Living Things
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£11.78+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 5 July 2012
I just love the fact that Linkin Park have got the guts to try all these different sounds and hence not go 'stale'. I'm not one of those people who compare a new album to the last album, the second album or whatever. I believe every piece of work should be taken and enjoyed on it's own merit and it's own sound.In other words judge it for what it is and not what it's not. No it's not Meteora or Hybrid Theory or Thousand Suns, it's Linkin Park doing what they do best and exploring and experimenting and I love the fact they can still suprise me. I for one love every album they've ever done but for different reasons and different moods with each one. Let's face it if they all sounded the same we'd be moaning they playing on past glories and living in the past etc etc. Hope that doesn't sound like the ramblings of a madman but there you go, buy it and just imagine it's the first time you've ever heard them, I love it, hope you do to :)
on 3 July 2012
As most other Linkin Park fans were, I was extremely disappointed with their last effort A Thousand Suns. There were so many tracks on there that just didn't work for me, a lot of it was made up of noises and different sounds. There was 1, maybe 2 decent songs at best. It just wasn't Linkin Park, and I think the band admitted that they took a risk with it. In my opinion they've realised their mistake and tried to rectify it here.

Let me just say that if you were put off by that album, don't let it prevent you getting this one. This is a HUGE improvement. The best two things about it are that some familiar features from the old albums have returned in a lot of the tracks here- Mike's rapping and the heavy baslines that made Hybrid Theory and Meteroa so iconic. The first 6 tracks almost sound like they could be from those two albums, the only difference being a slightly more elecctronic hint to them. Their single Burn It Down is not bad, but I wouldn't say it's the best on there. I'll Be Gone and Powerless have 'single' written all over them for the future. I love the rapping in Lost in the Echo and Burn it Down too.

Linkin Park will probably never return to the style of their original album, but this is pretty damn close. It's not perfect- some of the tail end of the album is a bit average. Overall though it really is an excellent album, much much better than a Thousand Suns which will hopefully just turn out to be a blip in their progression. If anyone thought Linkin Park had gone for good, well, they're back!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 July 2012
I've been a fan of Linkin Park since Hybrid Theory, but I'll keep this review short.

This is the first album of theirs I've enjoyed for quite a few years - it's different but I like it. The best tracks in my opinion are Burn It Down and Castle of Glass. It's an enjoyable listen, but doesn't hit the same mark as Meteora or Hybrid Theory. (If you're starting out with Linkin Park, listen to those two first!)

Normally I'd give it four stars, perhaps, and leave it there - I like it, so why not? As the title of my review gives away, this album is not exactly a long, profound musical experience. At only 37 minutes, I've come to expect more for my money. I'm not saying it should match some great prog albums which fill a CD at 75 minutes in length, but come on. 37 minutes - half a CD! - is just a bit cheeky.

In short, is this worth a listen? Yes. Is it worth a tenner? Absolutely not.
on 30 June 2012
As other people have said- this is a great album. If I'm honest I think it's better than what I was expecting, after hearing 'Burn it down' and 'Lies Greed Misery' I thought they were good songs and was under the assumption that this would be a GOOD album, one that is enjoyable yet not the best I've ever heard. Then it arrived, and I heard the first few tracks, namely 'Lost in the echo' and was blown away. It had a heavyness to it that had been lacking on A Thousand Suns. Once I listened to the whole album I listened to it again, quite a few times. It is that good.

I guess the best way to describe Living Things is to imagine that it is an amalgamation of Linkin Park's previous album, everything they've done can be heard somewhere on each of these 12 songs. 'Lies Greed Misery' is a prime example: it has the electronic drive that can be found on 'Wretches and Kings' and 'When They Come For Me' off A Thousand Suns, yet its structure is similar to that of Hybrid Theory or Meteora: rapped lyrics on the verses by Mike, and then aggressive vocals from Chester on the chorus with Chester screaming on the outro. That too is another point, Chester's aggressive vocals are more present on Living Things yet there is an equal amount of him "properly" singing too. Guitars are also more present, 'Victimized' being a glaringly obvious example.

Also, while on A Thousand Suns I found the slower, more emotive songs to eventually be quite boring (I struggle now to listen to 'Iridescent') on Living Things the more emotive songs are some of my favourites on this album, in my opinion 'Powerless' is probably on of their best songs.

To sum up, I've contradicted to what I put as the title but this album has so much to talk about because there is so much on offer, there is a song here for any Linkin Park fan: there are heavy songs, emotive songs, Chester screaming, Chester singing, Mike rapping. The list could go on for much longer, it is simply a great album, I don't even know how it could improved. Buy this album, listen to the samples if you want, but you will not regret it - I promise.
VINE VOICEon 12 July 2012
Linkin Park's latest studio album sees something of a return to their roots following the divisive A Thousand Suns. Their last album still has an influence over the sound of some of the tracks here, but generally Living Things is more conventional Linkin Park than before.

The single release Burn It Down is arguably the song closest to the mainstream, and represents a sound similar to that featured on Minutes to Midnight and, at a push, Meteora. If you are hoping for a new Hybrid Theory (and a lot of fans are) then I don't think this album is quite there. But for me, that's not a huge problem as Linkin Park have grown and changed since then. I enjoyed much of A Thousand Suns, but thankfully Living Things is more chilled out and just a really good listen.

Lost In The Echo leads the way and is surely a future single release, and the album is rounded off by Powerless, a decent ballad. In between there is a lot of familiar stuff, with Victimized thrown in as a nice bit of angry rock to keep you on your toes. The overall feel is a little more electronic and I miss the more epic feel of the band's guitars and orchestral kicks in previous releases. But they are still great at what they do and Living Things is a great album for fans and anyone new to Linkin Park; it's a good starting point.
on 10 July 2012
Linkin Park have judged this one superbly, I think. It's a continuation of Thousand Suns musical development, but better, without any risk of losing the edge of their own trademark rock/rap vibe.

Linkin Park have figured out how to fuse guitars and electronica in yet another new way on this album. The use of drums and synths and metal riffs on Living Things doesn't sound like they bought a copy of the NIN recipe book although the depth of sound design here is comparably interesting. It doesn't sound like Moby joined Papa Roach either and it doesn't sound like Meteora simply updated with the presets you'd find in this season's best selling software synth.

What it sounds like is new and good, a blended and righteous thing in harmony with its own self. These are melodic and dynamic songs with tons of class and power. No-one else out there is doing this half as well. I hope Linkin Park stick to their musical guns and continue exercising their special power of innovation with rock/electronica because this album is all ten kinds of excellent. It breaks new ground with polished style and that is what I loved Linkin Park for in the first place.
on 2 July 2012
All I can say is that this is the best album from the best band.
Like most of the other albums, Mike Shinoda steals the show, closely followed by Chester Bennington, and then Rob Bourdon. Brad Delson, Joe Hahn and Pheonix are not very noticible in this album (except the part where Brad sings of course), but oh well. (Mike Shinoda's my favourite anyway).
Lost In The Echo - A great Mike rap with a great Chester chorus.
In My Remains - Rock, Chester sings most of it, but then Mike ends it.
Burn It Down - The only song on the album I don't love. Of course, it's Linkin Park, so it is still amazing, just not as good as the others. Fairly slow and level Chester all the way until Mike ends it with a single rap verse.
Lies Greed Misey - Back to the anger of the first two albums, angry Mike rap and even angrier Chester chorus.
I'll Be Gone - Chester all the way
Castle Of Glass - Very catchy chorus, Mike all the way, but this time Mike's singing instead of rapping, and he's still great at it.
Victimized - Heavy metal rock, very angry, best drum beat since When They Come For Me.
Roads Untravelled - Mike all the way, very sad, great meaning
Skin To Bone - Nothing much to say about this one, but still great, kinda catchy
Until It Breaks - The most original and one of the best tracks on the album. Mike Shinoda has a go at proper gangsta rap and Brad Delson (the guitar player) sings a sad verse.
Tinfoil - The only instrumental on the album, leads straight into Powerless, quite emotional.
Powerless - Chester ends the album with a slow, sad song.
All amazing all the way through. This seems like a great mix of Linkin Park's first angry style, their newer sad, slow and electronic style, Fort Minor (Mike Shinoda's epic rap group which only ever made one album, but some of the songs on this album definetly reminded me of them) and Dead By Sunrise (Chester Bennington's other band which also only ever made one album which was sad).
PS, if you haven't heard Fort Minor or Dead By Sunrise and you are fans of Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington, you should definetly check them out - Fort Minor's like a group of Mike Shinodas and Dead By Sunrise are a lot like Linkin Park
on 2 July 2012
I've been a hardcore fan of Linkin Park for a while, seen them live several times and they don't disappoint. Hybrid theory was such a revolutionary album that it didn't matter who you were or what you liked, pretty much everyone loved it. The next albums was just as good, but then things sort of changed when Minutes To Midnight came out, LP had changed direction a little bit and everyone was like WHAAAAAA?!?!?! It was like marmite, people either loved the new style they created or loved the old LP so much they weren't open to it. I was a bit iffy about it, it was a good album, but something was missing. When the other album came out, I don't even know the name; I didn't even bother buying it and thought that LP we're coming to end. But then I listened to "Burn it down" and I thought maybe they're back, and MY GOD THEY ARE BACK!!!!! Thinking about, for a band to keep going they need to evolve and this is what they have done, producing new exciting sounds with every album. I pre ordered this album pretty much straight away and it is AMAZING. It has a mixture of Old school Linkin Park in songs such as 'Victimize', 'Lies greed misery' and 'I'll be gone' but they've also delivered much more powerful new songs like 'Roads untravelled' 'Powerless' and 'Castle of glass'.

Conclusion, they have evolved from what they were but still not lost sight of what they're about, and it rocks. BUY THE ALBUM, you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!
on 25 June 2012
It's about time.

In the beginning there was Hybrid Theory and Meteora.
Then along came Minutes to Midnight, which I shall ever regard as the black sheep of the LP collection.
Three years later came A Thousand Suns, an album which I regard as art, and an amazing piece of work.
Now appears Living Things.

Combining the efforts of all four albums together, Living Things is Linkin Park "rebooted" for a new decade. This isn't another Hybrid Theory, nor is Minutes Part II or A Thousand Suns Part II. This is a unique body of work which some well-produced songs with matured-developed lyrics (remember, these guys are not young anymore!) For any die hard fans still crying and moaning about the evolution of this band, it's time to open your ears and remember the amazing musicianship this band has. Mike's rap, Chester's screams and melodic singing, Mr Hahn's electronic and turntable work, Brad and Phoenix's guitar and bass lines, Rob Bourdon's drumming mixed with the tribal sounds from ATS. It all comes together in an amazing package. If anyone hasn't listen to this yet, and wants to know what it sounds like; I'll say it kind of sounds like the bands Reanimation album from a decade ago, how everything was mixed, trashed and repackaged into a fun package of suns. But this goes deeper than that.

What are you waiting for!? Go buy this album now!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 July 2012
I am 99% sure this album will be a grower on me, so this review is just after a couple of listens.

I have always been a fan of Linkin Park, and loved ALL of thier albums, this one is fairly consistent, which I think makes it a little predictable.

That said, there are some really great tracks on there, I think 'Castle of Glass' follows on from earlier album's more melodic efforts, while Victimized is back to the more heavy hitting Meteora/Hybrid Theory'esque' sounds.

I was waiting for the WOW factor, and it hasn't come, yet! Looking back through all the previous LPs most of them have 2-3 back-to-back INCREDIBLE tracks; Thousand Suns had Wretches & Kings, Wisdom Justice & love, then Iridescent etc. I was looking for this album to have a similar journey, but not found it yet.

That said, invididual tracks are really good, and the album is worth a buy.

will always love listening to this talented group.