5.0 out of 5 stars Best Blackberry yet
As a frustrated ex-Blackberry Pearl 8120 owner (see separate review), I honestly thought I would never ever buy another one of these phones. But having owned of these now for about two months I'm about to say something I thought I never would about a Blackberry... I love it!!

Published on 27 May 2013 by Liam S

I'm new to smartphones, considering my last phone was part of Samsung's "indestructible rubber brick" range, I figured a blackberry was a good in-between option, before I go full blown smartphone, and sell my soul to google/apple.

Published 4 months ago by John Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Blackberry yet, 27 May 2013
This review is from: BlackBerry Curve 9320 Smartphone - Black (Electronics)

Before I sing the phones' praises though, a tale of woe - originally bought one of these on Vodafone Pay As You Go, only to find that the phone would not function properly due to me living in a reception blackspot, meaning that making calls or sending texts was nigh on impossible due to a lack of signal or at worst no network coverage at all. This meant having to buy another phone - this time sim-free from Carphone Warehouse - and also having to transfer my number back to Orange as I've decided to keep my current one, but thankfully the second phone has no such problems in that Oranges' signal is a lot stronger.

So what is there to love about this phone? Mainly because texting on a qwerty-style keypad phone is a lot easier and faster with none of that predictive texting nonsense - I've tried this before on a candy-bar phone many times and failed. And when texting you can choose to finish your messages by adding a smiley, a face graphic and a nice touch too.

Access to all the main apps is fairly easy, and although BBM is a must-have amongst many Blackberry owners personally I have no need to use it as texting and calling is enough! The same is true when it comes to emails on the phone - I have a PC with which to catch up with these so again no need to bother, and also because I'm not that techno-savvy.

Battery life is a lot better also, the one thing that everybody seems to bear in mind when it comes to Blackberry phones - this appears to have been improved in that with a full charge the battery will last at least (or just under) a week. Good though this may be it could still be made that bit longer. But all in all this is the best yet from Blackberry, and a good buy if you're a social networker but have no desire to own a touchscreen phone. There is also a huge range of cases and screen protectors available to protect the phone from bumps and scratches, so one of these and the phone itself is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Mar. 2013
Xenophon (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry Curve 9320 Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
This Blackberry is excellent for a number of reasons:

1. It is suitable as a 1st/2nd phone
1. The price is reasonable
3. The reception is exceptional
4. The phone is sturdy and doesn't scratch easliy
5. The contact and phone menus are very good as usual

This is probably the best Curve yet and worth getting for all members of the family.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last, RIM, you did it right!, 24 Oct. 2012
Desiree (Trieste, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry Curve 9320 Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I used to have sort of a complicated relationship with BBs. I previously owned a Bold 9780 that I found highly disappointing considering its high price tag. When I finally got rid of it I thought I'd never ever get back. I was so wrong!
After 6 months of struggling against Android bugs on a QWERTY Samsung Galaxy I finally had to reconsider the BB as a viable option. I needed a phone for texts, chats, mails and all sorts off communications and I hate doing those things on a touchscreen. These are the kind of stuff where the BB OS still has no rivals. Despite all sorts of other flaws, namely the embarassing web browser and the number of useful apps that is close to zero, it is still the best communication OS out there.

So this time I decided to go for the cheapest model, and guess what? It rocks!
Build quality seems good, the device looks solid and the soft texture of the plastic makes it pleasant to be held in your hand. Moreover, I really like the simple, neat design of it. Despite being the entry level model, it does not look so cheap as previous Curves like i.e. the 8520.
The screen is ok, I was aware that the 240x320 resolution would not make it very sharp, the 640x480 display of my previous Bold was gorgeous in comparison to this, but at least on this device the screen is well protected by a robust plastic coating (i.e. you don't see the liquid crystal halo on the screen if you accidentally press it).
The keyboard is a pleasure to use. I largely prefer the Curve keyboard, with separated keys, over the Bold one, where the keys are softer and attached.
The Camera is ok, it is a 3.2 mpxl with LED flash, but I think it has fixed focus. To be used only if you don't have anything better at hand.
Convenience Keys on the side are handy and not too easy to press accidentally. Battery life is ok, the phone makes it to the end of a busy day. Let us say that you can expect to charge it every other day, which is much better than most nowadays phones.
The bundle that came with the phone is the standard Curve one: EU and UK USB chargers, USB cable, stereo headset, cd and a couple of leaflets.

From the software point of view, OS 7 (this phone comes with 7.1) is virtually identical to OS 6, but it has a few improvements that I appreciate, one above all the Wi-Fi hotspot feature, that I really missed on my previous BB (which had OS 6). It also comes with a DLNA server, for streaming your multimedia stuff over a local network (a feature I am not sure I will ever use, but thanks RIM for the effort). I also noticed some slight improvement in the web browser. It is still pretty clumsy, but I'd say it seems better.
Instant messaging apps are as usual very good: I mostly use Gtalk and must say that the BB client is ages better than the original Android one!
One thing I hate about this OS is the overwhelming presence of Bing web search. If you want Google, you have to add it manually, to both the web browser and the Universal Search.
The phone comes with Office To Go preinstalled for viewing (and editing, I suppose) Office documents. Have not used it so far, but in case you need to open an urgent attachment, you will be able to do it.
Apart from these remarks, OS 7 is nothing more and nothing less than its predecessors, which means: an efficient and intuitive interface designed to be operated through the optical scroll device (no need for a touchscreen, really), excellent for communications (texts, emails, IM), ok as a media player, ok for Twitter, poor for Facebook, poor for web surfing.
The annoying things are still there too: you still have to pull out the battery to reboot the device, it still takes ages to reboot and you still have to reboot it after most app updates. Shame on you RIM, this feels like Windows 98!
By the way, once you install Google Maps, Opera Mini, Dropbox and Poynt you are probably ready to get the most from this device.

At this price point I believe this model is good value for money. In my opinion, more expensive models are not worth the premium price tag. I am really satisfied with the build quality of this phone and how it is designed to make you do (most) things quickly. Blackberries have their limits however, so make sure you know what you want from it before buying one.
If what you want is an excellent communication device, then go for this one, definitely!

1.0 out of 5 stars Error ridden, infuriating, and semi-functional at best. Buy something else., 3 Jan. 2015
John Richardson "Fiend" (leeds , uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry Curve 9320 Smartphone - Black (Electronics)

I've have this phone more than a year now, and I can honestly say - This phone is the worst phone I've ever encountered.

I'll start with the fact that within a week of purchase, I had to return it to O2 to be repaired (replaced, O2 are far too lazy for repairs) as it just turned itself off and refused to turn on.
Not a promising start.

Then we have the music player:
I started to use it as a replacement mp3 player as it loads a tonne more music than my tiny 4GB thing, and It means I don't have to carry round two devices all day. Score? You'd think....

So the blackberry has a "voice dialing" feature, something which I imagine no one would ever use, lest they get weird looks on the bus.
The voice dialling just randomly interrupted my music, ALL THE TIME. I'd be in the middle of listening to a band, and suddenly, my music just stops. The phone announces: "SAY A COMMAND". And it just happens again and again and again. It doesn't just go away either. As soon as you cancel voice command, it magically reappears of it's own volition, as if it is taking issue with your choice of music. I often had to take the battery out to shut it t up. It took hours of messing about with online troubleshooting to figure out the problem was a minuscule piece of fluff in the headphone socket.

It freezes too. Randomly. From anywhere up to 30 seconds to 10 minutes...

Blackberry also installed this wonderful function - when your battery is low, the phone will randomly declare "battery too low for radio use" and turn off the mobile network and refuse to reconnect it, effectively reducing the functionality of the phone, to that of a hitech paper weight. I've never known any other phone do this... It's bizarre. What's the point of turning off the network? You might as well have the network work a little longer before the phone dies! What's the point in a phone without a network? It gets worse. Just recently it has started to declare "battery too low for radio use", when there is still a load of battery remaining; often nearly fully charged.

The phone occasionally deletes texts without warning, of it's own accord. Particularly annoying if you have yet to reply! The thing takes about a year to turn on again after a reset (these resets are now several times a day, which I'll tell you about in a sec). The battery life is just under a day, and it needs charging every evening without fail. This I am informed is normal for smart phone, but considering my last phone's battery lasted a week and half, even after 5 years of use, I am pretty disappointed.

The scroll pad seizes up constantly. The internet browser often vanishes, leaving me with no explanation other than "The browser has closed unexpectedly". Gee, thanks phone.

Then we have the the worst part, the bit that made me really really hate this phone:
Random crashes....
Suddenly without warning, the phone shuts down totally. You could be in the middle of a phone call, listening to music, facebook, etc... And OFF. No reason, no warning. Just OFF. You try to turn it back on. Nothing happens. You did have full battery?! You start to panic.. Ring O2, start to scramble about for your warrantee papers, wonder how much this is gonna cost you..then suddenly it comes back to life out of nowhere, and works as normal. Making you wee yourself thinking you're gonna need a new phone for 5 minutes. It's like the phone is trolling you. Thanks blackberry.

This has been happening more and more! It started after 3 or 4 months of own the phone, maybe once or twice day, but quickly became 10 times a day. Now, it's nearly every time I touch the phone I have to pray It will work long enough for me to reply to a text!

Needless to say, I'm getting a new one, just don't make the same mistake I did.

This phone is error ridden, infuriating, and semi-functional at best.. Look elsewhere. Don't buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Mobile, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: BlackBerry Curve 9320 Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
Own a Nokia C3 which is trying to behave like a BB, I wanted to upgrade as the Nokia C3 has a mind of its own when used a Bluetooth in the Car, so, having ready many reviews I decided on the Blackberry Curve 9320. First thing it works in the car without the Hiccups the Nokia C3 developed. I love the well built and clever things about the BB9320, it's a classic little beauty and invested in a quality cover. I did read that the Key-Pad was a bit small when trying to speed up typing, but if you use the tips of your fingers, response is excellent. I use PAYG, as I really do not need the To use Internet facilities, anyway I have an iPad and LapTop for all the Internet required. So here I am 70 yrs young and still playing with Toys. I love this BB, so thanks to all the positive Commenters (I usually ignore the the negatives when they are in a minority ) for giving me the confidence to buy this Mobile.

3.0 out of 5 stars Please be aware !!, 27 Aug. 2012
A. T. Taylor - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry Curve 9320 Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
Reasonably pleased with the phone ( purchased because I wanted a reasonably high spec but without a touch screen). But having set up my wi fi and all the things you do with a new phone I found I could not send pictures. With other phones this is normally just a question of putting in the correct settings. After fiddling for an age I rang my carrier (Orange)who informed me that with Blackberries THERE IS A £5 PER MONTH CHARGE TO USE THE PICTURE MESSAGE FACILITY !!! I purchased this phone to use 'pay as you go' - I do not wish to be tied to any monthly charges !!. Further enquiries confirmed that this charge is applied ONLY to Blackberries. Why is this not made clear in advertisements which prattle on about how wonderful the features are?

4.0 out of 5 stars great so far, 25 Dec. 2012
I have just received this present today from santa for christmas! So far it has been great I am actually writing this review on it! It was a bit dfficult to set up and find my way around but once I did that I now find it easy to use. Got bbm set up without too much bother and am now just enjoying browsing around it. It isn't perfect but its a great little phine and I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best phone I have ever used., 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: BlackBerry Curve 9320 Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
This phone really is something special. I have used many phones, android, iPhone and the later Blackberry 10 model. I actually bought a Z10 and ended up taking it back because this phone was better. It does what I need it to do and it doesn't come with a crazy price tag. I can read the news, go on social networks, banking, listen to spotify all in one day without charging the battery, whereas the Z10 lacked those apps, no spotify and no banking, and all for a half days battery and a hefty price tag. I bought this beast for about £100 and is worth every single penny. It's cheap to replace parts, the parts are available and it can also take a right beating, dropped it multiple times on concrete with only a tiny scuff to show for it, I think it will take one damn good phone for me to let go of this, its simple, but does everything I need it to.

The keyboard is definitely the best I've ever touched. I could never dream of using a touchscreen keyboard with my eyes closed but with this thing absolutely no problem, full punctuation and grammar 100% accurate, on my Z10 I could never even complete a paragraph without coming across a mistake.

BUY THIS PHONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars BlackBerry Curve 9320, 11 Feb. 2013
John Paton (Zambia) - See all my reviews
Great phone for the price and easy to use. I did not want a touch screen as many friends who have them on their phones find that when making a call the ear can sometimes cause something else to happen on the screen. The 3G feature is great and makes for faster browsing and I like the way I can tether the 'phone to my laptop and use it as a modem when my wi-fi connection drops. The camera is not bad but not as good as on my iPod Touch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spend a bit more, get something better, 20 April 2014
This review is from: BlackBerry Curve 9320 Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
I bought this phone Jan 2013, at first i thought it was great but before long its weaknesses of not being fully tested started to show up. These were issues that other people with the same phone have also had, and i wish i had gone for something a bit better.

Despite the general functionality of the phone being rather decent, by the 6 month mark the phone was constantly restarting itself for no reason, i'd be in the middle of a text and my screen would flash off, then the 5 minute boot time. Other times it would just cut off and require me to remove the battery for it to reboot again.

Blackberry do have a nice feature which turns off the cellular when below 1% battery, so you can still access your contacts etc. for using payphones. However this started to become a pain as slowly but surely this would start occurring earlier and earlier, i.e. 2%, 4% ... 8%, 20% and the worst i had was about 40%! Removing the battery and rebooting the phone can often fix this at the expense of about 8% battery life, only for it to happen again.

I had known people to send the phone in for repairs for it to come back containing the same issues, and replacement batteries do not solve the issues. After going through forums to find ways of improving it (blue tack on the battery to stop it moving) there is nothing that can really fix it unfortunately.

My advice, for a cheap smartphone, i suppose its worth it, however spending so much time being frustrated replacing the battery is just frustrating and i wish i had spend a bit more.

BlackBerry Curve 9320 Smartphone - Black