4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Cheerful, 27 Jun 2013
Boing (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Birlea Tetras 4 ft 6-inch Double Bed (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this for a semi-furnished rental, instead of splashing out on a decent bed when I'll likely be moving in about a year. So far it seems perfectly adequate. Better than the one I broke anyway, which was interesting to sleep on at such a jaunty angle but not terribly comfortable.

The bed comes in four boxes, with screws/fittings, tools, and instructions supplied. It took me just about an hour to build it, and it was pretty easy even without any helping hands. All that's involved is a bunch of Allen key and spanner work, plus some snapping together of plastic caps for the slats. No arc welder required.

The "sprung" slats are in fact glued wood so will probably lose their springiness quite quickly (in fact I've just changed the cover on my mattress and after just two nights sleep, the slats on one side are noticeably less curved).
There are two sets of slats, one on each side of the bed, so if you're a middle lane hogger you won't get any springiness at all. The slats connect to a central beam which has three metal support legs at equal intervals. This could make it impractical to hide under the bed in the event of a psycho clown intrusion.

Due to the design of the bed, if you are planning on using a valance it will have to be one where the side and end flaps are independent, rather than one that has a continuous skirt. This is because the legs and headboard/footboard are "outside" where the valance wants to drop, but obviously still connected to the frame. I have a cheap Asda valance so I was prepared to fix that problem with scissors.

Not the best quality, but for this kind of money I am pretty pleased so far. As usual if any problems arise in the future, I will update the review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good delivery service and good bed, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Birlea Tetras 4 ft 6-inch Double Bed (Kitchen & Home)
Took some patience to build and some parts were quite tough to fit but I think this just meant the bed at the end of the build is sturdier and solid. Overhall I am happy with this purchase.

Birlea Tetras 4 ft 6-inch Double Bed