4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative and revealing. Adds a real depth to Soth.
Published on 1 Jun 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing sequel.
This is the sequel to the novel by James Lowder `Knight Black Rose'.

I was looking forward in reading this book since I loved the prequel which I conceder one of the best not if the best dungeons and dragons novel I have read so far. Needless to say I was bitterly disappointed.

The main story is how Lord Soth "managed" to escape the mists of...
Published on 17 July 2006 by M. Tsimaris

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing sequel., 17 July 2006
M. Tsimaris (Cyprus) - See all my reviews
This is the sequel to the novel by James Lowder `Knight Black Rose'.

The main story is how Lord Soth "managed" to escape the mists of Ravenloft back to his castle on Krynn. To me it sounded like nonsense and I suspect that the only reason he escapes the mists and RL is because he was needed back with the Dragonlance world in order to further the storyline there. So they had to make up some outrageous story in order to achieve that. Of course some readers may have different views on the matter and they may even like the story but to me is very farfetched. It doesn't seem to follow the rules of Ravenloft and at some cases I believe Lord Soth was portrayed to be oblivious to the events taking place in his own realm.

It was an easy read though but that doesn't mean I enjoyed the story and hence the book. In short it was nothing special which is a shame is because I expected more from James Lowder.

If you are fan like me who wanted to find more about Lord Soth and how he escaped the mists of RL then get this book, but in any case don't expect much.
I really suggest reading the prequel `Knight Black Rose' which is a stand-alone story and if you are interested in learning more about Ravenloft you might want to read `I,Strahd - The memoirs of a Vampire' and `I,Strahd - The War Against Azalin'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative and revealing. Adds a real depth to Soth., 1 Jun 1999
By A Customer
A long-time fan of Dragonlance, I relished the thought of getting to grip with the more sinister side of the saga, and it doesn't come much more sinister than Soth. 'Spectre of the Black Rose' remains true to the imposing, horrifying image set by Weis and Hickman in the Dragonlance Chronicles, but at the same time adds depth and character beyond the 'knight from beyond the grave' idea.
Soth's power is brought to the fore on many occasions as he destroys those sent against him, but in the end--as before--his passions bring him down. The ending scenario is brilliantly written, and the multiple threads weaving through the story tie together nicely.
All in all, an excellent book I'd recommend to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Great READ!, 3 May 1999
By A Customer
This is a great sequel to the Knight of the Black Rose. It is a real page-turner and the characters are pretty good and has depth and suspense all the way. Poor Soth!!!