, but it just seems to have fallen flat with me, at times it was funny and thats the only reason that I didn't give it 1 star. I couldn't relate or sympathise to any of these girls. Overall found it quite boring, did not meet the hyp that has been built around it, far too much whinging and overly dramitized scenes for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed., 28 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars read the reveiws thoght id take a chance, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
it took me awhile to get into this as i found it hard to like any of the characters ...but by the second disc of series one i am hooked and will buy complete series two when available

1.0 out of 5 stars Girls review, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Don't know what it was. Maybe I'm getting too old. Didn't like ANY of the characters at all. Couldn't relate to them. Didn't find any of them in any sympathetic or care what happened to them, except to wish more horrible things would come their way. Probably just me, but after all the hype and great reviews I was expecting a lot more. The wife felt the same way. We watched most of the episodes but didn't even bother with the last two and gave it away to friends (with warnings not to expect much) - very disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I bought this because of it's rave reviews on both sides of the atlantic. It is apparently novel, brilliant and hard-hitting. But - whilst it was fun watching - it didn't strike me a cutting edge. Yes the main character is smart, and honest, and (let's just say it) podgy. So it doesn't have the superficiality of sex and the city (which, for the record, I love). But they're all still white, american, from relatively good families, etc. It's basically just an enjoyable story of 4 girls struggling in their twenties with love, work, money, etc. As long as that's all you're expecting then I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 2 April 2014
Mr. C. J. Coupe (uk) - See all my reviews
I am so glad got this DVD, great American series which I have completely gotten into. Complete opposite to sex and the City more a young real life kind of series. Good watch!

ARRAY(0xa72f5618)

Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Girls - Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2013] by Lena Dunham (DVD - 2013)
9.75