on 15 December 2012
After some years I finally bought my first smart phone. The old Nokia brick though still going strong was getting "amusing" comments from my peers. I didn't want to spend more than £100, oh maybe £200 then, well maybe £300 but thats it.

So by chance the (LG made) Nexus 4 was just about to come out, but by the time it did they had sold out within 30 minutes. Put off wondering when the next batch was due, I was told about the LG Optimus 4x HD which looked just as good on spec's. And I think in some respects even better with the option to expand the memory via SD card and didn't need a micro sim card either unlike the Nexus 4 - Wasnt looking forward to choping up my giffgaff sim! In addition the phones price was very good in comparison to similar well known brands out there. I would say I got a lot of phone for the money.

I made the purchase and got delivery of the phone within the estimated time. Prior to this i was contacted by the sellers as they were having problems locating a LG charger. Instead they told me a HTC one would be sent and assured me it would work fine. Was a little warey of this being my first phone but can say they were correct. The charger and phone are working together as they should. No problems at all with the product or the sellers. Would be happy to purchase from them again.

The phone itself is a lovely design. Body nice, being 'more' square around the corners than its competitors, makes it stand out slightly from the crowd. Very slim with nice detailing all around (shame i bought a case that hides it) and above all feels solid though not heavy. Screen image quality is amazingly crisp, bright and a good size. The glass looks nearly frameless.
The battery life is good. I did a lot of reading up on smart phones and a common issue seems to be great phone but the battery doesn't last long. I'd say I'm not a heavy user but have used it for a variety of items - phone, sms, iplayer, youtube, including wi-fi running all day, occasionally maps with gps on, and its coped very well with more than enough to get me through to the next day or two.
Finally the seller included a free screen protector, nice. How do you apply those things without going nuts! Hate the bubbles. In the end i gave up as even though the screen was clean I'd took so long trying, the film seemed to have picked up some airborne dirt on the sticky side. Are there evening classes out there for this kinda thing??
A happy ending for my first smart phone purchase.
on 30 March 2013
There are not enough superlatives to express what an incredible mobile this is. I would be confident to write that value for money there is, at present, nothing that even comes close to this phone.
Last week I purchased the Sony xperia z, it was nearly twice the cost. This week I purchased the LG for a family member and couldn't believe the cost per performance ratio. I will not bore the reader with the specs they are already printed. What I wanted to write is I have no idea how LG can produce such a mobile at this price.
may I add I still own the Samsung Galaxy S11 and S3 plus the Galaxy Note, non of those better the LG yet cost double?
Had I known about the LG when I purchased the Sony Xperia Z I would have HAD to look twice.
Providing the LG proves reliable it would become the best value for money mobile I have ever purchased. Feels better quality in the hand to the Samsung but the Sony knocks all of them out of the ball park in terms of build, construction and quality of materials. I need to add it should considering it cost twice the price! I am rather disappointed I didn't find the LG before the Sony or the S3.
How is it I never even heard of this mobile before yesterday? Must be the mobile worlds best kept secret?
on 6 December 2012
Exceptional phone on par with latest iphone or samsung offering. Got mine free on 2 year deal 15 pound a month. So fast and responsive compared to what I had before. Does everything you could want. Sure if money is no object get the iPhone 5 but this is a superb alternative. Very pleased.
on 22 May 2013
This phone is quite brilliant in performance wise. It may not be the top choice in smartphone market but it is quite a good smartphone. I am a first time Android user and this phone definitely seems to be a good choice for me. Some of the aspects of the phone I would like to point out:

Battery: I have to charge my phone once two days.
Performance: There is no lag issue. Everything seems to run smoothly.
Gaming: I don't play games that much on the phone but there is no lag playing games like Dead Space.
Durability and design: It seems to be quite durable despite the plastic-built back cover and the design is sleek. Nice overall.

Do not think that there is anything to mention other than that. Overall, it is quite a good phone but not the best choice in Android smartphone market.
on 7 January 2013
The first thing that strikes you is the fantastic pinsharp screen, perfect for videos; its easily possible to use like a kindle. The forward facing camera is fantastic so much so I nolonger use my laptop for skype. Call quality is also excellent. The quadcore processor allows you to move seemlesly between pages - you don't need any faster. The battery also easily lasts the full day (usually two on reasonable usage) and the handset has a real quality feel.
Only 3 issues for some people; not 4g, no Jelly bean and camera sometimes struggles in low light.
In conclusion a fantastic superfast phone. I don't know how you could satisfy the extra money for the S3 yes the camera might be slightly better and it be marginally faster but the 4x HD has a better screen, more robust feel and the speed difference ist'nt noticable.
on 20 September 2012
This phone is totally amazing, with a quad core processor this phone is fast and the touchscreen is very responsive!
The phone it self is very light and the battery life is very good compared to other smartphones.
Its easy to use the camera quality 8mp is very good and clear the NFC is very easy and works well, if you can't afford the samsung galaxy s3 defiantly go for this handset quad core processor 8mp camera running icecream sandwhich with NFC can't go wrong great price!
Both this phone £160 pounds with all contents sealed. The seller was superb, the delievery fast.
This phone is a quad core 1.5ghz and a tegra 3 gpu, the performance is blazing fast and there are no lags what so ever.
Having previously used a samsung s3, grand duos and nexus 4, I can confidently say this phone matches and performs even better than most of these in performance. Although the s3 has a better camera quality, you can still take superb outdoor images with this device, if you are looking for a very capable quadcore device, go for this phone, there's nothing to regret.
on 21 September 2012
A great hd phone with a fantastic screen the lg tags to preset the phone to your liking as soon as you get home or in the car. The camera is fantastic and a quad core processor just tops it off
on 26 November 2013
Had this for about 5 months now and it is AMAZING , much better than my old iphone 4. It has a bigger screen and it never lags out, the glass itself is also really tough. Would defo reccomend as i am typing this review on it now and the touchscreen is soooo responsive but not overly sensitive. Also i would say the headphones you get with it are really good.
on 30 March 2013
I began looking for a new phone after nearly three years with my mid 2010 model HTC Desire, arguably the finest Android smartphone of it's time. Due to issues with ever depleting battery life, natural wear and tear, plus difficulty with handling and storing many of the latest resource intensive apps, I felt the time was right to scope out a suitable replacement.

I began considering some examples from Samsung, as have owned and used products from this manufacturer and been very impressed with each experience. However, prices for the Galaxy SIII and the Note 2 were prohibitive in my opinion. I also ventured down the Google Nexus 4 line, with it's excellent specs and reasonable pricing. I however learned that the Google customer experience had been quite appalling in some instances, plus the Nexus 4 did not have expandable storage. This was a massive issue for me, as my phone serves as a personal music player ~80% of it's usage time.

I did note however that the Nexus 4 was made by LG, so I began looking at comparable models from this manufacturer. The LG P880 Optimus 4X HD offers a great screen, fast processor, slim-premium form factor and expandable storage. It's considerably more wallet conscious than comparable smart phones too, a factor I am sure is a result of a limited marketing budget.

Screen resolution is a factor in many reviews, with the Google Nexus 4 hailed for it's incredible screen. Honestly, I can't see the significance myself. The screen on the Optimus 4X is beautiful, bright and crisp. I find it a pleasure to use when browsing websites or using apps. Battery life is also an issue highlighted by some reviews/users. My own personal experience has been that the battery life is very good. I typically charge every two days, which is much better than I was ready to expect.

There are two minor disappointments with this phone for me: firstly, when typing on the touchscreen keyboard there is not a big distance between the 'space bar' and the 'Home' button below. This can result in an abrupt, unexpected return to the homescreen when typing a message. Your message isn't lost, you can bring it straight back up, but this is an inconvenience nonetheless. Secondly, a very handy battery saving feature can potentially slow you down: when the phone is idle, things like WiFi scanner will not operate which is great for preserving juice. However, if you are browsing a website, put your phone away for 30 seconds and then remember something else you wanted to look at, the WiFi has to scan and reconnect before you can begin browsing again. Once again, a very minor inconvenience.

My experience with this phone has been absolutely positive. I'm delighted with my decision to choose the LG P880 Optimus 4X HD and would be happy to recommend it to others. Word is that a new software update to Android Jelly Bean is due to arrive in the next few days, so that's another good reason to pull the trigger on this purchase. Good luck and enjoy!