on 8 December 2013
Given that the Overland to Iran and beyond trip is one of the greatest feats of driving, driver stamina and ingenuity in the 20th century, this book is as as exciting as a trip to Tesco's. It is badly written and peppered with spelling mistakes. Given that Smurf -and yes, I have met him on those trips - is an undoubted professional, the account of the trips should have been more exciting with more personal insights. It was undoubtedly true with its accounts of running bent with Mickey Mouse permits and all the other dodges and irregularities that we had to get up to, it is just boring.
on 28 April 2014
I found this book entertaining but as an ex middle east driver myself I did find quit a few discrepancies namely.
the writer says it was a good 8 days drive from Istanbul to Baghdad ,I did this trip many times and found it to be a leisurely 4 days drive ,after all it is only about 1100 miles.
Also all the check points the writer describes across Turkey i must have been asleep as I do not remember seeing any of them.
Further more how did he get into Iraq without first getting his Iraqi visa at either Istanbul ore Ankara.
But on the whole I enjoyed it.
on 28 April 2013
Good steady read never did Middle East run when I was over the water but I enjoyed his trips and tales.
on 13 March 2015
Written as the author speaks so don't expect Shakespear. Lots of laughs and I wanted to pour coffee down my neck and ship out. I really enjoyed this book(Kindle edt), couldn't put it down.
on 16 August 2014
funny and interesting what more can you ask for in a book would and have recommend any time thanks for writing it smurf
on 18 June 2015
pure rubbish this guy has never done the middle east
on 8 November 2014