Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.17

on 24 June 2012
Devil's Icebox is the second book in the Dark Earth series which began with Dark Earth itself. In this book we see events from the point of view of a Lord and his Witch from the Dark Earth who are exploring ways to bypass the restrictions placed on the existing portal between worlds by the new Lord Baxter. In many ways Cassiopeia's journey is not only a physical one but also an exploration of her own power, needs and motivations while being exposed to the companionship of a man she doesn't really like but also the revelations of the other Earth's technology and women's status.
I hesitate to call the book a sequel since it only gives a minor nod to the characters from the first even though the events and consequences created the framework for the story but the upside is that the book can standalone. One thing I can say is that Cassiopeia's growth is well written, she is an intelligent woman to begin with but her exposure to new ideas really develops the character which is why when events take a twist it comes as a little bit of a shock, still not quite sure if I approve or not and maybe it'll take another book or two for me to decide.
I'll admit I was hoping for a direct sequel to Dark Earth with the same characters but Devil's Icebox has opened up the worlds and I am sure in time the two and maybe even more threads/arcs will interact more directly but for now this is a good read with magic and technology mixing and setting up future books in the series.Dark Earth
on 30 December 2012
Expensive, short and thin, and only loosely a sequel as it features a different main character and Halstead's preoccupation with lesbian relationships. Although ostensibly longer than the first novel in the series is seems short and has a thin plot. Occasionally there is excessive violence but does, to some extent, have the main character developing into a more humane person by the time she reaches the final page. The story seems truncated as it covers only her journey from one gate into our universe to the location of the title with not a great deal happening between. Halstead has written other books superior to this in content and length, try them. This is not recommended even if you enjoyed "Dark Earth".

Bill "Sock Puppet" Fox
on 5 January 2013
I gave this book four stars because it was a great story and I loved all the magic and funny/embarrassing lines and awkward moments I love it its the best series ever!!!!!!!I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes to read adventurous and exciting story's.
on 6 December 2012
Halstead consistently entertains. The Dark Earth series books, while quite different in characterizations, is another fun romp. I would definitely recommend the Dark Earth books and look forward to reading more of them.
on 23 March 2014
Interesting story line, enjoyed reading it, will keep an eye out for this author in the future and would read other books in this series.