5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best
I have just re-started drawing and painting after 37 years so I have been looking for guides on the "new" medium of coloured pencils. This book is comprehensive and detailed, superb value for money. I haven't stopped reading and using it since it arrived.

Published on 31 Jan 2011 by slowpack

3.0 out of 5 stars Coloured Pencil Painting Bible
The information in the book is excellent, However, I found it too technical and soon lost interest. Many other books are available which ease the reader into making improvements in their own work.
Published 19 months ago by Cami del Son Moro

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best, 31 Jan 2011

One reviewer thinks it is just for "serious artists" and criticises the examples for lack of detail, but I disagree. The book starts with general topics such as materials, design, light, colours and mixing then it goes on to techniques such as strokes, layering, fusing, creating textures and graded tones. All of this is clearly explained and in detail. To make the point about the detail, I have another book that simply says to use a "solvent" for blending and smoothing brush strokes - but it does not say which solvent. Nickelsen has a full page on the properties of solvent and demonstrates techniques for using solvent in the examples. She uses Gamsol, which is American, and not as easy to get here so I am trying Winsor & Newton's Sansodor.

There are 12 exercises, all in sufficient detail, if you have gone through the previous chapters. An important feature of the book is that she discusses drawing techniques. In her examples she traces photographs and then uses graphite paper to make outlines of the subjects on the drawing paper. For purists and skilled artists this mya seem to be cheating but for anyone who is not a skilled drawer, this is a very good way to encourage them to try to paint.

The author uses Prismacolor pencils so if you want to copy the examples exactly you will need that make. However, in the UK they are sold by less stockists than e.g. Faber Castell and most only sell boxed sets. I have found only one seller so far the sells singles and that is (...). On the other hand, if you already have another brand you could use the nearest colours just to practice the techniques.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing realism, 20 May 2011
If you ever wanted to know how to render water, wood, cloth, glass, brass and any number of fruits and vegetables accurately in coloured pencil this is the book for you. Simply set out in a number of projects with clear breakdowns of the stages this is very helpful. I'm not entirely sure that creating photo realism is really 'art' but its amazing to see what can be done with such an oft-underestimated medium and a lot of patience!
I wouldn't exactly call it a bible because it only covers a few areas noted above. It does not cover animals, people or landscapes and also it's a shame that the author dismisses water colour pencils and concentrates only on coloured pencil. Other books (such as the Complete Colour Pencil Book by Bernard Poulin) combine them with watercolour pencils which appeals to me. Hopefully this will provide ideas that can be applied with other media.
Overall a good specialist book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful bible for coloured pencil artists, 5 Dec 2009
I can recommend this book to anyone interested in colored pencils - beginners + experienced artists. Never found so many helpful and interesting facts on the subject in another book (and I have quite a few). Try it out - you won't regret it!
Alyona covers all - comparison of material, techniques.. it is gorgeous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Coloured pencil painting bible, 1 May 2010
This is well worth buying even if you have not tried coloured pencil. The pictures are wonderful, and the information is excellent. There are also exercise to try towards the end of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for any artist., 7 Sep 2010
M. Godwin (Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent for any artist working with pencils, water soluble pencils and watercolours but there is also a lot of information which could be applied to other mediums. I have been amazed at the pictures I have produced by following these techniques, even though I am a complete novice. Instructions are clear and well presented, with lots of hints and tips and I have been able to source all the materials necessary from suppliers in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coloured Pencil Painting Bible, 29 July 2010
This is one of the best tuition books I have read. Although it is based on coloured pencils, it also gives a great insight into the fundamentals of creating pictures that can apply to all media. Easy to read and an excellent reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colored Pencil Painting Bible: Techniques for Acjieving Luminous Color and Ultra-realistic Effects., 23 Jun 2011
J. M. Nyss - See all my reviews
I bought this truly amazing book recently and can only say that it has inspired me to take up art again after a long break.I had to drop art at school to do typing what a mistake! I have always admired the medium of coloured pencil and have found this book truly inspirational. It gives good practical knowledge of composition and colour theory etc which is helpful after such a long break. I have been practising the techniques in the book and contrary to other reviewers do not feel that allot of specialist equipment is needed. I have a limited pencil selection at the moment but have managed to produce some good results with practice. The projects are practical and detailed. It goes without saying that the artwork produced by Alyona is truly amazing. My young sons are even amazed at the ultra-realistic effects you can acieve with the medium and it takes allot to impress them. I would definately recommend this book to anyone who wants an in depth discussion of the subject and detailed practical advice on the techniques developed by Alyona. In conclusion I can only say thank you to Alyona for this wonderful book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Coloured Pencil Painting Bible, 17 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" reference book for the colored pencil artist, 25 Feb 2011
J. Mitchell (UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a refence book which would help me master the basics but also help me to get better results. This book certainly does that.

As a hobby artist who is new to this medium (I usually work in watercolour or acrylics) I wanted something that was helpful to a "newbie" but didn't assume I was lacking in all intelligence as some books do.

Alyona's style, use of colour and explaination of how she achieves the finish are superb. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to be inspired.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only for serious artists, 5 Sep 2010
Although this book teach us how to paint like the author, it is required to buy expensive instruments, which for me are not an option. So when it says that it is a book for everyone, it's not.
It also has too much explanations for me and little practice (there are several examples, but most are not step-by-step illustrations).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›