5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Impressed so far!
After spending years using inkjet all in one printers, choosing different brands to find the one that is reliable and reasonable to run, I thought I had with the Kodak range of new so called low cost inks, blah blah blah. But that failed me many times with poor print quality, wasted ink through printed cleaning etc, unable to use black in without the colour! rip off...
Published 20 months ago by Mr. K. Kent

Published 2 months ago by Freestyler

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Impressed so far!, 27 Aug. 2013
Mr. K. Kent "Kenty" (England,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer (Accessory)
Anyway that got side kicked and I plumped for this HP1102w after reading some good reviews, I was unsure about mono but after years of hassle with colour printers and a small business I now have, I thought it would do. It does more than will do! I am blown away by the quality of the print and the speed of delivery of the print is unreal! The days are gone when the printer is doing its noisy printing stuff which seemed like a age, with the HP1102w it is rapid, almost seems like it prints a blank page! The page when it prints just glides out, no print head going from left to right for ages.
Putting the printers IP address accesses the settings page which tells you how many prints you have run off so far amongst other information. which is handy.
The printer is a lot smaller than I was expecting fitting in to any situation,looking neat and stylish being black.
The paper loading tray is at the bottom and holds plenty of paper.
Setting up was a breeze, I was set up with wireless in 20 minutes, the setup process even found my wireless password automatically, so no hassle what so ever for me!

The only negative was the eprint feature was a hassle to setup, I couldn't seem to find enough information about it and how to find the printers email address. Basically the Eprint feature allows you to send a document, email,web pages etc by email to your printer. It can also be done with a smart phone app.

The only thing I can think that is lacking and would improve this printer is a built in display screen which I must admit I miss, it seems not a lot can be done at the printer end ie printer maintenance, check ink level, cartridge change,paper align, etc but hopefully this printer will be mainly hassle free so this feature isn't needed like with inkjet printers.
The only thing I have found that can be done at the printer end is a test info page by holding down the X button for a few seconds,
a warning though, give a chance for the printer to respond when doing this and waiting for Eprint and sometimes wireless prints.
It isn't instantaneous sometimes so you could end up with many prints if impatient!

Really hoping I have found a printer that will serve me for many years.
For now I would greatly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine on Mac OSX 10.8.2 - and prints 3"x5" Index cards!, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: HP P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer (Accessory)
Having read many of the complaints and bad reviews of this product (especially about the set up process) I was a little worried when I took the plunge. How "hard" could the set up really be?

If you don't know anything about computers then yes, this printer might be a pain. Installation is not plug in, power on, and you're done, no - there is an actual set up process. Unless of course you're just using it as a USB printer in which case it might well be plug and play. But if you want to set it up on the Wireless network and on Mac OSX then here was my experience and tips.

==Installation==

First of all, yes, you will need a Windows Laptop (or Windows Bootcamp) to do the initial set up. Start by removing all the packaging material from the printer (including all the ones inside). Plug in and power on. Next, connect the windows laptop to the printer via the usb cable provided. This should start the installation process. If not, the USB connection acts as a drive, double click "My Computer" and you should see the HP Installation Software. Start it and it will walk you through the installation process.

If you can't find the drive, try unplugging the USB cable, pause, and try again.

During the set up procedure it will install the drivers to your windows laptop, after which it will then walk you through the wireless set up (Install for wireless printing) and ePrint setup. If/when it asks you for your selection of "Automatically Find Network Settings" or "Manual/Advanced" I clicked on advanced (which isn't so advanced) really you just choose your network and enter the password, it will then try to connect to the wireless network and you're done.

If you want to add the printer to another windows laptop, then on that laptop, click on "Devices and Printers" and "Add Printer" and then choose "Network, wireless, and bluetooth" printers, it will then show a list of available printers. Find the P1102w and follow the instructions.

Note: If you have installed the drivers, but want to change the network configuration later, you can access it by going to the Windows Start Menu -> Programs -> HP -> Wireless Configuration. Which will walk you through the wireless set-up again.

==Mac Setup==

Now stroll over to your Mac, I have an iMac with osx 10.8 installed, so the following instructions may differ if you're using an older/newer version - but here it goes.

Click on the Apple Symbol (top left) and go down to "System Preferences", now click on "Print and Scan". Chances are your printer list is either empty or full of printers that you have used previously, don't worry about that, at the bottom left of the box is a '+' symbol for you to add a printer. Click on it and a new window will pop up showing all available printers. If your P1102w is connected to the network and ON (make sure its on, by default it stays on for only 5 mins! - Very annoying!) then it should show up automatically.

Now highlight the printer you want to use and a drop-down menu bar that allows you to choose what printing method you can use - mine automatically chose "AirPrint". While there is a bigger emphasis on Apple computers to use AirPrint, I found AirPrint to be awful. It would take several minutes for the file to print, if at all. So instead, click on the drop down bar and choose "HP Laserjet Professional P1100W, 5.0" or whatever HP driver shows up. This then starts the HP installation process for your mac. Once the drivers have been installed the printer is now set up for use.

Now open your favourite word processing document and bash out a few words and try to print. If it isn't your default printer then you will have to go to "file"->"print" and manually choose your printer. If it's your only printer set up on your mac then you can just hit the print icon. Now print something (again, make sure the printer is on!).

Here, I found the difference between the "Airprint" and "HP Laserjet" drivers. If you set-up using airprint, chances are it does nothing - you sit there waiting and waiting, on the other hand if you chose the HP drivers, then printing is almost instant. Yes, almost instant, it starts printing almost as soon as you let go of the mouse click.

Finally, lets get rid of that awful "5 minute auto off" - If you closed your printer settings window, go back and open it. "Apple Icon" -> "System Preferences" -> "Print & Scan" and double click on your printer. A new window will pop open, that's your print queue. Now click on the "Settings" icon, and in the middle of the pop-up window is "Show Printer Webpage" click on it and a new browser window will appear that connects to the printer over the network (make sure the printer is on!). Then head over to the settings tab where you'll find the auto-off set to 5-mins. Change it to whatever you want, but for me 30 mins is fine. Hit apply and you're done. Feel free to explore any other settings you want to change.

And you're done.

Note: When you turn on the printer, it takes a moment for the printer to be recognized by the network, it then takes a moment for the Mac to find the printer on the network, so the first print job might take a minute - but after that, following print jobs are instant.

Note: If you want to change the Auto Off settings in windows - then either: Go to the Windows "Start Menu"->"Programs"->"HP"->"HP ePrint" and it will automatically open a browser window to the printer's webpage or alternatively manually type the IP Address of your printer into your browser (assuming you know it, or know how to look it up).

===Extra tips!===

Added: 5 Nov 2013

According to more recent reviews the printer now comes with Mac Drivers. No need for a windows computer for the installation process.

If you let the printer go into sleep on its own, you can wake it just by sending something to print! ~Awesome.

If you find yourself having to re-install the printer whenever you restart the modem/router (because the printer's network address keep changing), be sure to change your router settings so that your printer has a "static" (non-changing) IP address.

I also managed to figure out how to work the Duplexing (two sided printing), its easy once you know how.

If you're using Word go to File -> Print -> "Copies and Pages" -> "Layout" -> Select "Two-Sided: Long Edge Binding" and then print. It'll print off a bunch of one sided pages. DO NOT CHANGE THE ORIENTATION OR PAGE ORDER. Just lift out the stack of pages as is and stick it back in the paper tray. Lift the toner lid and close it again. It'll then print off the other side. Once it's finished you'll have double sided print! Great for printing off long forms.

If you're viewing a PDF in Preview (Mac) and you want to print double-sided go to "Print" and next to "Copies" is a "Two-Sided" check box - check it. Now print, and follow the same procedure as before. Lift out. Stick in. Lift Lid. Close Lid. Et Voila.

(Btw, I've had the printer 8 months now and still happy with it.)

==Printer First Impressions==

So far I am very happy with the purchase, the printer works perfectly on my Mac, its small, smart, compact, and best of all it prints on 3"x5" index cards, which was the main reason why I bought this printer. Set up process took about an hour (less if I had read this review first!).

There is the duplexing option on the Mac, but unfortunately it is manual, and ... buggy. It involves printing off one side of the pages, reloading the pages, and hitting a non-existent go button (the work around is to lift the toner lid, and closing it again, strange I know). If you're looking for a fully automatic duplexing printer then you might want to look elsewhere.

While not been using the printer long, it is small and compact and perfect for the occasional printing. The toner cartridges are expensive, ~£50 when I last checked. But these should last a long time if you're only printing every now and then. Chances are I won't need to replace it for a year or two - but if you're print happy, then you might want to consider the running costs.

Overall, very happy with my purchase, and not sure what all the fuss was about. It worked fine for me.

PS: If you're deciding between this printer (Sold by Amazon) and the other one currently listed (that is a pound cheaper) make sure you buy the one sold by Amazon. I have read reviews that the cheaper one sold by a third party distributor does not come with a genuine HP toner cartridge - and therefore no warranty. While the one sold by Amazon has not been tampered with and comes with an original HP toner. It's not worth saving a pound if you're gonna get ripped off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac User: 5 Stars - Here are the Tips, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: HP P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer (Accessory)
Great printer. Smallish footprint and works great with Mac once you get your head around it. Here is what I did to get it working wirelessly.

1) Set Firefox to be your Default Browser (NOT SAFARI!!)
2) Connect printer to Mac using USB and install from disk.
3) Visit [...]
- Search for 1102w firmware and find the firmware mac (dmg) update (there was 2 when I did it one for windows and .exe file and .dmg for mac). Download run and install.
4) Open system preferences and go to print & scan, select the printer from the left, and click options and supplies, then utility, open HTML.
5) In the HTML configuration go to networking tab and select wireless on the left.
- Select your wireless network from the list of Available Networks (SSID) and press the << button to copy the network to the "Current Network Name" box.
- Compete the authentication selction with your network passwords.
- Click Apply at the bottom, then OK on the next screen
6) Select bonjour from the left hand menu
- Check enable bonjour
- Click Apply at the bottom, then OK on the next screen
7) OPTIONAL: I then set my printer in the IPv4 congifurator to have a manual ip address
8) Back to System Prefs on the Mac and Print and Scan.
- Click the + button under the list of printers and your new printer should be shown in the list of nearby printers.
- Dont install yet, first delete the printer from the box above by selecting it and pressing the - button.
9) Now install the wireless printer via the + sign and viola! - Wireless printer installed that works with iPad, iPhone and your Mac.
10) OPTIONAL: - Throw USB cable in a drawer somewhere, with all the other cables you no longer use.

The whole thing shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Printing is a breeze. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value Printer - Easy to use & set up, 2 Sept. 2012
This review is from: HP P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer (Accessory)
Bought to replace a Laserjet 4 that had kept going for 20 years so I did feel some loyalty to the brand. I was a little concerned by some of the reviews reporting problems with wireless set up as I'm not a techie, however, it was a feature I was keen to have.
In fact, I needn't have worried. Instructions were clear enough although some of the pictures could have been a bit better. Set up one desktop and two laptops - all Windows 7, quite easily following the HP guide and on screen instructions after connecting USB. Once that was done, used the passcode from my BT Home Hub to set up the wireless for each computer.
I like -
Printing from all around the house very quickly and also turns itself on and off which is really helpful.
Compact on my desk, smart black to match everything else and also helpful and easy to be able to remove paper & fold up front when I know I'm not going to use for a while to keep dust out.
Good quality printing - quick and quiet enough for me.
No need to have yet another USB lead connecting my computer items. (the USB lead provided was actually rather short so just as well I didn't need to use it apart from the set up)
Glad I bought this. Amazon delivered promptly as usual and a good price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could have back the hours I've wasted trying to get it set up, 30 Jan. 2015
Freestyler (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer (Accessory)
This is a disaster. I've bought many HP printers in the past and never had so much trouble setting one up. First, it comes with a piece of paper that says that the smart install feature that is the basis of the confusing multilanguage guide has been disabled. I have wasted many hours trying to get the wireless printing set up on two separate PCS, one running Windows 8.1 and the other Windows Vista, and a Mac. The Mac won't even print via USB, whereas both PCs refused to recognise that the USB was connected, even though on one occasion I printed a test document via the same USB the setup program was failing to recognise. I suppose I could use it via the USB but it's not the wireless printer I was looking for.

An update: after approximately five hours I did a complete uninstall and rebooted my Windows 8 PC. I finally got the wireless setup program to recognise I had the USB cable plugged in. I think HP should have reprinted the manual rather than just put a slip of paper in the box. I think the problem may have been that I plugged the USB in according to the instructions in the manual, whereas it's better to install from the CD first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal second printer - starter cartridge is useless, 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: HP P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer (Accessory)
Bought this as a second printer for my wife to use whilst studying for an MA. Printer is easy to set up with a windows PC including wifi (it works out of the box with an iMAC but wireless set up not easy)

Only complaint is that the starter cartridge supplied did not work other than to provide a few smudges - this was a problem as wifi set up requires you to print a test page if you are trying to set up a secure connection - it is not clear from the blurb that you do not get a proper cartridge and this should be made clearer (in fairness it is HPs problem not the supplier)

2.0 out of 5 stars Buggy and high-maintenance, 8 Dec. 2014
Alex Evans (Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer (Accessory)
Printing from this machine is an ordeal every time. Run out of paper when printing a long document? Sorry, you have to restart the whole print. Using Wifi to connect? You'll often need 3 or more attempts before it finally starts the print, even if the sending device and wifi network is right next to it. Printing any kind of basic black and white image, or god forbid, a pdf? Settle in the for the long haul - it can take upwards of 15 minutes to process (not even to print) a single page with a photographic image (even as part of a text document). A light paper jam (eg 2 sheets rather than one)? A second's pause while you try to add more paper? Give up. You'll need to hard reboot the whole thing. There isn't even a proper reset button. Previously had a Samsung, and before that a Brother, both wireless, and much more user-friendly. Wouldn't go with this one again. The quality of the print is fine, however, and it rarely suffers from paper jams at least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good item, 10 Sept. 2013
Cheap to run.
Easy to use.
Small and compact.
Eleven more words required. Seven, six, five, four, three, two one

1.0 out of 5 stars HP Laser jet, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: HP P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer (Accessory)
I bought this printer on the strength of the brand and the fact that I use HP laser jet at work and never have had any problems. However this is possibly the worst printer I have had. It arrived and immediately started printing totally black pages. This is a common fault I have since found with this printer. However I eventually managed to get it to work and decided to keep it and not send it back. When the toner cartridge ran out I replaced it and same again, totally black pages. After endless driver reinstalls and firmware updates and the odd "slap" it started to print normally. However when it came to replacing the toner cartridge again, the same totally black pages. I had had enough of this printer by now and contacted HP - they were pretty useless. There help system just sends you out emails from reps who are unable to solve the problems. I eventually had to email the president of HP and only then did I actually get somewhere. I sent the printer back. The amazon seller, waytosave, are simply wonderful. They were helpful from day one and eventually replaced the printer. My advice to you if you are thinking of buying this printer is DON'T. It is very unreliable, the refills are expensive and just do an internet search to find out there are many many unhappy HP customers with this cheap and nasty little printer. There has to be a better printer out there than this little badly put together piece of plastic. It really is awful. And HP - you try finding anything useful in there forums or actually get anywhere with their customer service - its a bit like Alice going down the rabbit hole - its designed to ultimately frustrate you and make you give up. My advice contact the president of the company directly - I did and got offered a new printer then and there after weeks of haggling with "reps" who apparently were there to help - yea right!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars WiFi? Not on my network. Rubbish! - SEE UPDATED COMMENTS, 24 Jan. 2015
This review is from: HP P1102w 8MB 18ppm A4 LaserJet Printer (Accessory)
I want to update the review I wrote from the end of my tether yesterday on this product and which I'll leave on at the foot of these new comments:

UPDATE: Following on from yesterday, I took up some very helpful suggestions from other reviewers and did eventually and thankfully manage to connect the product to my network. It helped also downloading a couple of HP printing apps to my phone and tablet.

The most useful tip was to ditch the CD installation altogether and connect the printer to my network by pressing its WiFi button and the WPS button on my router. They found each other within a few minutes and, so, the printer now appears on my network. Very simple, really.

The supporting documentation, sparse as it is, suggested that I needed to go through the CD installation after the so called HP Smartinstall (which was supposed to kick off automatically when the printer was USB-cable-connected to the netbook) turned out to be non-existent.

So, anyway, thus far, I have been able to print documents from my iPhone 4s and my Google Nexus 7 but, when sending them from my netbook, the printing process takes much longer. I assume that can be sorted out and will persevere. The interesting thing for me is that I had to rely on what others had written about their experience; the docs that came with the printer really didn't help at all.

The print quality is very good and printing from the phone and tablet has been pretty well instantaneous and has been successful sending the documents from upstairs to the printer in my office at the other end of the house.

By the way, I have still not been able to get past the part in the CD installation when I am asked to connect the printer to the netbook. It just doesn't work and, as a result, I have no supporting software installed from the CD other than a folder with a set of hyperlinks to HP shopping online. Maybe I was unlucky and got a faulty CD.

However, with grateful thanks to other contributors, I do now have a functioning printer which does the job I require of it.

Had the product information been more helpful and had it not led me down several frustrating and time-wasting paths, I'd probably feel justified in giving four or even five stars. But the irritation and annoyance caused unnecessarily by the poor supporting info means it now gets 3 stars from me which is a vast improvement on yesterday's solitary star.

############################################

ORIGINAL COMMENT: I have a perfectly functioning wireless network on which I have used a number of wireless printers over the past few years. I know my way around and have installed at least three previous printers on my network without a problem - usually within minutes of unpacking the printers.

Contrary to expectations, this printer does not come with a so-called Smartinstall program built in. It does not appear in the My Computer window and fails utterly to set up for wifi. I am totally frustrated with it after four hours of switching things on and off, unplugging, re-pliugging, installing, consulting with HP FAQs etc.. You have to use the accompanying CD but it only takes you so far. It does not install properly as a wifi printer.

It prints: yes, but only via the USB connection which proves it is connected to my netbook. However, during the CD installation process, there comes a point when I am asked to connect the printer to the netbook via the USB cable (see picture). At this point, I do so again and again and again and it sticks on telling me that it is 'waiting for you to connect the product'. Useless, bloody useless! I am not techy but I am also not an idiot.Can anyone suggest what to do?

The on-CD manual is no help because it assumes the installation program will automatically go beyond the 'waiting for you to connect the product' bit when you connect the printer via the USB: BUT IT DOESN'T!!!