1,314 Reviews

Published on 31 July 2012 by L. Hubbard

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, poor packaging.
Published 7 months ago by Yolo Swaggins

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, reliable, portable and silent. The best portable hard drive for the money., 31 July 2012
L. Hubbard (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Yet another fantastic hard drive by Western Digital - this is the second that I have. Like the previous reviewer said, just plug and play and it's ready to go. One other point of note is that it is USB 3.0 (and backwards compatable with USB 2). Essentially, this just means that for computers with USB 3.0 slots, your data transfer speed will be a lot faster. I have two of these for different reasons - transferring files from home (mac) to work (windows) and vice versa. No issues with differences in operating system. The second reason is to use it to back up files using Time Machine on the Mac. For both of these functions, the drive is silent and works perfectly. I have no hesitations for recommending this for both Windows and Mac users, with speed, reliability and silence just three of the many reasons to pick this as one of the best portable hard drives you can buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can be used as an external boot disk on a Mac, 3 Nov 2012
Even though there is every reason to expect any external hard drive to be usable as a boot disk on a Mac, these days some manufacturers perform tweaks to their drives (such as omitting certain components from USB controllers to further reduce the size of the drives) that inadvertently prevent them from being bootable on a Mac.

Samsung's S2 portable drives and even some of Western Digital's own FireWire drives come to mind.

Prior to buying this drive, which at the time of this review is currently the only widely available 2TB USB 3.0 bus-powered portable hard drive, I was unable to find any information online about whether it boots a Mac, so I finally decided to try it out for myself.

I am happy to report that this drive (Western Digital My Passport 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive) can indeed be successfully used to boot a Mac, via both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.

For best results (and especially if booting is required) on a Mac, you'll need to first format the drive using Apple's Disk Utility, as with other drives that have not been pre-formatted for the Mac. This can take from under a minute to a couple of minutes at most.

If desired, Disk Utility can be used to create multiple partitions on this drive, one or more of which can be made bootable by either installing OS X onto it, or cloning an existing bootable partition.

Hope this helps others who may be looking for this information before their purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, poor packaging., 8 Mar 2014
Yolo Swaggins (Cumbria, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The 2TB My Passport arrived perfectly on time, but I was very concerned at the packaging ( take a look [...] ) - There was no bubble wrap, just the plastic container the drive was packaged with, and what I'm guessing is Amazon's "frustration free" packaging. This is completely inappropriate to ship a delicate piece of equipment like this, and I'm guessing this may have been one of the reasons the drive had failed on me.

When I first got the drive I was also disappointed with the cable length, I had read the reviews which claimed it to be "short", but I had no idea that meant it was no more than 2 inches long. This meant it would have to sit on top of my computer, while plugged into my front USB 2.0 ports (which are occupied), so I ordered a 3m USB 3.0 cable which arrived within a few days.

After receiving the new cable, I began copying my non-sensitive files onto the drive, but after a minute the drive made a loud beep/click as if the head got stuck, and this caused my file transfer to crash. (I think it dropped out because it crashed).

I tried to safely remove the drive but got an error, so I removed the USB from my computer. I plugged the drive back in to see if it was still functional, it took a few minutes for windows' My Computer to recognize it, which set off a big red flag for me. I began trying to copy my files again, and the same thing happened again, making a beep/click within just a minute of starting the transfer.

After replugging the drive a final time, it refused to be recognized, My Computer would just stall loading if the drive was plugged in. I got the same results on my other PC's, including with the old cable, leading me to believe the drive had crashed, or had a serious firmware bug.

I'm currently awaiting a refund from Amazon, and I'm unlikely to purchase this My Passport model after this unfortunate experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Giving up on this. Will not be buying WD again., 16 May 2014
The drive disconnects itself. Typically when transferring files. The really terrible thing is that it will appear to have copied over files but it actually HASN'T. E.g. you are backing up another hard drive and it disconnects in the middle of one file being copied over. When you reconnect (i.e. physically unplug and plug it back in, then unlock the drive), that file appears to have finished writing to the disk, so you can just continue from there, right? WRONG. The file will display as though it is there, it will even show the same file size as the original, but it has NOT copied correctly. For that reason this drive is NOT SAFE even for backups and impossible to use for any other purpose due to its constant disconnects.

I have searched far and wide for solutions to this problem. Lots of different people claim to have fixed the issue, by downloading this or that driver, rolling back to this version, changing power management settings, etc. WD's only response is to send out a replacement cable (the cable is NOT the issue, I have used several including the original and a Y-cable and the same thing happens). The firmware updater from their site does not fix the issue either.

A lot of people seem to be having this problem, but not everyone. There must be a problem with quality control at WD because there seem to be a lot of defective drives bearing their name. Pretty sure it's not a driver or firmware issue anyway since my 500GB WD drive, which I've had for years, runs on the same PC and has NEVER had any problem like this. It's a problem with the hard disk itself. I have tried every 'solution' I have found and nothing works, so I am giving up. This drive is totally useless to me. I wasted my money on an unusable hard disk. I will not be buying from WD again, I can't trust them.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok for the money, 11 Feb 2013
The instructions are not very good when your not a techno person. It took a few times to get it to work. It now has loaded my data successfully. However the fault seems to be in the flimsy lead that comes with it, i am sure if i buy a better lead it will work better. The speed is pretty quick just dont touch anything once its loading otherwise it stops, For the money its a good little gadget, once you figure out how to use it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted a year and then broke losing all data, 12 Feb 2014
Product worked fine until suddenly one day it didn't. Plugged it in to the computer and it didn't recognise it, just had a flashing white light. I googled the problem and it seems many, many other people have suffered the same problem.

i phoned WD and all they said was that I could pay for data recovery (despite their equipment breaking). No word of whether it was fixable and didn't seem overly bothered by my data loss.

Looks like I've lost 20,000 photos which are either gone permanently or will require an expensive test to attempt to get back.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, 8 July 2012
Take no notice of negative comments. This drive is great. Don't often write comments but thought I would for this. Its small, huge capacity (have the 1Terabyte), noiseless, petite, unobtrusive and fast. When I first got it it set about transferring the categories I wanted it to. Reckoned that it was 80G. Speed was at 77MB/sec...........thats about 4.45GB/min. Quite fast. As for the software, whats wrong with it..........its clever and nice looking. So its good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little thing!, 26 May 2012
Caroline P. (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This drive is a marvel - 2 whole terrabytes of data in something you can slip into your pocket. It's dimensions are 11cm x 8cm x 2cm. As such, it's not very well padded and a case is probably a good investment. I did have some problems getting it work properly but don't let it put you off as that seems to be down to my own PC. I ran several Google searches and similar problems are clearly extremely rare. Having said that, just in case you have a similar setup I've described the issue further down. But for the vast majority of people, it will be irrelevant.

The built-in software on this drive is intended for data backup only. It doesn't and cannot backup your entire system. For most people this is absolutely fine - it is your data which is really the precious stuff after all. Techie types who want system backups will probably have their own favourite software anyway. It is a routine thing to re-partition the drive and setup your own sytem. WD even provide instructions. Actually, you may not want to do that. The security built in to the drive is probably worth keeping (especially on so portable a drive), so just use some of the spare space how you want. You can choose whether or not to install Smartware during setup.

If you're happy with data backup only, then you have two ways of doing it. You can let the Smartware take care of finding all your data files wherever they're hiding, or you can choose which drives and folders you want to back up. In my opinion, this is the best of both worlds - I hate trusting something to choose what to back up when I have my own idiosyncratic filing system, but beginners will be happy with the "no-brainer" aspect of just letting Smartware get on with it. If you keep the Passport attached, it will backup your files and all your changes in the background. If you remove the drive in order to keep your backup elsewhere (a very good idea) then it will resume backing up all changed files each time you plug it in.

Retrieving files is also pretty straightforward. If it's the computer on which the software is installed you can choose to retrieve files to a separate folder in Documents (especially useful if you're retrieving older copies) or you can simply have them restored to wherever they were backed up from. Smartware keeps a copy of the last five versions of your files by default but, again, you are free to change this to more or fewer. For the technically savvy, you can just go and fish the files off the backup drive - they're stored, plain and simple, in their file structure with their proper names. It's the whole drive that is security protected not the backup itself. Very nice.

So what if it's a new machine or a new hard drive? Plug in the drive and the security autoruns and asks you for the password if you have set one (which you really should do!). You can install the Smartware to access your files through that interface, or just navigate around the Passport and find the files you want.

Incidentally, it's perfectly possible to use this Passport drive as a backup for a number of machines.

An annoying wrinkle which had me floored at first: sometimes Smartware comes up with the Backup and Retrieve tabs greyed out and disabled. After much head-scratching and finally a Google search, I discovered that if you click on the Passport drive icon on the main screen all is well. An odd oversight in useability.

Overall, this is an excellent piece of kit. I really like the flexibility WD have built in; you can plug and go if you just want a simple backup system but if you have exacting demands of your own, the flexibility is there. And it's tiny. Did I mention it's tiny? It's also quite an expensive purchase of course. WD do Passport drives in smaller sizes - 500gb & 1gb - which will be plenty for very many people and quite a bit cheaper.

Hardware issue mentioned above
------------------------------
I'm running a very standard Windows 7 64-bit installation on a popular Gigabyte motherboard (GA-P55A-UD3) using an NEC USB 3.0 controller. It is a couple of years old and it is a relatively 'early' incarnation of USB 3.0, so there maybe something in that. I had multiple problems getting the drive recognised and running properly but they all seemed to go away by a change in the BIOS setting. The motherboard is set to AUTO recognise SATA 3 and/or USB 3 hardware. My experience has been that both work only intermittently - I installed an SSD on the SATA 3 ports and it was recognised by the BIOS maybe one time in three (not helpful for a boot drive...). USB3 seemed to give me a similar problem. Most of the time the drive just wasn't recognised as existing (although oddly a USB 3 scanner doesn't have a similar problem). The solution? I changed the BIOS setting to 'TURBO USB 3' (forget the exact words) and it seems to have solved the problem - but do reboot a second time before connecting the Passport.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont listen to negative feedback. This is amazing drive, 16 Aug 2012
Suresh Kumar (London) - See all my reviews
BEfore buying this drive i read lot of reviews in internet and amazon as well. so many people said wrong about the software and mostly that is the main disadvantage everyone felt. At last i decided to give it a try and now i have it. If anyone say there is a problem with the smartware software , that means they doesnt know how to deal with it.

q: Some say the password protection is not working..
a: actually the password protection is working properly but the thing is when you set the password for the first time, while typing without your knowledge the typing cursor moves to next field. So if you dont notice that closely while you type the password itself you set something else other than the real password in your mind.

q: backup doesnt have schedule.
a: actually you can set timer, there is an option in it which schedule your back up when system is idle or else install the software and uncheck everything in download option. So it wont download anything. come on people. you have to look every option inside.

There are lot of strange things people saying about this. But please dont listen to them. you can even keep this drive as traditional drag and drop drive by deleting all the softwares given by WD at first.

Verdict: This is perfect drive . Dont listen to cynical people who just didnt fully explore it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact fast high capacity, 20 May 2012
D. Clarke "Dragonthoughts" (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This little drive is amazingly small for any drive, let alone a 2TB capacity drive. Its basic functionality is trivially easy to install on a Windows 7 PC. Just plug it into a USB 2 or USB 3 port.

Being made by Western Digital, this drive should be reliable. It is in a sleek black casing, slightly larger than my hand and about the same thickness.

It comes with its own encryption software that can be set up very easily so that the drive can not be decrypted without a password, but you can set it to be tied to your own windows user account, so it works with the account, without asking for a password each time.

On the downside on my low powered laptop, the encryption/decryption software seems to take a large percentage of my processor, hence the the loss of a star.

It is pretty quick when connected to a USB 2 port, but when connected to a USB 3 port on a fast PC, it is faster than the current generation of SATA II internal drives, and almost as fast as the new generation of SATA III drives. It peaks at about 5Gb/sec while SATA III peaks at about 6 Gb/sec.

WD My Passport 500GB Portable Hard Drive - White