5.0 out of 5 stars Cassette to MP3
Published 15 months ago by David A

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruins tapes
Published 16 months ago by helen knipe

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruins tapes, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: USB Cassette Player and Tape-to-MP3 Converter UCP218 (Electronics)
Completely devastated as incredibly easy to use but does not play tapes correctly whilst capturing data. Using tapes we knew to be in perfect working order (and a few minutes before played faultlessly on another player) were slowed down, distorted and finally damaged by this device. Would not recommend and wish I had listened to the advice of others who said not to buy this at all

5.0 out of 5 stars Cassette to MP3, 5 Feb. 2014
I saw this on Amazon and thought about all the great cassetts lying about my bedroom not being played any more and i still liked also it was reasonably priced so i ordered it and was very pleased with the result . The instructions were easy to follow and I was soon listening to my old cassetts on my MP3 player . transferred from my computer .It worked a treat .

3.0 out of 5 stars It works,just!, 25 Mar. 2014
Cheaply made( hence the price) of wafer thin plastic,poor quality tape head and mechanics.You have to depress front cover to engage tape head to cassette.On the plus side it does playback audio cassettes. I think audiophiles would be prepared to pay over £50 for a substantially better product, but their is nothing else out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price, 1 Mar. 2015
I was surprised by how well this works. I can't rate the software as I'm using an existing audio editing package. But the tape player works fine. Ignore the descriptions printed on the front ("hifi", "mega-bass" etc) which I think have just been copied off an old walkman! Also the results you get will of course be limited by the age/condition of the cassettes you're playing. Also worth investing in some tape head cleaning fluid as old cassettes tend to shed a lot of their oxide coating.

1.0 out of 5 stars I opted for this one as the price was low and I don't have any great confidence that ripped cassettes will provide that good qua, 27 Oct. 2014
I ordered this unit after seeing a few decent reviews and as I have boxes of cassettes that might be worth copying to mp3. I opted for this one as the price was low and I don't have any great confidence that ripped cassettes will provide that good quality sound.

Sadly, the unit didn't work. Several sets of new batteries and when "play" button depressed nothing happens. It also didn't work on usb as per the instructions.

I reported it through the Amazon system and the sellers gave me an instant refund. No quibbles. And that has to be applauded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 23 Aug. 2013
It does what it say it will do very well.
It is a great way of sorting out old tapes for the DVD/CD format

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - does just what I wanted, 5 Feb. 2014
Works well as either mobile cassette player or just for converting to mp3. Not complicated to use the included software.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Effective - a Revelation!, 22 April 2015
I didn't have much hope of this working as I've been round the houses trying to find a good way of ripping all my old cassettes and the possibility of this cheap, easily attainable device actually working seemed too good to be true. But 'lo and behold - it works a treat!

I'd been trying to connect an old cassette player via the line-in, but experienced issues with drivers. There were no driver issues here. As soon as it was connected for the first time via USB the necessary drivers automatically downloaded and installed themselves. It is worth noting, however, that I am running Windows 7 and that I could not get this device to work with a second computer running Windows 8.

The quality of the ripped audio probably isn't exemplary. I initially used the function that allows the cassette to automatically turn over, meaning you can leave a C90 ripping both sides without having to return to flip it over. However, I noticed that the audio suffered greatly after the end of side one and never improved (slow and wobbly). So, I tried ripping just the second side on its own and it sounded fine. So, I'd say the machine can be somewhat erratic. After that I only ripped one side at a time, manually turning over every cassette, and I went on to successfully rip around 20 cassettes with no further issues.

Basically, if you are an audiophile - look elsewhere. If you just want to convert a stack of tapes for the memories and nostalgia contained therein I think this will do the job nicely if you are willing to put a bit of care and attention into monitoring what's being output! This device is definitely the most straightforward way I've found to rip cassettes and really cheap, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars The build quality is rather poor but it was very cheap, 27 Sept. 2014
The build quality is rather poor but it was very cheap. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with Windows 8.1 but that's hardly surprising, so I have to use it with an older laptop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned for refund, 10 Feb. 2015
Returned because the motor driving the mechanism didn't operate at a constant rate, causing the tape to speed up or slow down. Very disappointed. Also, software CD doesn't fit an iMac and instructions hard to follow.