5.0 out of 5 stars Still keeps going -- different, but good
Published on 6 Oct 2012 by Sebastian Boecker

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments, just not that many.
As much as I love the first 3 series I can accept that shows must grow as do characters, but TBBT has grown into a generic Friends clone at the cost of it's quirkyness. I even enjoyed season 4 but the cracks were beginning to show. It seems such a shame because the show's premise can allow for the mining of comedy gold in areas that other sitcoms just can't go...
Published on 3 Sep 2012 by Portal Cake

5.0 out of 5 stars Still keeps going -- different, but good, 6 Oct 2012
I have read some of the reviews (in particular, the ones that are not too positive) and I have to say: It still makes me laugh out loud... :-) OK, this season has several week episodes: The back-and-forth episodes at the beginning of the second disk are pretty boring. Seems that they did not really have something for a complete episode, so these are just patchworks of small bits and pieces. But the first episodes and the last about eight are really fun to watch
One big point of discussion seems to be: Not enough science. Too much personal life. I do not care too much that the focus of the series has changed. People change. Repetition is boring. My other two beloved series (House, Monk) really got boring when it got to the fifth season. Because nothing changed. Just more of the same. Only different.
I am a scientist (somewhere between Sheldon and Bernadette in discipline) and I *love* to see good jokes about the scientific part of their lives. But we had loads of great, great jokes on that front that at least I will never forget ("Geology is not a real science!", and the spherical sheep in vacuum joke, and the dark side of the moon). But people from science should be allowed to have a personal life, to change, to develop. (Sorry for my bad English.) And the focus on the more personal stuff is just cool because otherwise, it would get repetitious. Leslie was great, but only for some time. Kripke is definitely great, but I would not want his rhotacism (just got that from Wikipedia) in every episode -- it is only this funny. So, yeah: If you love the characters, and if you think that "a little different" can still be good, then the fifth season is good for you. Full stop.
I am more worried about the sixth season: They are so happy showing Howard floating through the space station, there is hardly anything happening in the first episode. But I hope that what we have seen in the finale will produce, again, something new and pretty crazy. I have always liked Stuart, and it appears we are seeing a hell more of him now! ;-) And finally, Rajesh has found somebody to love... How sweet! I hope for the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments, just not that many., 3 Sep 2012

Why can't leonard have a major success which puts sheldon's nose out of joint? Why can't we see Raj's mammouth struggle to overcome his selective mutism? Why can't Howard build a thingymabob that allows him so much success that he puts Sheldon's name as a footnote in his memoirs? Why can't there be a reversal where Penny goes desperately chasing Leonard after Leonard comes to realise that she doesn't care for him as much as he does for her, such as stealing his mail, doing favours for him? Perhaps they even manage to fix the lift! Something as simple as that can change the dynamics of the show.

Instead we have stories about not getting a hair cut, fun with flags, confronting a bully, battling for an office, ruining a toy teleporter, going round to Wil Wheaton's house and bridesmaid dress shopping. This is not to say that some of the episodes are not funny. There are some terrific one liners and anything with Stuart from the comic book store is pure gold. But for every classic line about the bone density of an 80 year old man there is a truly desperate attempt for laughs about getting wood whilst playing Settlers Of Catan.

Sheldon used to be 80% genius, 20% child, now he's the opposite. Why does someone as popular and likeable as Penny spend so much time with nerds such as AFF and Bernadette? The show was how she bounced off 4 uber nerds, now there are 6 nerds on the show. Leonard has turned into an obnoxious douche. Howard is domesticated and lost his appeal.

With the show becoming more successful in this progression I can't see it coming back to what made it special in the first place. To do that they'd have to get rid of AFF and Bernadette for a start. Come on fellas, you can bring it back, just get creative rather than going through the motions!!

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 Seasons in, still going strong..., 14 Nov 2012
I'll probably never get tired of the Big Bang Theory. In my opinion, one of the best sitcoms ever. With that said....Season 5 is a bit weaker than Season 1-3 (therefore only 4 stars) but probably on par with Season 4. That's still waaay ahead of your average sitcom, therefore definitely a buying recommendation!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but still funny, 5 May 2012
Anthony Green "cascode" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
The first 3 seasons of TBBT were pure gold, season 4 was an amalgum of gold and silver, but right from episode 1 of season 5 there has been something not quite "right". The pacing seems to be off and and I just don't laugh as much.

However, regardless of how much anyone may criticise season 5 it is several orders of magnitude funnier than any other sitcom currently on air. The show might be coasting along on autopilot at the moment but in comparison to anything else it still sparkles.

Also, on repeated viewings it is funnier. TBBT has always had great repeat viewing strength (like all great comedy) but I didn't "get" a lot of season 5 until I'd watched it twice - my wife thought so as well. Does that mean the scripts are not as well written? It certainly isn't the acting, which is as good as ever.

So overall, not as good as past series, but still funny and worth viewing. 8/10

3.0 out of 5 stars Glory days have gone, 25 Aug 2012
I loved TBBT from the start, buying my boxsets from the US because they weren't coming out in the UK fast enough, the world stopped when BBT was on, watching the +1 channel to laugh all over again ..... that was my life through seasons 1 to 3, season 4 was a bit .... hmmm, I'll catch it when it repeats later during the week, Season 5 was tivo'd for later on .... oh, the laughs were there, but not as laugh out loud - more a polite titter. "Shelly" and Lactose Lenny still my favourite odd couple and get the most laughs, but I hate to say it, being a gal myself but the ladies have kinda upset the Nerd chemistry!! I still love TBBT, but was hoping for a few more good seasons before it got that tired feeling!!! Would always recommend the early seasons to everyone though .......

3.0 out of 5 stars Running out of ideas fast, 5 May 2012
If The Big Bang Theory was a band, I'd be opening this review with 'I prefer their earlier, less commercial stuff'. Seasons 3 and 4 had some hints of dumbing down the science and nerd references in exchange for a Friends clone, but series 5 takes this further than ever. Far too many episodes are revolving around the kind of trivialities and thin stereotypes of virtually every other sitcom. When the first 5 minutes of a series manage to ruin one of the best gags of the previous series (Sheldon's 'what does it look like?' reaction to the aftermath of Penny and Raj's ill-advised hookup), you know you're in trouble.

Plus, a lot of plot ideas are being repeated. Difficulties with voice-activated phones? Done in season 1. Barry Kripke's speech impediment? Done every time he's featured, and just childish anyway. Howard and Raj's bromance? Amy's strange relationship with Penny? Nothing new there. Howard has become far too watered-down and domesticated in recent seasons, and I can't help thinking Bernadette has always taken far more out of the show than she's added. The whole he's-Jewish-she's-Catholic thing doesn't have as much comic mileage as the writers seem to think. Amy can be irritating but does at least give extra comic direction to discuss female matters from a Sheldony perspective - when used properly. Her obsessive commissioning of a painting of Penny to supposedly cement their friendship is certainly not proper use.

Admittedly, I've enjoyed rewatching series 4 on DVD far more than I did when it was first on TV, so maybe this will happen again. It's just hard to see there being too many hidden character subtleties or multi-layered jokes as there once were.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Michelle (Dunfermline, Fife) - See all my reviews
Another great series! Never disappointing!

5.0 out of 5 stars bazinger, 3 Jun 2014
It was great to watch them all in order with no adverts and when we wanted to. Downloaded before we went on holiday - great idea

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Great Great, 29 May 2014
Good value and great TV series.

Would recommended to anyone who is a bit of a geek or closet geek!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Gift Purchase, 5 April 2014
This was a gift to a fan of Big Bang Theory who is collecting the series.
She has thoroughly enjoyed Season 5. many Thanks