Adobe Photoshop CS6 (PC)
Edition: Standard Version (PC)Format: DownloadChange
Price:£1,299.99

Although a stiff entry price, CS6 and predecessors are worth it in the long run, not least the discounted future upgrade oportunities. I may have dabbled with dubious versions in my mispent past (going back to 1999), but if you're serious about photography, a legitimate version ultimately makes sense. The cost is not huge when you think about how important photoshop is to your final product, and compared to what camera equipment costs these days, it brings things into perspective.

Having moved from CS3 to CS6, the new features on offer are quite dramtic, the adaptive wide angle filter is an amazing tool and is actually 'fun' to use and experiment with. The shadows and highlights tools has been improved considerably, with halos a thing of the past. Noise reduction is impressive, and as effective as any add-on plug-in...just a shame that brushing noise reduction that features in current adobe lightroom, isn't available in photoshop.

One feature, not sure when it was introduced, that has grabbed my attention is the ability to fade most adjustments, and this has proved it's worth when fine tuning an image after an auto adjustment has not quite done the job, but has got pretty close.

Bridge seems to work seemlessly, although I gather some have had issues (I use Win7 64), the mini bridge feature is handy but I do wish I could find out how to get Bridge to launch at the same time as I open Photoshop...which was the case with CS3.

As with most photographers, even advanced ones, I will only ever scratch the surface of what photoshop can offer.... but each year I learn something new in photoshop, which increases it's worth to me. All in all, very glad I finally pulled the trigger on a full version.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 August 2012
Photoshop CS6 is a superbly powerful bit of software, but with Elements and, to a lesser extent Lightshop, falling in price and increasing in function, is it still worth the hefty entry price for the "daddy" of the Adobe photo processing family? The answer is probably, yes.

Interestingly, CS6 has also increased in user friendliness which makes it even more attractive to the non-professional user. In particular the devastatingly good (and much improved from earlier versions) RAW processor has taken out the need to be quite so reliant on the "curves" functions of the software. Dedicated fans of curves still have access to all this clever goodness, but the RAW processor (which works not only on RAW images but also on jpegs and other formats, albeit less amazingly) means that with some simple intuitive adjustments, you can rescue even the most drab photograph to something that looks good. If your goal is photo processing, which after all is the main point of Photoshop, then you are likely to spend more time in the RAW processor than you will in Photoshop per se. Not least because changes here are "non-destructive" so if you get a little too heavy on the changes you can always revert to the original.

You only need to move into the main part of Photoshop to manipulate your images - which may be anything from removing unwanted distractions to playing around with filters etc. It's here that the whole thing is less intuitive unless you have some experience with the Adobe stable of software. One great benefit of CS6 is that it now looks much more like the interface of Elements and Lightroom, so if you have some experience of these then you have a significant head start. Even so, despite the high entry cost of the software, you'd be well advised to buy a book to guide you around the intricacies of what is available to you.

Photoshop is also far stronger than Elements when it comes to more creative "art" or "design" work. In the right hands, what you can create with Photoshop is nothing short of outstanding. You can also use it with video, although I confess I haven't tried this - nor am likely to.

So, are there limitations? Well, some. The HDR processing is shaky to say the least - nowhere near Photomatix for example. It lacks the intuitive uploading to social media interface that Lightroom offers and it assumes you know what you are doing so lacks the guided processing parts of Elements which are, in fact, quite useful. It's not for everyone. For the keen amateur, to be honest, Elements is now so much improved that it will suffice for most basic photo processing and, if you combine with Lightroom which has a superior organization component, you can cope without using the full Photoshop. Then again, if you find an offer that reduces the price of the main package - and these are fairly frequent - then I doubt you will regret it.

I cannot comment on upgraded components - this was my first dip into the full package world.
on 18 September 2012
Photoshop is very pricey and about £200 to £300 too much in my opinion. Even though I received a large discount to buy the full blown CS6 software outright, it is still pricey. Consider that you will probably only ever use about 20 to 30% of the functionality and especially so if you are a photographer the price scenario becomes worse. Adobe got it right when they reduced the price of Lightroom 4 from around £250 to £100 so why haven't they done the same with CS6 and used the lower price to reign in the pirate software users? Most users would probably pay £250 to £350 everytime including a reasonable upgrade price! Not too long ago Photoshop was around the £350 mark. Anyway, enough said about the bad point of pricing.

What can I say, buy this software. It is pricey but worth it in the long run. Using genuine software and then registering it with Adobe gives you access to the Adobe website and a whole plethora of free tutorials, advice, techniques, plugins and much more helping you get up to speed quickly. Photoshop CS6 is amazing and the improvements to the newer tools that appeared in CS5 are leaps and bounds better. Currently I'm using the software on a basic PC running Vista 32bit and only 3GB of ram and it starts up faster than CS5 and doesn't really give me any problems until I'm running some heavy layers and adjustments. Everything seems to run quicker and smoother which may be down to the newer programming methods Adobe are using.

This is my first jump into full blown Photoshop as I've recently been using Elements 9 and Lightroom 4 which both compliment each other but wanting to take my image manipulation further and getting an almost 45% discount from Amazon, the deal was sealed. If you don't want to buy the software outright why not consider the yearly subscription offer that Adobe are currently offering at around £17 to £18 per month?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 September 2012
Let me first say that this is only a first impressions review as I'm only just go to grips with using this version. That said I have been using Photoshop on and off (mostly off) since version 1 was launched back in 1990. Mostly I have been using elements for the past five years and lightroom for the last 12 months. It was due to the fact that I purchased Lightroom that's I managed to get a significant discount on the cost of Photoshop, I wouldn't have been able to justify the cost otherwise. I don't use it enough professionally although now that I have it I'm sure lots of friends of my mine will ask me to improve their pictures.

it is truly astounding what Photoshop will allow you to do, if you're unaware what the content aware tools do I suggest you have a look at some tutorials available on YouTube. Content aware move and content aware fill can breathe new life into photos you previously thought were uninspiring. There are lots of good videos you can watch on youtube that show you how to use these specific functions.

The smart sharpen tools are miraculous as you can correct for things like camera shake, this means that photos you thought previously unusable due to being slightly blurry can be brought back to life with a couple of minutes work. In the early version of Photoshop I used to spend a lot of time using the dust and scratches filter to get rid of dust and scratches on film negatives. The Digital equivalent of that filter is called the spot healing brush and it's too can clean up your image getting rid of sensor and lens dust spots.

The adjustment brush in Adobe Camera RAW is excellent allowing you to make changes to image even before you bring it into Photoshop. The noise reduction tools are especially useful. I could go on for pages about some of the functions but I suggest if you're interested then download the trial from Adobe's website and give it a go for 30 days.

I don't know if I'll ever truly master software it will take years, however it's one of those things I will happily spend hours doing. It's very easy to lose days editing images if you're not careful, you have to know when to stop. Another thing you should be know, if you're editing raw images and using multiple layers it can take up a lot of disk space. I have just finished editing a 28 MB raw image with a lot of layer adjustments and in the end the file had grown to 250 MB.

In summary this is a piece of software I'm really looking forward to use and I can't say that of many other bits of software over the past 20 years. I find myself drawn to my computer and wanting to use it rather than it being a chore. It will take me many months of learning and using to get to grips with a lot of features of this software. I have many thousands of pictures that could do with a little tweaking here and there although I don't know that I'll ever get around to editing them all.
on 25 August 2013
I have just bought this product having previously used Photoshop CS4. Photoshop is absolutely the best photo editing product on the market. I can't fault the quality of the software, and the new features available in CS6 will ultimately save me a lot of work. The switch from CS4 to CS6 is painless - the user interface is very similar. A beginner might have problems installing and using this product for the first time. The package consists of a box containing another box containing a sleeve containing a DVD, but no instructions (except a warning to make sure you have internet access). You have to realise there is a "readme" file on the DVD and go to Adobe's web site for even basic information. Photoshop it is a very, very expensive piece of software. Unless you need the advanced features of Photoshop, there are other much cheaper products available. The system requirements say this product is only supported on Windows XP and Windows 7 - an odd combination. I am using Windows Vista, so I installed the software with some trepidation. I am pleased to say it works perfect for me. Other Vista users should try out the product before buying it, just in case. Overall it's a great product, but I'm subtracting a star for the expensive price and the lack of any helpful information in the package.
on 9 September 2012
I've grown up with The Gimp (excellent free software) and Elements 5.
The new Photoshop CS6 is rather better, very intuitive to use and breathtakingly capable.
At full price it is difficult to justify for amateur use but, when discounted, can be recommended for those taking their photography more seriously.
The raw file facility integrated in this software now takes precedence over the Nikon dedicated program that I formerley used.
To help take full advantage of all that the software offers, I recommend 'The missing manual' by Lisa Snider.
on 18 August 2012
Adobe Photoshop CS6 (PC)I up graded to Photoshop 6 from version 3 and find it a great improvement.A particular blessing is the superb tool for removing Chromatic Abhoration. The only warning that I would give is that it needs a 64 bit operating system to work swiftly. It will work with 32 bit but is not happy.
on 8 September 2012
CS6 seems just great. Definitely not had time to fully explore its functionality (who does?!) but a huge step up from Elements 7 which I used previously. Particularly love the Camera Raw dialogue.
on 26 December 2012
This has been added to my CS6 PREM PRO collection for faster integration of my editing suite utilities. Excellent product.
on 24 August 2012
The best photo editing tool out there, but costs an arm and a leg.
But got a £265 discount, because I had earlier purchased Lightroom 4 a few weeks ago.
Thank you Amazon!