4.0 out of 5 stars Storm Corrosion
So, you want to read a review because you have no idea what this album sounds like, right? It's not easy to give you any help...

Lesson 1: This is NOT Opeth, and this is NOT Porcupine Tree.

It's an album mostly devoid of percussion and metal guitars. It is more on the easy and lightweight side, but with a dark secret. The melodies in themselves are...
Published on 7 May 2012 by Johan Klovsjö

3.0 out of 5 stars Drag Ropes fail to find songs
I bought this album on the day of release.
I've listened to it on and off ever since.
Sometimes when I listen a song threatens to break out. It hasn't quite happened yet.
I'll try again.
Published on 2 April 2013 by Pesto Fingeration

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
Great musicianship, but not something to put on as background music or even to give a good listen to to enjoy a fine piece of music. Something you really have to get in to with headphones on, and even then it did not give me goosbumps. Gimme In Absentia or Blackwater park any time over this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow corrosion, 6 Aug. 2012
M. D. Stone "rockspider" (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
I love Steven Wilsons music PTree and his solo work rank as some of the best music i have heard in my 40 years of being a music fan, im not a huge Opeth fan but enjoy listening to the couple of cds i have ,i awaited this album knowing it wouldn't be in the same category as anything either of these two top of their game musicians past output as individuals in their own bands, so I wasn't expecting it to be PT or Opeth, that goes without saying but felt it would be great new territory perhaps setting the path to future new direction for both musicians as individuals.

I have tried, i really have , this album reeks of self indulgence, dirge after dirge of slow plodding gloomy hubris, im no intellectual , perhaps i don't get it, but seriously from two heads like these guys, no guitars/drums ? even in sparse amounts ? , surely they must have been aware the hardcore Opeth Porcupine tree fan base would be the bulk of the demographic and would keep it real rather than this ,i waited for a track i could recognize as music and for the album to get started, it doesn't, i would guess there are many fans of these great bands left wondering where this comes from and hoping this is not a direction either of these two top musicians will venture further into

I suspect SW is losing his hunger for success now he has established himself and is highly respected ,a force which has driven his songwriting craft to produce some utterly beautiful and moving music, the stuff that really gives you goosebumps and fills you with inexpressible pleasure, a very rare occasion for me and a lot of the older musos these days and a precious talent in the current status of modern music. i read somewhere a quote by SW and MA that neither cared what anyone thought of it, this sums it up, its the soundtrack to a 70s Hammer film or art flick perhaps one of them saw as a youth, pretentiously recreated, couple of bottles of wine a whole bunch of software, some Lasse Hoile type formula video/artwork to go with it , hey presto! job done, depressing really

2.0 out of 5 stars Too ambient...., 8 May 2012
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
This is a tricky review to write as you hate to knock people you admire (and you know you'll get negative feedback for doing so) but I found this one a bit of a let down considering what both guys can do.

As other reviewers have said, don't buy this CD if you think it's going to sound like Opeth or Porcupine Tree. For me it sounds a bit more like an ambient soundscape - it's difficult to pigeon hole the sound, but basically you won't find yourself jumping around to it!! For most parts there's not a lot going on.

Personally I find it too slow and ethereal. I really like PT and Opeth but this project doesn't do it for me. For sentimentality reasons I'd love to rate it higher, but honesty leads to a lower tally.

By the way if you buy the BluRay version you do not get any videos just the other sound mixes, so don't buy it hoping for the Drag Ropes video.

2.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzzzz, 15 May 2012
J. W. Furlong (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
This album has been hyped for some time and as a fan of work by both Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt, it was something I wanted in my collection. Boy was I wrong about that.

This overly dull, unstructured piece of self-indulgent, overblown acoustic guitar noodling that even a fan of New Age music would say is unfocused has been the biggest disappointment of the year. I know both Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt stated they wanted to do something difference and not to produce a "prog supergroup", but even I'm not sure what this is. It's not prog, it's not ambient, it's not jazz. It is, though, boring.

If you want an album that will inspire you, avoid. If you want a cure for insomnia, consider it.

All in all, awful. What a waste of an opportunity.

2.0 out of 5 stars weak and boring, 22 May 2012
D. Q. RAMOS (Sintra, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
I knew from the beginning this was not an Opeth or Porcupine Tree album. I actually loved Heritage and think it was one of Opeth's finest moments (as opposed to many Opeth fans), but wasn't expecting this at all.

This 6 track album fails to impress. Its like a soundtrack of a movie, a dark eerie movie, just like the video from "Drag Ropes", it fits perfectly with the video... but what was the point of the whole album? A soundtrack or a pseudo-progressive album?

In terms of progressive sound and any kind of sound for what matters, I prefer music that impresses me, music that makes me want to loop a track several times and listen over and over again.

Music that brings the unexpected...

This album is boring to say the least. Lacks momentum, rhythm and charm. I can't think of a single track worth remembering.

Coming from Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt, I was expecting a lot more from this creative minds.

It feels as though they met for a couple of months, drank some Porto wine and recorded a album about how bored they were looking at the rain or something.

2 stars for the production... the end

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 24 Dec. 2014
S. HOSKISSON - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
in which mikael and steven pretend to be popol vuh...honestly...really...you could just listen to popol vuh...

2.0 out of 5 stars Insomnia cure, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
If you need a cure for insomnia, this is great - buy it!
If you like to be awake whilst listening to your music....don't buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, borin, boring, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
This has been one of the greatest deceptions of the year. I expected a lot more from this duo. I've hardly ever achieved to get to the final of this album with the eyes open. Too much projects, Mr. Willson.... and an enormous lack of quality in many of the last ones.

1.0 out of 5 stars Storm in a teacup, 26 Jun. 2012
Mr. SJ Clarke "clunkyclarke" (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
Lots of hype regarding (arguably) two of the most talented guys around - which makes it all the more disappointing. As an avid Porcupine Tree fan this is
far too ethereal for me ... too abstract.
I find it hard to knock Mr Wilson as I admire (most) of his music , his abilities and musical hunger as well as his drive, etc.... but there's no point lying to myself. I want this to be good. It isn't!
It's a little weird. Thin ideas veiled into long drawn-out yawns. Bland. Boring.... Little if any rock structure, no progression - Not for me I'm afraid !

Music to take an overdose to!

3.0 out of 5 stars cracked cd case, 7 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Storm Corrosion (Audio CD)
the cd case was cracked in several places,cd fine.packaging could be better so cd would be protected from damage other than that all good

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›