4.5 out of 5 stars1,548
Colour Name: Blue|Size: 500GB|Change
Price:£53.99+ £10.20 shipping

VINE VOICEon 20 May 2012
Colour Name: Black|Size: 2TB|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This little drive is amazingly small for any drive, let alone a 2TB capacity drive. Its basic functionality is trivially easy to install on a Windows 7 PC. Just plug it into a USB 2 or USB 3 port.

Being made by Western Digital, this drive should be reliable. It is in a sleek black casing, slightly larger than my hand and about the same thickness.

It comes with its own encryption software that can be set up very easily so that the drive can not be decrypted without a password, but you can set it to be tied to your own windows user account, so it works with the account, without asking for a password each time.

On the downside on my low powered laptop, the encryption/decryption software seems to take a large percentage of my processor, hence the the loss of a star.

It is pretty quick when connected to a USB 2 port, but when connected to a USB 3 port on a fast PC, it is faster than the current generation of SATA II internal drives, and almost as fast as the new generation of SATA III drives. It peaks at about 5Gb/sec while SATA III peaks at about 6 Gb/sec.
on 5 August 2012
I bought this to replace a WD MyBook which suddenly decided to stop working during the transfer of backed up data from my old PC to a new one. The first thing I did was connect the My Passort to my old PC and manually copy off the data I wanted, a process that took under 30 minutes, as did transferring the same data to the new PC from the WD. Having safely achieved that I connected the device to the new PC and downloaded the software - it seems to me that if you've bought the wherewithal to have automatic backups it's daft to faff around backing up data yourself.

For those of you who haven't used one of these before, as I hadn't, a word of warning. I have two hard drives in my new PC and I failed to select the correct one for backup, resulting in the wrong drive's data being copied to the WD. I should of course have spent more time looking at the users' guide; when I did so I was informed that the initial backup screen only appears once, when you first install the software. So I had to delete the wrong drive's data from the WD and then uninstall and reinstall all of the software to start over. At least that was a doddle with no complications, and the second time around I set it up correctly, although backing up the data for the first time, using the backup software, took a lot longer than copying it manually. For anyone who might be nervous about the automatic backup not covering all the folders you want to secure, don't be. Once you've selected the drive you want you simply tick all of the folders on that drive that you want to back up. It's as straightforward as that, although it would appear that you can only back up from one hard drive. You then end up with a single top-level folder in the WD and by drilling down you can see all the folders and files as they are on your PC.

The problems I've mentioned thus far were down to me, admittedly, but I have to confirm what other people have mentioned about passwording the device. It simply doesn't work, or at least it didn't on mine. You get a screen inviting you to enter a password, along with the usual dire warnings of what might happen if you don't. Fortunately I have no need to secure my data, otherwise I'd have been out of luck. The password field only allowed 6 characters. There was room for more, but typing more didn't work. In case I'd done something wrong I deleted what I'd entered and tried again; this time it only allowed 5 characters! Third attempt - back to 6. I gave up.

The software allows you to select anything up to 5 versions of any data you back up, which might be useful for some people, and backing up as you go seems to work perfectly. I created a test Word document and saved it and when I looked on the WD, there it was. The WD also gives you an option to back up while the computer is idle.

So overall it seems to be a neat piece of kit and the only reason I've knocked off a star is because it comes with with documentation other than a guarantee and a rather useless picture showing you that you need to plug it into your computer. A quick-start quide would be really useful, or at the very least a warning that once you've done the initial backup you can't undo it.
on 21 August 2013
I needed a large capacity, easily portable external hard drive.

The Western Digital (WD) My Passport has been an excellent choice.

It is very small and light, easily and comfortably resting in my hand. Thanks in part to its USB3 connection, it is extraordinarily fast, much more so that than the year-old WD My Book of similar capacity which is has replaced. Better yet, It does not require a separate power supply, instead drawing all it needs from the supplied USB cable.

When in use, it is virtually silent. There is a bright, flashing white LED at the top which indicates that it is connected.

In order to protect the drive when travelling, I purchased the AmazonBasics Hard Black Carrying Case for My Passport Essential, which I have reviewed separately.

I would not hesitate to purchase another if I required further external storage capacity.
on 14 August 2012
The form factor of these drives is different from the older designs (like the shiny piano black 250Gb Passport I've still got kicking around), and isn't prone to finger prints. I deleted the bundled software as soon as I had it attached.. so can't comment on that :) Windows 7 picked up some WD driver update soon after I'd had it & I'm not sure what that fixes.

Performance was okay (over USB 2), but didn't blow me away.. wasn't expecting much & I'm happy with it as is. The cable is a little stiff; I guess some of the USB3 wiring beefs it up a bit. I've not got a USB3 compatible PC to test it out with, but I'm not really that bothered.

Does what it says on the tin and gives you about 930Gb of space when it's NTFS formatted (which is how it gets delivered).

Hoping the 2 I've bought will last as long as the older WD drive I have.. if they don't I'll re-visit this review :-D
on 4 October 2012
I bought one of these some time ago and it did work but the continuous backup slowed my machine down badly so I disconnected the drive, only connecting it again one evening a week so it would backup overnight. That seemed fine, but my computer still seemed to run slowly - even though the disk was not attached and its software not running. Eventually I realised that it must have installed some sort of device driver that was hindering the action of the Windows driver, and so I uninstalled altogether. It worked - the computer now runs much quicker. I now use the drive as a backup device under Windows Backup, and it works fine. So, nice drive, shame about the software!
on 11 August 2012
I purchased two of these 2TB USB3 disks and they are great. I am pleased the activity LED is now super bright. Sadly the supplied USB cable is a bit mean... about 50cms long. All in all, I'm happy.

But...

I did a full format (six hours!) and was disappointed to see the initial 120 Mb/sec (fantastic) drop to about 90 Mb/sec when half way through and end up at 58 Mb/sec at the end.

I have now researched this characteristic and it appears common to all little disk drives. As the disk fills up, so the disk throughput slows down. This is because the speed of the data passing under the read/write heads is slower as you move nearer the centre of the disk.

Initial Acronis backups of my SSD confirm the disk is both reading and writing at about 100 Mb/sec... but the disk is still 75% empty!

So... don't buy this disk on the basis of some 'expert' review who says he/she measured 120 Mb/sec. Buy this disk because it averages 86 Mb/sec, is physically small, has a 2Tb (unformatted) capacity, is USB powered, is made a respectable company and costs only £120 + VAT.
77 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2012
Bought this to replace my old HD which was the size of a house brick, found this to be great value for money. Its incredibly light weight and perfectly portable as you can fit it in your pocket, which is great as my old HD had a power cable which was soo much hassle. It comes with a USB 3.0 to 2.0 cable and i have noticed a higher transfer rate. If you're using on a Mac you do have to reformat the drive the first time you plug it in, but thats not much of an inconvenience. Also it comes with WD's own backup software with security features but this program doesnt work on Mac which dosent matter as Macs have Time Machine. All in all i strongly recommend this HD as its nicley designed, very light and not too expensive in relation to other 500gb drives. Definitely worth buying!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 May 2012
I already have a couple of the 1TB "My Passport " drive, and I am very pleased to see this 2TB version.

I have USB3.0 ports on my PC so the speed of this drive is excellent - as would be expected. It is also fully USB2.0 compatible.

The drive comes with the WD software - I know some users like it and some users don't. What I did with my 1TB drives : one I reformatted completely without the WD software, so that I could use it simply as a removeable/portable media and exchange files with other users (without them needing to install WD software). I kept the second drive with the WD software, to give password protection and to take advantage of the back-up software.

I very much like the finish on this 2TB drive, it has a matt effect, and looks as if it will wear better then the very glossy finish on the 1TB drives.
Overall the case also feels more sturdy on the 2TB drive then on the 1TB, as if the material is slightly thicker.

The 2TB drive is a couple of millimetres taller (thicker) than the 1TB drive, but seems to fit all the same cases, particularly the Western Digital Nomad Rugged Case for My Passport Hard Drive. This 2TB drive definitely fits the rugged case - I am using them together.

I am very happy with this purchase.
on 27 August 2012
This drive was great when used as a backup, when restoring the OS on my laptop, and worked like a dream, truly plug in and play. The quick delivery meant that I was pleasantly surprised by the arrival of the hard drive upon my door. The drive has good read/write speeds in USB 2.0, the same that any other USB 2.0 drive would deliver. The drive is extremely quiet and cool to touch after a couple of hours of copying 100's of GB's of data to it.I have not yet tested out the USB 3.0 features on the drive due to the fact that I do not have a compatible USB 3.0 computer.

Overall this hard drive is great for all your needs, from using it as a backup, expanding storage space, or as a big USB stick.
on 1 July 2012
Doubtful at first glans, quality, size, speed, noise. Impressed with ease of use, was concerned about compatibility issues with MBP which was unjust. This work seamlessly with USB 3 on MacBook Pro. The device is slightly "chunkier" than imagined, however relative to its virtual size there is no compromise. The case has rubber feet instead of plastic canceling out any vibrations caused by the HDD. Solid USB 3 connection that connects firmly to the device in case of accidental nudges. The overall quality feel of the device could be better but better than most competitors with similar pricing. Great value for money! Would defiantly recommend this device to anyone looking for a large storage solution that is portable.