4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful
Beautifully written, of course: enlightening, inspiring, emotionally and thoughtfully stirring. Great for anyone wanting a book of a new style or era.
Published 4 months ago by jaynem

1.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going
Have now read all of his books, only to solve the mystery as to why people loved this author. Don't get why though. I'm not the arty-farty type, so maybe that's why I wouldn't acclaim Mr Fitzgerald! Preferred the films, someone must have been interested enough to interpret or analyse his thoughts?
Published 12 months ago by L S

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 6 Jun 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going, 16 Oct 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, 26 April 2013
E. A. Banks (Ipswich, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Side of Paradise (Kindle Edition)
Amory Blaine turned out to be a tiresome individual and although I felt some sympathy for him when he got his heart broken, I still didn't really care too much what happened to him. In fact, two weeks later I have already forgotten how the story ended.
I find it hard to believe that this work is by the same author who wrote 'The Great Gatsby' which is an excellent book. This, by contrast is tedious and self indulgent. The more the author told me about Amory Blaine's opinions, the more I came to believe that they were his own opinions very thinly disguised as fiction. I have subsequently discovered that a lot of F Scott Fitzgerald's work is autobiographical and I was not surprised; in some places, this novel reads like a badly written diary. Still, this is his first novel and I suppose he needed to practice the writers art in order to become good later on.
If you are new to this author, you may very well enjoy this book. Do not make my mistake of reading 'Gatsby' first because this one just isn't in the same league.

This Side of Paradise